What would you do? (eBay drama)

I had a similar situation happen to me once, and what I'd suggest is this:

a) Call Paypal directly and explain the situation to them.

B) Provide proof of delivery and point out the buyer left positive feedback, thus fulfilling your obligation as a seller

c) Provide, if needed, the e-mail exchange after the fact, showing that you did offer a solution, but the buyer rejected it.

Basically, what you want to do is have them flag the account. Because what they can do is "credit" your Paypal account with the money, even if they end up refunding him. But you just have to state your case and provide a valid argument. I have found it is easier dealing with these conflicting/confusing types of issues over the phone, because if you rely on some random Paypal employee to figure it out, they won't be smart enough to get it.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a similar situation happen to me once, and what I'd suggest is this:

a) Call Paypal directly and explain the situation to them.

B) Provide proof of delivery and point out the buyer left positive feedback, thus fulfilling your obligation as a seller

c) Provide, if needed, the e-mail exchange after the fact, showing that you did offer a solution, but the buyer rejected it.

Basically, what you want to do is have them flag the account. Because what they can do is "credit" your Paypal account with the money, even if they end up refunding him. But you just have to state your case and provide a valid argument. I have found it is easier dealing with these conflicting/confusing types of issues over the phone, because if you rely on some random Paypal employee to figure it out, they won't be smart enough to get it.

Thanks for the advice! I'll give PayPal a call.

Scott would have never known that it was warped, as he didnt open it. It could have been warped when he bought it, as he has stated. This guy really just wants his money back and is thinking about ways to throw it on the seller to get it. I work in service industry, and maybe I would have emailed the label first and explained the situation and I'm sure they would have helped. If not, ebay is a mostly as is shop, especially when buying records from places other than legit(not saying you aren't) distros and actual stores. I would honestly show all of the emails to paypal. You can call them and dispute claims over the phone, I would imagine. I would ask for a confernece call, or at least w way for you to show them these and have him explain the issue, and possibly also a video of it skipping.

Where do you work at ducksworth, because honestly, I never wanna deal with you?

You'd actually want to deal with me. I have the best customer service. I'm going to sell you the cheapest & best fit for your needs (regardless of my potential profit). If there are any problems. You're getting your money back no questions asked. Its must easier for me to give someone their money back than deal with a shitstorm. If I was dealing with this situation, it would have never reached this level. My first response would have been a return or partial refund. Something where both the buyer & seller can be satisfied.

And to answer your question of where I work, I run multiple online stores for a small business. I deal with customers through email all day, every day. And my personal 10 year eBay selling anniversary was last week.

Where do you work? I'm buying one of everything.

Fuck that dude. Please post his ebay username so the rest of us can add him to our "blocked" list. Good luck man, I hope ebay/paypal doesn't end up screwing you on this.

His eBay handle is shelikesthequiet.

Thank you! For anyone else who wants to do this here is a direct link to the "block bidders" form:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BidderBlockLogin

Yeah! Lets block this guy! Serves him right. Hope he likes some VC justice....

Or in reality it appears the guy is a top notch seller & he likes to buy too. Do you really think someone with 4354 feedback is trying to rip someone off? Ha! This board is so dumb.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=shelikesthequiet&ftab=FeedbackAsBuyer

His eBay handle is shelikesthequiet.

Thank you! For anyone else who wants to do this here is a direct link to the "block bidders" form:

We should probably start a separate thread for people to just post their blocked-bidders list. Mine's gotten pretty substantial.

Scott would have never known that it was warped, as he didnt open it. It could have been warped when he bought it, as he has stated. This guy really just wants his money back and is thinking about ways to throw it on the seller to get it. I work in service industry, and maybe I would have emailed the label first and explained the situation and I'm sure they would have helped. If not, ebay is a mostly as is shop, especially when buying records from places other than legit(not saying you aren't) distros and actual stores. I would honestly show all of the emails to paypal. You can call them and dispute claims over the phone, I would imagine. I would ask for a confernece call, or at least w way for you to show them these and have him explain the issue, and possibly also a video of it skipping.

You'd actually want to deal with me. I have the best customer service. I'm going to sell you the cheapest & best fit for your needs (regardless of my potential profit). If there are any problems. You're getting your money back no questions asked.

Careful...SRC is watching.

We should probably start a separate thread for people to just post their blocked-bidders list. Mine's gotten pretty substantial.

Do it! That's a great idea!

You'd actually want to deal with me. I have the best customer service. I'm going to sell you the cheapest & best fit for your needs (regardless of my potential profit). If there are any problems. You're getting your money back no questions asked. Its must easier for me to give someone their money back than deal with a shitstorm. If I was dealing with this situation, it would have never reached this level. My first response would have been a return or partial refund. Something where both the buyer & seller can be satisfied.

And to answer your question of where I work, I run multiple online stores for a small business. I deal with customers through email all day, every day. And my personal 10 year eBay selling anniversary was last week.

Ok, so if I do, you're still not giving up where it is you work. What kindd of stuff do you sell Mr. 10 years on ebay?

Ok, so if I do, you're still not giving up where it is you work. What kindd of stuff do you sell Mr. 10 years on ebay?

I've posted my personal eBay on this board multiple times & I sell whatever I can (books, records, art, clothing, tickets, etc). Where I'm currently employed doesn't really matter, but I sell computer media, CD/DVD duplication or replication, custom printing, etc.

Yeah! Lets block this guy! Serves him right. Hope he likes some VC justice....

Or in reality it appears the guy is a top notch seller & he likes to buy too. Do you really think someone with 4354 feedback is trying to rip someone off? Ha! This board is so dumb.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=shelikesthequiet&ftab=FeedbackAsBuyer

I don't think he's trying to rip scott off at all, but the question is who's problem is it. The item was as described. Scott gave an alternative - if he contacts the label and they say no then maybe Scott should accept a return, but so far the guy has only complained and name called.

The guy maybe responded inappropriately but it doesn't mean everyone should block/crucify him...

Just my 2 cents...

I'm personally not trying to crucify him, but this situation could have happened to any one of us and I for one would not ever like to deal with this individual. Selling on ebay is risky enough without dealing with people who have been known to file (what I consider) to be an illegitimate paypal claim. I've built my block list (both for ebay and outside of it) off of what people say in the bad sellers/traders thread because 99% of VC posters are good honest, people and I trust their judgement.

guys, the record could have easily been warped. i buy records from time to time that are shrinkwrapped and warped so it happens. the buyer can be telling the truth and not lying just to get a free record. some of you are total simps with your assumptions.

now the guy probably didn't start off by emailing in a positive manner, but if i didn't know someone and they just told me to "get ahold of the label" it terse it would kinda upset me too. i would totally take it as a "not my problem" gesture. Scott could have easily stated his reasoning behind not doing so himself and then offered to refund on return of the item if nothing happens. it would have been a good faith gesture. it could have calmed down the buyer. some people get upset easy and while it's not the sellers responsibility to calm them down or alleviate the matter, it's a good practice to have nonetheless, whether in business or personal. i've done so on many occasions on things that were not my responsibility in the least. it helps in cases like these.

It sucks but this guy will probably end up with his money back. I agree with whoever said the scales are always tipped in favor of the buyer. eBay has "buyer protection" on every auction and it's basically a guaranteed return policy/refund if the buyer is unhappy. I've dealt with it when a seller shipped a naked amazon kindle in a bubble mailer 3 times its size and it cracked upon arrival (I happen to know it was the postman trying to shove the whole thing into our tiny mailbox). Then the dude didn't want to give me refund. It sucks for him, but he didn't pack that shit even close to right.

The way most eBay cases work is that the case will escalate if it isn't closed within 4-7 days and basically eBay will hold both of your hands through the return policy (buyer ships it back with a tracking number, eBay initiates refund when it returns to the seller). That's what happened with me anyway.

The only time I returned a record was because it had more surface scratches than described (it was listed as NM), and the seller promptly returned my money upon the item's return. I think this route is probably easiest for you Scott, eBay refunds all the fees and then you can just relist it or second chance offer it to the next highest bidder and they will most likely buy it.

What's with all this "free record" talk also? Of course have him ship it back and wait to receive it before offering the refund, no other logical way to do it.

Y'all wanna have your minds blown?

I just got an email saying eBay settled the dispute already—it took 'em only, what, three hours? That's nuts. So I'm bracing for the verdict, and when I open the email, I see this:

eBay has decided to refund the buyer. You are not required to reimburse the buyer or eBay, and this case will not be counted in your seller performance evaluation.

Everything's coming up Milhouse!