Philadelphia Record Stores?

Going to Philly Sunday, would like to know the best used/new record shops. I've heard a lot about Repo records so looking to go there. Anyone have favorites in the Philly area? A quick google search brought up too many to hit in one afternoon. Wouldn't mind hitting up a hip-hop/DJ's vinyl shop too.

Long in the Tooth

2027 Sansom Street

Philadelphia, PA 19103

AKA Music

27 North 2nd Street

Philadelphia, PA 19106

Sound of Market (has jazz & hip hop)

15 South 11th Street

Philadelphia, PA 19107

there was a spot on 4th, right off of South Street that was all DJ/Hip-Hop, not sure if it's still there, and two or three stores down from that is Noise Pollution, which is pretty awesome too, the owner is great for talking to about music.

I've been to AKA, Repo, Philly Rec Exchange, and Long in the Tooth, and LitT is by far my favorite. The dude who runs the place is super cool, and you can get great deals on used records. Their 7"s typically run a bit on the expensive side. I forgot about BWS, definitely need to head over there some time.

Although I'd say Long in the Tooth is my favorite store in the city, I'd also agree that Beautiful World Syndicate is worth a trip too... In recent months, I've picked up the first Murder By Death and William Elliott Whitmore/ Flaccid Trip 7"s for $1.99 a piece. The down side of BWS for me is the lack of organization there, but that's just me. I usually don't have enough time to go through everything.

went to:

Long in the Tooth

Repo Records

Beautiful World Syndicate

AKA Music

Noise Pollution

Sound of Market

Philadelphia Record Exchange

Favorite was Long in the Tooth by far. BWS was pretty good too and prices were right. Sound of Market doesn't have Jazz/Rock vinyl anymore on the 3rd floor which sucked. Got a couple cheap hip-hop records though. A ton more used Hip-Hop records in Philly in general which was refreshing to see, as all the Jersey shops I've been to have a weak rap selection. Thanks for the help.

• 1 year later...

There are a couple newish shops. Sit & Spin in South Philly if you're into punk, crust and metal. There is also Milk Crate Cafe in Fishtown a bit past Johnny Brendas. They have stuff on the wall, but you'll find better records downstairs.

There are a few I didn't see mentioned. Tequila Sunrise records which is on Girard and I believe 5th (INCREDIBLY disorganized. You will have to dig, but you will find great stuff). The Marvelous which is off 49th and Baltimore in West Philly (interesting selection, a lot to look through). Molly's Books & Records in the Italian Market (Smaller shop that caters to a bit of an older crowd, heavy on rock, psych, etc. But some modern stuff too). 

I would recommend hitting up Long In the Tooth for the used section. They can be a bit pricey but have a great selection. Sure as hell beats Repo and AKA's markups for sure. 

If you want to dig up some gems for a low price hit up Beautiful World, Noise Pollution, and Philadelphia Record Exchange (moved to Frankford Ave). I have pulled out some incredibly rare stuff for around $1 from all 3.

To get to the sports venues just take the Broad Street Line. No traffic but you will have to deal with the normal crazies and some awful smells. 

Repo is good for just essentials, indie hipster stuff. They have some decent bootlegs of 90's rock stuff though (Nirvana, Pearl Jam)

Long In The Tooth is great for punk, hardcore, indie. They have a good sized used section and great prices.

Beautiful World is great too. Not as organized but some real gems can be found sometimes.

Main Street Music is a better version of Repo. Mostly indie rock but priced really well, and they're used stuff is cheap and sometimes older punk and metal stuff is really cheap there. (I got an original copy of the Misfits - Evilive there for $5.)

AKA sucks. Overpriced. The smallest used section in an Philly store, and all the new records can be found elsewhere for less.

Philly Record Exchange has a lot of cheap hip-hop and rap.

Noise Pollution is fun to dig through too. 

But if you want to go to THE BEST record store IMO, drive the 45 minutes north to Double Decker Records in Allentown. You'll cry at what they have. Hundreds of new things added daily. And it's all amazing stuff. The only problem is it all sells really quickly, so you have to buy it up when you see it. 

Beautiful World is in my neighborhood and yeah I agree that their stuff is in not-so-good shape most of the time. I've stopped shopping there because of that... their listening stations are in worse shape than the records, so you can't even gauge reliably with a listen.

Long in the Tooth and Repo are my favorite stores in the city by a long shot. Double Decker and Princeton Record Exchange are the best "area" stores (ie, within an hour drive) - usually make trips to one or the other a couple times a month. Well worth the drive.