THE AVENGERS

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i need to let this out.. this film was a SEVERE letdown. i want to blame my high expectations (as both a huge avengers AND joss whedon fan) but i think that's just a cop out. this movie was bloated mess. 2 plus hours of fancy set pieces with no substance. i was bored out of my mind. don't get me wrong, there were cool moments dispersed throughout.. and plenty of sequences to totally geek out on (the "one-take" action scene is pretty amazing).. but to me it really played out as 'iron man 2' II. flashy effects and one-liners but nothing else. (very-slight-spoiler ahead..) when the avengers became critical of sheild and it's involvement, i thought "this was the joss whedon movie i was expecting".. but then iron man said something smarmy, and the 15th fight scene broke out. (spoiler done!) having said all of that, the hulk was used extremely effective in this, and i cant wait for the (third) hulk reboot.

i don't want to be the one going against the grain on this.. but please tell me there was someone else out there as frustrated as me with this movie!

EDIT: CHODE PRIDE!!!!

What do you honestly expect from a SUMMER BLOCKBUSTER SUPERHERO MOVIE?

an engaging film. a captivating thriller. high stakes. honestly, i would never raise my nose to a good balls-to-the-wall action blockbuster. but with the question you posed, i should be equally enthralled with green lantern or the transformers. they're both high-budget, high-octane films. let's just turn our brains off and have a blast!

but again, its obvious that the avengers is a much better film than those. i guess it does have to do with personal expectations, and how i expect filmmakers such as joss whedon to subvert those expectations (especially after JUST seeing cabin in the woods last week.) because honestly, i DO expect my "summer blockbuster superhero movies" to give me something more than explosions and highly-choreographed fight scenes. and it's not like thats an unreasonable expectation, with the dark knight and even some of the previous marvel films.

the second i walked out of the theater, i did have the urge to see it again, hoping i would pick up on what i felt was missing. i just felt as though while some films may start out at 1 or 2, rise to 9 or 10, and then ease off back to 1, the avengers started at a loud 11, but then stayed at 11 for two straight hours, until my ears started to bleed. I CANT BE THE ONLY ONE!

Fucking awesome film.

Wish they would've been able to get Edward Norton back on for Hulk though.

no way, i loved edward nortons hulk, but rufallo blew him out of the water. i dont think norton can get the intensity that ruffalo did with black widow. the hulk/loki scene was the most awesome ten seconds ever (and i know that has nothing to with ruffalo).

cant praise this movie enough. it had some cheese in a few parts but i mean come on, captain america was all cheese in the first avenger. whedon stepped up his dialogue and i hate to say it, cuz i really am not into the guy but chris evans hit the mark. the only character i was disappointed with was hawkeye. in the first half of the film he was like a stone but that may be what they were going for.

will be taking my little brother and dad to see this next weekend.

SOO glad they finally did something cool with the Hulk. Ruffalo was great, Ed Norton can do very little wrong. It was just about writing a story that allows the Hulk to cut loose and have enemies that can at least give him some trouble (picking up tanks by their turret and hurling them isn't that cool after a while).

Never read the infinity gauntlet stuff. Gonna have to get those books. Assuming they aren't that expensive (given that they came out in the 90s).

My opinion: it was as good as any of the recent superhero movies not made by Christopher Nolan. Full of great action and funny quips. It's not meant to be overly dramatic.

Hopefully the next one (assuming there will be another) will have a little more freedom given that they really weren't "the avengers" until the last maybe 45 minutes of a 2.5 hour movie. Had a lot of set-up work to do that they won't have to go through for another movie.

Anyone know what other Marvel movies the studios have committed to? I know about the Amazing Spiderman. I believe there is a Thor 2 happening. Anything going on in the x-men department? First Class was great. Would be cool if they made another with that group.

i think they're doing a sequel to first class (maybe set in the 70's this time.) they're definitely in the process of making an iron man 3 (with shane black from kiss kiss bang bang taking over.. which should get everyone excited.) there were internet rumors this week of a third hulk with mark ruffalo which gets me pretty excited, as he was my favorite character of the avengers. so yeah, even though i was let down by the avengers, i'm still pumped on marvel.

when do the Scarlett Johnasson gifs start?

When my friend and I got out of the movie I said the same thing.

I loved this movie. They totally phoned in those last two solo movies...especially Thor. I think I'll be going to see it again with another friend. Hulk was definitely my favorite character. Hulk/Loki scene was super intense. If I were watching it at home that's one I would have rewinded and re-watched a couple times. Ruffalo totally blew Edward Norton out of the water, and I'm a fan of Norton.

[image]

motherofgod.jpg

I loved this movie. They totally phoned in those last two solo movies...especially Thor. I think I'll be going to see it again with another friend. Hulk was definitely my favorite character. Hulk/Loki scene was super intense. If I were watching it at home that's one I would have rewinded and re-watched a couple times. Ruffalo totally blew Edward Norton out of the water, and I'm a fan of Norton.

And this. They were really trying to crank out the last ones quickly so that they could get the Avengers movie out there. The Iron Man movies are great because Robert Downey Jr is wonderfully cast. Though they'll never really explore his full character arc of being a crazy, detrimental drunk. He's just the douchey guy with the punchlines and the ACDC soundtrack.

And yes, Mark Ruffalo was great.

If there's anything Joss Whedon knows how to do, it's manage complex, far reaching, and intertwining character storylines.