$150 Audiophile Turntable: This could be interesting

Okay so i got shipping confirmation today (finally..) however about a month ago i asked if they could change the color from black to blue and they said they did but it says black. And i upgraded the cart a few weeks ago (which is already paid for) and they gave me the wrong one.... This is not my week.

I wouldn't worry. I also upgraded the cartridge after placing my order, yet the shipping confirmation, as well as the receipt in the box had the old cartridge listed even though my table came with the upgraded cartridge.

I wouldn't worry. I also upgraded the cartridge after placing my order, yet the shipping confirmation, as well as the receipt in the box had the old cartridge listed even though my table came with the upgraded cartridge.

well hopefully that is the case. Im not gonna say anything unless i get it and its still not right. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt here

What he said... I made changes that were not reflected in my shipping info yet my table was correct.

On a side note... This is a major upgrade in a system. Orbit w/ Grado Black and retro 70's receiver and it is a whole different experience from my Crosley to Audio-Technica to this. I love this table (altho it does really exploit some crappy pressings like my Get Up Kids four Minute Mile).

What he said... I made changes that were not reflected in my shipping info yet my table was correct.

On a side note... This is a major upgrade in a system. Orbit w/ Grado Black and retro 70's receiver and it is a whole different experience from my Crosley to Audio-Technica to this. I love this table (altho it does really exploit some crappy pressings like my Get Up Kids four Minute Mile).

Yeah, I'm upgrading from an Audio Technica. Using vintage speakers and receiver. Pretty stoked.

just got mine today and it is infact blue which is nice. also when i asked if i could upgrade my cart to the grado black (from the cheapest cart) using the discount code, they only charged me 10 dollars instead of the fourty. i thought that they just gave me the audio technica one that was a step up because that would have been 10 dollars but i guess they just made a mistake and i got it for a discount which was really nice.

I ordered my u-turn back around the first week of april. I received about 2 weeks ago. So far I am impressed though I have not another turntable before so I have nothing to compare it to. I ordered the blue with the slightly upgraded cart. Also bought the cork mat but have the standard platter. No issues with the band slipping or anything. I have paired it up with a few different pieces of gear so far and the best combo has been u-turn-bugle2-pioneer VSX-1018ah with onix x-ls speakers. I think the speakers need to go, but went fro ma belarri VP129 pre to the bugle (better), then tried an icon amp, onkyo 787 receiver, old, real old pioneer receiver (from the 80s) then finally the 1018ah. I already owned all the equipment so its just been a matter of experimenting. 

The part that sucks, is now there are a `million records I want!! I just ordered 5 today (pay day). 

Think this is a good road into vinyl. Can always upgrade from here.

Still nothing on your front? I ordered white so this is kinda making me re-think that. Haha.

Yeah, still nothing. D: I think I'm gonna email them. Maybe change the color and/or see if I can upgrade the cart with my $15. Unless they say it's shipping really soon.

Edit: I just shot them an email. In other news, I can't wait to get this in. I'm listening to my Dear Hunter first presses and they sound so drowned out at loud parts.

Also, since my speakers and receiver are both kinda shit right now, I have a question.

I know I can go look at the main thread but it doesn't quite answer my questions the way I need.

So, since I'm going to hhe to upgrade both the speakers and receiver at some point anyways, I thought of a few things.

1. Would it be better to upgrade the speakers or receiver first? I can't find a lot of info about either of my current ones online, but I think my speakers are pretty good, but again, I can't be sure.

2. If I upgrade both, I'm not spending more than $100 on speakers and $150-ish on a receiver. Would I do better to buy the pre-amp on U-Turn's website and pool my money on a better pair of powered speakers?

It's gonna be a while before I do any of these things with me moving out and all, but I thought I'd pose the question.

Also, since my speakers and receiver are both kinda shit right now, I have a question.

I know I can go look at the main thread but it doesn't quite answer my questions the way I need.

So, since I'm going to hhe to upgrade both the speakers and receiver at some point anyways, I thought of a few things.

1. Would it be better to upgrade the speakers or receiver first? I can't find a lot of info about either of my current ones online, but I think my speakers are pretty good, but again, I can't be sure.

2. If I upgrade both, I'm not spending more than $100 on speakers and $150-ish on a receiver. Would I do better to buy the pre-amp on U-Turn's website and pool my money on a better pair of powered speakers?

It's gonna be a while before I do any of these things with me moving out and all, but I thought I'd pose the question.

Your receiver is probably fine.

I'd put your money into speakers for now.

Table + Speakers are the most important bit.

Yeah, still nothing. D: I think I'm gonna email them. Maybe change the color and/or see if I can upgrade the cart with my $15. Unless they say it's shipping really soon.

Edit: I just shot them an email. In other news, I can't wait to get this in. I'm listening to my Dear Hunter first presses and they sound so drowned out at loud parts.

That's pretty lame dude, I'm sorry. Let me know how it goes, I might end up switching to black... Though I really love the way the white looks with the acrylic platter.

I'm just incredibly excited to really finally get a decent taste of what my records have to offer. Think the first thing I'll be spinning is that Cosmic Drama you sold me. :)

Just saw my local record store post that they have a Technics SL-1200 MKII for $400... Debating getting a refund on my order and using it towards that. By the time I add all my upgrades (Acrylic Platter, Grado Blue, Q-UP) it's gonna be roughly the same cost.

Someone talk me out of it?

Try and get them down from the $400 and check the condition, it might be a good deal. Im in the market for one of those myself.

I don't know that they're willing to barter, but I'll try my best. It's definitely in good condition, anything they sell is cleaned up, usually gets a new stylus, etc.

If your ganna spend the same amount of mney on the u turn I would say just go for the technics. Thats just my opinion though. 

Depends what you want out of your turntable. I do alot of sampling so I like being able to adjust pitch and like the ease of direct drive.

Just saw my local record store post that they have a Technics SL-1200 MKII for $400... Debating getting a refund on my order and using it towards that. By the time I add all my upgrades (Acrylic Platter, Grado Blue, Q-UP) it's gonna be roughly the same cost.

Someone talk me out of it?

These are new, and made by a small group of awesome people. (:

I'm using it just for listening really. I might just pass on the technics, too much headache to cancel my order.

Personally, I'd go for the Technics all day. Those things are built like tanks. The Orbit is made of mostly plastic, and don't even have a cue lever. 

Don't get me wrong, the Orbit is a great Crosley alternative. But once the price gets up to around $400, you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you don't consider the alternatives at that price range.