want your opinions on my recent experience.

So I sold something on ebay to a guy in Canada. He messaged me before bidding asking how much I would charge for shipping internationally and I told him 11.50. He ended up winning the auction and paid. When I went to ship it, it only ended up costing me 6.60 to ship to him. He recieved the record today and sent me a message going nuts about why he paid almost double for the shipping. Am I wrong or does it matter since he agreed to pay what I told him for shipping? Would appreciate your guys' input.

So I sold something on ebay to a guy in Canada. He messaged me before bidding asking how much I would charge for shipping internationally and I told him 11.50. He ended up winning the auction and paid. When I went to ship it, it only ended up costing me 6.60 to ship to him. He recieved the record today and sent me a message going nuts about why he paid almost double for the shipping. Am I wrong or does it matter since he agreed to pay what I told him for shipping? Would appreciate your guys' input.

I would give him a refund of $4. Don't even know why this is a thread.

You are legally, technically right but maybe not morally right. You didn't know it would be more but now that you know and you can do something about it.

Nobody likes over-paying for shipping. If you gave him a few bucks in return sans your gas/materials/record mailer I'm sure he would be happy.

depends... if the dude sent you a message and kindly asked for a refund then yes i would give him one. if he immediately started being a dick i would not since he originally agreed to it. side note: always ask to not have the postage shown when you go to mail it, otherwise people will ask for refunds of like $0.30 and shit.

If you use the paypal labels doesn't that hide the shipping costs? You should do that in the future.

Anyways you have two options that I see.

Refund him some money and say you made a mistake

or

Pocket the money and risk getting bad feedback.

Gas ain't cheap yo...

Haha in all honesty, the post office is literally a block away from me so I usually walk there. I really didn't care about pocketing the extra 5 bucks. I sent him the difference after he asked (even though he didn't exactly ask in a polite way). It was my first time shipping something internationally so I just wanted to see what you guys usually do.

As a buyer located in Canada, I can say that I'd like to have the difference refunded. It certainly pisses me off when I get charged $10+ on shipping then see a little $5.80 postage sticker on the mailer.

I paid you $12 + shipping for that record. Not $12 + shipping + 'here man, have an extra $5'.

/rant