$150 Audiophile Turntable: This could be interesting

Sorry guys, but I have to come to this guys defense. Maybe he shouldn't have said anything about it if he didn't want to talk about it, some people need to learn to keep their mouths shut on the Internet. I had to, everyone does, but let him get his shipping conformation and then he'll talk about the price.

I don't think his concern is invalid, and I don't really understand why you are piling on him.

Thats a big long block of text saying I'm smarter than you and I'm not gonna help out a board I've benefited from. Moral of the story is you aren't helping out the board because you're being selfish. you can spin it anyway you want but thats what it is.

So people are actually trying to piss me off into giving them the information? I never said I was smarter than anyone but I certainly dont think thats an intelligent approach for someone who is going to do this board a favor...

Sorry guys, but I have to come to this guys defense. Maybe he shouldn't have said anything about it if he didn't want to talk about it, some people need to learn to keep their mouths shut on the Internet. I had to, everyone does, but let him get his shipping conformation and then he'll talk about the price.

I don't think his concern is invalid, and I don't really understand why you are piling on him.

Thanks man. The only reason I opened my mouth in the first place is so that if someone was currently looking to buy one of these TTs (or a U-Turn) at $399,to maybe look to hold off for a little bit until I see if my workaround actually works. Once I can prove whether it does or doesnt, Ill open the flood gates. Until I get a shipping confirmation, I cant even know if this is even gonna work and would be giving out bunk information to people relying on this to go through. Then I get criticized for that as well. I kind of regret even bringing it up at this point.

So people are actually trying to piss me off into giving them the information? I never said I was smarter than anyone but I certainly dont think thats an intelligent approach for someone who is going to do this board a favor...

Not trying to piss you off, you're not helping people here out that want to get the same good deal you got, yet you post expecting people to help you out. It's a community, and you're helping to propagate its bad reputation.

Im not lording anything over anyone. If it doesnt work for me, its not gonna work for anyone regardless. If the deal was only good until tomorrow or something, I would have told u all about it yesterday. Time isnt of the essence right now especially since the U-Turn kickstarter doesnt even begin until Dec. 4th anyways.

Not trying to piss you off, you're not helping people here out that want to get the same good deal you got, yet you post expecting people to help you out. It's a community, and you're helping to propagate its bad reputation.

I will be helping people out on here. How do u not get that? I wont be helping anyone anyways if my order gets cancelled.

Im not lording anything over anyone. If it doesnt work for me, its not gonna work for anyone regardless. If the deal was only good until tomorrow or something, I would have told u all about it yesterday. Time isnt of the essence right now especially since the U-Turn kickstarter doesnt even begin until Dec. 4th anyways.

One you did lord it over by coming here and posting about this great deal you got that you wont tell anyone about, and two doesn't matter how long the deal is, the point is your not helping people you expect to help you. Selfish plain and simple.

One you did lord it over by coming here and posting about this great deal you got that you wont tell anyone about, and two doesn't matter how long the deal is, the point is your not helping people you expect to help you. Selfish plain and simple.

Impatient you are. I will be helping people out.

HE'S GONNA TELL US AFTER IT SHIPS!!!!

Then it will get posted on that site that posts everything from here. Maybe he should just PM people that want to know.

I can do that as well. Good idea, Lets do that. Id like to keep this ONLY to people who are serious about purchasing. Please keep in mind though that if you post this information on this public page or on another message board, your odds become drastically lowered that you will actually receive this deal. Ill start taking PM requests and sending out instructions as soon as my shipping confirmation has been received. Thanks.

I don't see the big deal about waiting. I'd like to buy one and if I did I don't know if I'd want to post about where i found it until I know I could secure one.

How do you think people would have reacted if Scott posted that thread but said I'm not giving out the code until my order has shipped. This is a community and we help each other out, thats the big deal.

Alright ... thread reset. This shit is getting tedious. Back to talking about U-Turn Audio.

timbrh2001 - just post about the deal when your order is confirmed. Or not. Whatever.

Everyone else - get over it. Seriously, life is too short. Homeboy said he'll post the deal soon and you'll still have time to take advantage ... if it even works at all. If not, he'll let you know about that as well.

How do you think people would have reacted if Scott posted that thread but said I'm not giving out the code until my order has shipped. This is a community and we help each other out, thats the big deal.

Why do you still think Im not willing to help people out? Nobody else has gotten any advanced information here so as far as I know nobody else has been able to take advantage of this potential deal.

I'm not sure how this is an argument.

-It's Christmas time.

-There is always too much publicity from other websites due to people who lurk these boards.

-That Beatles box set sold out from Hot Topic shortly after that code was posted

-It's a Carbon with over $100 off retail.

I completely understand his concerns. PM him or be patient. Now everyone drop it and get back to the original discussion.

I suppose that if your new tonearm had the exact same geometry, you could do it. More than likely though, you'd have to do some serious surgery on the turntable, including rewiring and drilling / modifying a hole in the plinth ... and you'd need an arm board or mounting plate too. Definitely not a job for a novice.

The better question is why would you want to spend the money upgrading a turntable that's designed to be an entry-level starter deck?

Again, we still don't know much about the Orbit, but even if it ends up being a (relatively) nice-sounding turntable, there's no way that U-Turn Audio is using high-quality materials at a price point of $150. Even if you upgrade the tonearm with - let's say a used Rega RB251 - and then you get the acrylic platter and a nicer cartridge, you're talking about spending $500 - $600. That's not including the cost of paying someone to work on the tonearm switch-a-roo. For that type of money, you might as well buy something nicer to begin with and that will also allow any future upgrades to make a bigger difference sonically.

I think that it's realistic to hope that the Orbit sounds good for a $150 table, and that the minor upgrades that the company is offering gives people a taste of what's possible. I mentioned it before, but this thing is going to have a ceiling, and no amount of tweaks is going to change that.

Who knows - maybe U-Turn Audio will begin developing a mid-level entry that will compete with the likes of the Rega RP3. Or maybe they'll be out of business in a year.