RSD Let-Downs?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope alot of this markup is going to the stores

Unfortunately, it's not. Stores only have a 25-30% mark up on RSD stuff. Some stores obviously tack on a few extra bucks but for the most part, stores don't get anywhere near the mark up they should. Especially since this is a day for record stores to make extra money.

Another RSD letdown is people taking photos of shit in grass for eBay photos (check his other auctions too):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polka-Dot-Ozzy-Osbourne-Believer-Live-7-Vinyl-RSD-1543-/330722150058?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item4d009386aa#ht_500wt_1287

I said it in another thread, but I'll say it again. Biggest disappointment is the sound quality on EMPIRE RECORDS.

I don't want to overstate it, as it's not like totally distorted defective crazy bad...But it IS poorly mastered/pressed. It's a double LP, with only 3-4 songs per side, so it should have plenty of room for quality sonics.

But the sonics are just squashed sounding. Everything sounds a little muffled and distant and by the last song on each side, noticeable distortion. I seriously want to know what plant pressed this shit. Inexcusable.

Anyways, I will end on a positive note that FREAKBEAT RECORDS in Los Angeles does RSD right. They let people in 10 at a time, you give them your list, and they prepare it for you behind the counter. No mad rush.

Before they open, they go down the line making their own list, asking what your #1 want is. They reserve it for you if they have it in stock by the time they reach you in line. So basically, if you are 150th in line, but you reserve the last RYAN ADAMS they have in stock, you get it because it's your #1...Not the first guy in line who just had it on his list of 20 titles. That guy gets HIS number 1, and whatever else HASN'T been reserved. I was 20th in line (out of about 150) and got ALL 9 items on my list.

It's a great way to ensure that if you wait in line, you WILL get at least SOMETHING you really want.

• 2 weeks later...
R$D IS A LET DOWN BY ITSELF...

Seriously, fuck RSD and the hobbyists it caters to. I'm glad I was able to pick up a couple of overpriced items, but the whole day is about pure greed and materialism, and that sucks.

I stood in line for over 2 hours to get El Camino by the Black Keys, only to stop in the following Wednesday and see 7 copies on the shelf. According to Nonesuch they pressed 13,500 copies of this "limited release". There's probably 11,000 of them on ebay.

The Bronx's mentality toward live performances is to be as loud and aggressive as possible, so that's why its faster, too.

I thought I went deaf when I saw them live, it was full-volume for sure.

Yeah these guys definitely give Motorhead a run for their money volume wise. I saw them in a tiny club and they CRANKED it, even with plugs in I had ringing in my ears the next day.

The split is good, they play fast but Jesus Christ a metronome? To me it sounds like a genuine live performance, I dig it. The standout on this record is the vocals on the Bronx stuff, SWEET MOTHER OF PEARL THAT DUDE CAN SCREAM!

The Bronx's mentality toward live performances is to be as loud and aggressive as possible, so that's why its faster, too.

I thought I went deaf when I saw them live, it was full-volume for sure.

Yeah these guys definitely give Motorhead a run for their money volume wise. I saw them in a tiny club and they CRANKED it, even with plugs in I had ringing in my ears the next day.

The split is good, they play fast but Jesus Christ a metronome? To me it sounds like a genuine live performance, I dig it. The standout on this record is the vocals on the Bronx stuff, SWEET MOTHER OF PEARL THAT DUDE CAN SCREAM!

Ain't nothing wrong with a tight rhythm section.

• 3 weeks later...

Received the two Luna LP's, "Rendezvous" and "Romantica", in the mail this week, and I am super let down by them. Each side of both records is over 20 minutes, which is just too much music for a single lp. No inserts of any kind. Download code was for crappy 192kbps mp3s. At $22 a pop, I was expecting a bit more.

My thoughts exactly.

I didn't even bother getting up early to hit my store by opening time. I showed at around 11am (they were open at 9) and it was a madhouse...barely any room to get by let alonw browse through the RSD bins. I left the store empty-handed after 15 minutes . Anything and everything I was looking for was long gone.

Thankfully a few VC'ers helped me out in getting some of the stuff I wanted...and a few popped up on online stores (Botch & Circle) so it all worked out for me. But I just couldn't deal with the pandemonium that was at my store.

Hearing stories like this make me happy Shake It in Cincinnati does it the way they do. Each year it's a single file line with everything lined up as you go in. Everyone goes through in order and picks what they want. No crowding or pushing, good conversations while waiting in line and if you bring a canned good and you get 10% off.

My friend and I were about 12th in line this year so we were able to get everything we wanted plus grab stuff for friends and help out some people behind us.

The only release I would say I was disappointed in would be the Neon Indian 10". And I was only disappointed in the price. The release itself looks and sounds great.

This is exactly how Park Ave CDs in Orlando did it, all the way down to the canned goods and I loved it. It was irritating at first but they overordered everything to make sure it was in stock for people who wanted it (They still have tons left) and they got food trucks and other stuff for people waiting in line so it became a kind of community event and it was overall a pretty enjoyable wait, even though it was a long one. Everyone is also really chill in my area so it was all friendly and in good fun.