RIP Lookout Records

Just saw this: http://consequenceofsound.net/2012/01/r-i-p-lookout-records/

[image]

Lookout! Records, the Berkeley, California-based record label and one-time home of Green Day, Operation Ivy, Rancid, The Donnas, Alkaline Trio, and countless others, is no more, according to the label’s former signee Ted Leo. In a message posted on his website, Leo revealed that while the label had ceased putting out new material in 2006, it was still printing back catalogs until December. Now, however, the label has “sadly, shuttered its windows for good,” explained Leo.

Leo, who released four Ted Leo and the Pharmacists records through Lookout! during the early 2000s, went on to note that “these records have reverted to my complete ownership.” The transition has caused these albums to be taken down from digital services, but Leo said that he hopes to have them back online soon. As for the physical releases, Leo said the records are “officially out of print and will likely not be repressed for a while (but I’m sure I’ll get around to it eventually).” He does, however, have a stockpile of old physical albums that he may sell through his own online webstore.

It’s unclear what the news means for other former Lookout! artists, though artists like Green Day, Avail, and Screeching Weasels previously reclaimed ownership of their work from the label in the mid-2000s. The label’s website has not been updated since March 2011.

every time i checked their website during the past few years it's said their web store had been closed, so to me the label died when that happened. unless they still did mail order or something i was unaware of?

still a great label that put out some great stuff. they will indeed be missed.

oooOOOOooooo. This.

If we're dreaming here, it'd be nice if they did a 3xLP with Hedgecore and all the other odds and ends as well.

yeah, thats why we need a pressing of Seedy, or at least all the material on it, possibly under a different name. i understand it's a bootleg that the band and lookout had nothing to do with.

If we're dreaming here, it'd be nice if they did a 3xLP with Hedgecore and all the other odds and ends as well.

yeah, thats why we need a pressing of Seedy, or at least all the material on it, possibly under a different name. i understand it's a bootleg that the band and lookout had nothing to do with.

this exists. i was at a record store a couple weeks ago and found a bootleg called "the rare shit" and i think side B was the Seedy CD, i'm sure you'll be able to find it on ebay

i understand it's a bootleg that the band and lookout had nothing to do with.

the band and an ex-lookouter actually had everything to do with it.

reeaaally?

thats good news.

pretty much the whole time i've been aware of the band (since, eh, 98?) i've assumed it was a bootleg.

the band and an ex-lookouter actually had everything to do with it.

reeaaally?

thats good news.

pretty much the whole time i've been aware of the band (since, eh, 98?) i've assumed it was a bootleg.

Seedy CD, black pressing of '69 Newport 7", and white pressing of Plea for Peace 7" are all legit releases.