• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically what Santiago just said. Plus, a good dependable adapter (i.e. not the cheap 25 cent ones you have to stick into the record) is only a couple of bucks. For the N&B label, I'm wanting to invoke the feel of old singles ala Stax, Motown, Casablanca, etc so we're gonna be putting them in plain paper sleeves that have been silk screened with art to make the release stand out as belonging to the label's stable.

The 2 Tone Records sleeves were boss.

My first records were 7"s so that was cool. I listen to them here and there but my record player isn't somewhere where I want to get up every 2-5 minutes to flip. I prefer LPs for convenience and for the fact I usually like to listen to an album. 7"s do keep an artist's material fresh but I hate split 7"s, 7"s with an exclusive song, and I absolutely hate the 7" series. It's a waste of time money and resources. A 7" series is also unnecessarily expensive.

That said its ridiculous not to have any 7"s. They still are relevant.

Truth! Folks who limit themselves only to LP's are missing out on a helluva lot! The 'label' I'm starting up is going to be devoted entirely to 45's (that's right, I'm taking it a step farther and requiring adapters to be on hand!), so obviously I love the smaller format.

This reminds me that a lot of people hate 10"s as well. It's weird to me. How can you be into buying record and not love playing 7"s?

I love 10"s! Maybe it's because one of my early vinyl purchases was the Tera Melos "Drugs to the Dear Youth" 10" (which is one of my favorite EPs/albums), but I think the size is cool.

In a seemingly contradictory way, I'm gonna say I don't pay attention to the size of the record and care more about what's in the grooves. There are a lot of EPs/singles that I have and love dearly, and there are a lot of full-lengths that I have and love dearly.

The large hole vs. small record hole goes back to the 40's . Two different companies (RCA and Columbia) made two different turntables, thus two different format records. Columbia made 33 rpm small hole records and RCA made large holed 45 rpm records. RCA turntables had a large spindle permanently in place and would not play small holed Columbia records.

Truth! Folks who limit themselves only to LP's are missing out on a helluva lot! The 'label' I'm starting up is going to be devoted entirely to 45's (that's right, I'm taking it a step farther and requiring adapters to be on hand!), so obviously I love the smaller format.
I've never understood the large hole. Just makes a format that's already kind of a pain in the ass a little more annoying by adding another unneeded step.

I dunno, maybe I'm just pissed because I lost my turntables built in adaptor. Whats the benefit in it?

Rochambo beat me to it, but yeah that's why it started.

As to why it continues today.. I can't really think of a good reason. It's just a style choice at this point, or nostalgia. Fodder for endless small hole/large hole jokes.

Sure it's annoying if you have lost your adaptor, but as others have said they are cheap as dirt anyway.

Basically what Santiago just said. Plus, a good dependable adapter (i.e. not the cheap 25 cent ones you have to stick into the record) is only a couple of bucks. For the N&B label, I'm wanting to invoke the feel of old singles ala Stax, Motown, Casablanca, etc so we're gonna be putting them in plain paper sleeves that have been silk screened with art to make the release stand out as belonging to the label's stable.

The 2 Tone Records sleeves were boss.

Yeah, they did! One of the few labels that I actively collect regardless of what's on the record just because of the overall aesthetic. That's totally a goal for N&B.

I will never give up. Until I OD. Thanks for asking.

He OD'd, it would appear.

Back to the topic- 7"'s are great but I rarely listen to mine. I say put bonus tracks on the LP versions instead of releasing them as 7"'s.

I'm just the opposite, I'm too much of an album guy to want bonus tracks. Just gimme the album the way it's supposed to be, and I'll listen to that. If there are more songs you want to release, give them a separate release.

He OD'd, it would appear.

Back to the topic- 7"'s are great but I rarely listen to mine. I say put bonus tracks on the LP versions instead of releasing them as 7"'s.

I'm just the opposite, I'm too much of an album guy to want bonus tracks. Just gimme the album the way it's supposed to be, and I'll listen to that. If there are more songs you want to release, give them a separate release.

Stevie Wonder did this way back in the 70's with Songs in the key of life. They couldn't fit all the songs onto a 2xLP so they had to include a bonus 7" with four songs on it.

Even though the majority of my collection is 12" singles/ep's, and I am used to frequently changing them, I hardly play the 7"s i own. I don't buy many due to the cost like others mentioned and some are just b-sides so they don't get much play. But when I was a kid I played "Puttin on the Ritz" and "One Night In Bangkok" into the ground. Still have em too.