$150 Audiophile Turntable: This could be interesting

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I'm thinking about ordering this turntable. I went to order one from the website and saw the custom options you can get, and I was slightly overwhelmed. Are there any upgrades/options I should definitely get (ones that stood out to me were the Q-up, acrylic platter, and/or even a better cartridge.) Now when I started to add these options, it really started to add up price wise. I'm just wondering what options would really be worth it as this will be a beginners table, as I can upgrade the less necessary options later or even get a better table/setup down the road. Any advice at all would be appreciated!  

Dabeeps, the orbit plus will just be an acrylic platter and grado black cartridge over the standard. Cartridge and platter will add to sound characteristics if you want to spend the money now, but the q up is just to take the needle off when your record is finished, so you don't have to get up and do it yourself. You kinda have to decide if that's worth $60 to you. And something you can order almost anywhere for that same price. Where as upgrading the acrylic platter later will cost you a little more than doing it now. Either way I'd suggest at least getting the grado black cartridge now.

My roommate swears that my Orbit has recently started going a little flat/slowing down on the inner grooves of most records. I can't hear it, but she has a much better ear than I do.

Contact them if you haven't yet. Might need to clear out the spindle, or get the upgraded belt they're sending out. They have awesome customer service.

So I'm thinking about ordering this turntable. I went to order one from the website and saw the custom options you can get, and I was slightly overwhelmed. Are there any upgrades/options I should definitely get (ones that stood out to me were the Q-up, acrylic platter, and/or even a better cartridge.) Now when I started to add these options, it really started to add up price wise. I'm just wondering what options would really be worth it as this will be a beginners table, as I can upgrade the less necessary options later or even get a better table/setup down the road. Any advice at all would be appreciated!  

Dabeeps, the orbit plus will just be an acrylic platter and grado black cartridge over the standard. Cartridge and platter will add to sound characteristics if you want to spend the money now, but the q up is just to take the needle off when your record is finished, so you don't have to get up and do it yourself. You kinda have to decide if that's worth $60 to you. And something you can order almost anywhere for that same price. Where as upgrading the acrylic platter later will cost you a little more than doing it now. Either way I'd suggest at least getting the grado black cartridge now.

Completely agree with all of this, dabeeps. The Q-up is not worth it, in my opinion. Though if it is something you desire, you can always add it later for the exact same price, as xxsilence mentioned.

Upgrading the platter and/or cartridge through U-Turn will definitely save you a few dollars as opposed to adding them on later ($90 vs $75 for the platter, and $70 vs $45 for the Grado Black, for example). And again, both of these will have an effect on the performance of the table, as opposed to the Q-Up, which is strictly a convienence feature.  I personally ordered my Orbit with a Grado Black and have no regrets so far.

Completely agree with all of this, dabeeps. The Q-up is not worth it, in my opinion. Though if it is something you desire, you can always add it later for the exact same price, as xxsilence mentioned.

Upgrading the platter and/or cartridge through U-Turn will definitely save you a few dollars as opposed to adding them on later ($90 vs $75 for the platter, and $70 vs $45 for the Grado Black, for example). And again, both of these will have an effect on the performance of the table, as opposed to the Q-Up, which is strictly a convienence feature.  I personally ordered my Orbit with a Grado Black and have no regrets so far.

That is true. I'd be saving about $50 if I ordered the Orbit Plus, rather than by those two parts separately at some point. And here's to thinking this would be somewhat cheap. But, after reading some reviews , I'm going to have to go with it.

That is true. I'd be saving about $50 if I ordered the Orbit Plus, rather than by those two parts separately at some point. And here's to thinking this would be somewhat cheap. But, after reading some reviews , I'm going to have to go with it.

Many people have had that same line of thought, myself included. The $179 price tag really jumps out at you, but once you start looking at the possible upgrades, it can quickly shoot up. 

Ultimately, the price that I paid for my table was well worth it, and much better than anything I could have gotten for that price. But even the Orbit Plus, which comes out to $320 shipped, gets many people thinking twice, especially since that puts you into Pro-Ject Debut, or if you're lucky and have a discount code Debut Carbon, territory.

3 weeks. It says when you go to the store and click on one. It's towards the bottom right. It usually fluctuates between 3 and 4 weeks

Thank you. My girlfriend may be getting one around Christmas, and was curious when she should order. Mine took 3 months to get to me ordered Jan 1st. Glad to see they're running smoothly now!