Let's talk wedding planning.

got married in san fran (so a destination wedding). just me and my ex's immediately family, so i think we had like 16 people there. she had her dress made, so that was cheaper. we got married in golden gate park on a monday so the permit fee was cheaper too than it would be on a weekend. we just rented a room at a really nice restaurant that we loved for the reception. i think her parents paid for it. mine certainly didn't, as they barely had enough to get to sf in the first place.

my divorce will be final in january. if me and my current gf ever decide to get married, i'm asking her if we can just do it at city hall. and then have a bangin' dinner and spend all our money on that and a honeymoon.

edit: and Scott, don't worry about her dress. let her worry about that.

my husband and i had an extremely small and cheap wedding, so i can't offer too much advice.

although, if your fiancee or anyone you know is crafty, you can cut down the costs for several things, like centerpieces, flowers, all that jazz. for example, i know someone that made her bouquet out of sheet music for the song that her and her husband walked down the isle to.

this. when my friend cathy and mike got married, they somehow managed to get everything for under 2k. she's crafty so their invites were handmade. they were really nice too. they were silkscreened, embossed and such by hand and were done for under $100, the food was catered by a chef friend of theirs for free as a wedding gift (food included), and the hall was free as well since they were members of a organization that had a hall. they had a few friends bands play and had haybale(red volkert(merle haggard)/kevin smith(brian setzer)/earl poole ball(johnny cash)/etc) end the night. maybe not a traditional wedding, but it was fun as hell and it was free booze all night. there were 125 people and everyone had a great time. probably the best wedding i've been too. all their friends helped out by pitching in for the actual wedding so stuff was cheap as fuck and a lot of food was available so we were able to get 2nd servings. i like being able to get 2 or 3 servings of pie or creme brule damnit!.

Whenever I trick someone into marrying me, I hope she's not religious because I don't want to get married in a church. I want it in the middle of the reception hall, and then we just rock out and get super drunk right there with a fun party.

so in jamaica, where we got married, they are a fairly regilious nation, and when we were talking to the wedding planner, she said "so you guys are okay with a standard religious ceremony?" to which we replied "no, we actually want no mention of god in any part of our ceremony, please". they were totally cool with it, but when we got the bill for everything (we didnt order, holy upselling... we got literally the most basic setup, towhich she was pissed because im sure she gets a cut of whatever she sells us to upgrade to... so unnecessary for us), at the very end in the comments it said "NO MENTION OF GOD, WHATSOEVER" in giant bold capital letters. I saved it, it sits with our extra jamaican marriage license in our safe.

and our reception (with our sister-in-law/her husband) was on cinco di mayo, we had a giant chupacabra papermache as the card holder/box, and we had it catered by Big Burrito (mad mex ftw) and had Rita's Ice served with liqour to pour in. seriously, best idea ever. no one touched the kegs of beer...

I should add, Natalie's mother is an art teacher, and her sister (who we did the reception with) is an artist, so they made literally everything for the reception. they fired salsa bowls and vases for the tables, they hand made these paper flowers that were hanging across the walls, it was pretty awesome. All i had to do was write a check and show up :)

I'm also panicking a little bit because my fiancee's mom and grandma are sewing her dress for her, and I am TERRIFIED that she won't like it, or they won't finish it in time, or it'll just look lumpy or something. The weird thing is, she doesn't seem to be worried that much about this, just me.

all I can say is that if your fiance/wife-to-be is happy with the dress, or with the process of her family making it, try not to stress about it, its something you really dont have much input on, and if its what she wants, just go with the flow!!

• 2 weeks later...

Our wedding colors are "jewel tone"—which is a fancy way of saying "rainbow"—and it's also very music-themed, so we decided we wanted to use melted down records as bowls for centerpieces. But since it's a multi-color wedding, we couldn't just do black vinyl! Cue the good people at Gotta Groove Records, who gave me a big box of scrap colored vinyl to manipulate as I saw fit.

Before:

427329_677567946572_1172647334_n.jpg

After:

221913_677581718972_672056599_n.jpg

(That whole back row is The Egg by Shiner, btw—it pained me to melt those!)

congrats on the wedding... As of last week i started doing the planning for our winter 2013 wedding. just after a few days of pricing, calling.... im ready to do a destination wedding package or just rock vegas and have a party when we get back.

a friend of mine just booked a cruise wedding where they will get married on a private tropical island, and the packages are super cheap ($2-3k for it all). i think if you have like 8-10 guests pay/come on the the cruise for the wedding, then your cruise tickets are comped (not a huge deal cause the cruise itself was only like $200).

I'm a shade under two months from my wedding (to the greatest woman in the world, I'd crawl through broken glass to be with her, yadda yadda yadda) and I'm starting to panic at the sheer cost of everything. I thought for sure we could do a wedding for under $10k, but our catering and rental costs ALONE are, like, $12k. Part of the reason for that is 1)we're expecting between 175-200 people and 2)the space we're having the wedding in (an art gallery in downtown Cleveland) has no tables/chairs/etc. so we have to rent EVERYTHING.

I'm also panicking a little bit because my fiancee's mom and grandma are sewing her dress for her, and I am TERRIFIED that she won't like it, or they won't finish it in time, or it'll just look lumpy or something. The weird thing is, she doesn't seem to be worried that much about this, just me.

Compounding issues is her family's inability to pay for much (if any) of the wedding costs. Meaning this is falling squarely on our shoulders. Not stoked on that whatsoever.

On the plus side, the wedding band is booked, rings have been picked out, the officiant is (almost) confirmed and the airfare and lodging for the honeymoon have been purchased/reserved, respectively. So I feel like even if everything else falls apart or not live up to our expectations, at least we will be able to get legally married and go to Mexico for a week.

STRESS STRESS STRESS

I think we have/had the same situation. My wedding is in like 15 days. I tried to keep it small to cut costs and budgeted around 10K, but it ended up being like 15k.

The wedding venue and caterer will nickel and dime you for everything. They will charge "labor" for the most miniscule things like moving chairs 10 feet.

Also, most of the budget has fallen on our shoulders as well. The family didn't help much except for a few things here and there.

congrats on the wedding... As of last week i started doing the planning for our winter 2013 wedding. just after a few days of pricing, calling.... im ready to do a destination wedding package or just rock vegas and have a party when we get back.

a friend of mine just booked a cruise wedding where they will get married on a private tropical island, and the packages are super cheap ($2-3k for it all). i think if you have like 8-10 guests pay/come on the the cruise for the wedding, then your cruise tickets are comped (not a huge deal cause the cruise itself was only like $200).

DO IT!!! all inclusive destination weddings are the way to go!!!

Our wedding colors are "jewel tone"—which is a fancy way of saying "rainbow"—and it's also very music-themed, so we decided we wanted to use melted down records as bowls for centerpieces. But since it's a multi-color wedding, we couldn't just do black vinyl! Cue the good people at Gotta Groove Records, who gave me a big box of scrap colored vinyl to manipulate as I saw fit.

Before:

427329_677567946572_1172647334_n.jpg

After:

221913_677581718972_672056599_n.jpg

(That whole back row is The Egg by Shiner, btw—it pained me to melt those!)

these turned out awesome. what are you planning on putting in them?

these turned out awesome. what are you planning on putting in them?

Yeah, melting records into bowls is actually super fucking easy to do! We figured it would take a lot of individual effort, but nope, just a few hours of our time.

We're putting flowers in them inside these small square glass vases she found. Should be pretty neat. I just hope people take them home with them afterward, because lord knows I don't need a melted down Hawthorne Heights record.

I've been married for 2 years now. My wife is wicked awesome and we had VERY little stress when we got married. We agreed on the ceremony music, the flowers, the centre pieces (which consisted of vinyl records) and the invitations (which looked like vinyl records).

I think we ended up with a total bill, including rings (over $3k), my suit, her dress, rentals, food, booze (open bar + wine), dj, etc... of around $15k. We did most of it DIY which saved us a ton of cash. Out prents were awesome too. Both her and my parents kicked in $5k, and the rest of the $$$ was covered by our Buck and Doe. The buck and doe (jack and jill, whatever) ended up being more work than the actual wedding, but we made about $5700 after all of the costs were paid for.

I've been married for 2 years now. My wife is wicked awesome and we had VERY little stress when we got married. We agreed on the ceremony music, the flowers, the centre pieces (which consisted of vinyl records) and the invitations (which looked like vinyl records).

I think we ended up with a total bill, including rings (over $3k), my suit, her dress, rentals, food, booze (open bar + wine), dj, etc... of around $15k. We did most of it DIY which saved us a ton of cash. Out prents were awesome too. Both her and my parents kicked in $5k, and the rest of the $$$ was covered by our Buck and Doe. The buck and doe (jack and jill, whatever) ended up being more work than the actual wedding, but we made about $5700 after all of the costs were paid for.

...the fuck is a Buck and Doe? Silly Canadians...

It's basically a party you through a few months before the wedding. You sell tickets, have a cash bar, have games, door prizes, draws, etc to raise $$$ for the wedding.

my friends in Erie did these, but they called them stag and drags! I couldnt make it, but they got a ton of cash for their wedding from it!