ATTN: Missouri residents

your republican senator hard at work... do your part and help vote him out of office. this is literally INSANE.. your politician honestly thinks that the female body can reject a rape pregnancy. HOW DO THESE PEOPLE STAY IN OFFICE!! And what the fuck is a legitimate rape?! what is an illegitimate rape?!!?!

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-na-rape-candidate-20120820,0,2471862.story

By Robin Abcarian, Los Angeles Times

August 20, 2012

The Republican nominee for a U.S. Senateseat in Missouri on Sunday advanced the theory that the female reproductive system can shut down during what he described as a "legitimate rape," thus preventing conception in most cases.

Rep. Todd Akin, a tea party candidate who is challenging incumbent Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill in Missouri's closely watched race, was asked in a local television interview about whether he supported access to abortion in the case of rape.

"If abortion could be considered in the case of, say, a tubal pregnancy [which threatens the mother's life], what about in the case of rape?" asked KTVI-TV host Charles Jaco, in a clip disseminated by Talking Points Memo. "Should it be legal or not?"

"It seems to me, from what I understand from doctors, that's really rare," Akin said, referring to conception following a rape. "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But let's assume that maybe that didn't work or something. I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be of the rapist, and not attacking the child."

According to a 1996 study by the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, an estimated 32,101 pregnancies resulted from rape each year. The journal put the national rape-related pregnancy rate at 5% among victims ages 12 to 45.

In a comment later posted on Facebook, Akin did not explicitly retract his view that rape would rarely result in pregnancy.

"It's clear that I misspoke in this interview and it does not reflect the deep empathy I hold for the thousands of women who are raped and abused every year," he said. "I recognize that abortion, and particularly in the case of rape, is a very emotionally charged issue. But I believe deeply in the protection of all life and I do not believe that harming another innocent victim is the right course of action."

Later, he added a more explicit tweet: "To be clear, all of us understand that rape can result in pregnancy & I have great empathy for all victims. I regret misspeaking."

By Sunday night, Akin's Facebook page had more than 1,500 comments on the issue, most of them negative.

The initial comment by Akin — who sits on the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology— led to instant condemnation from his opponent and women's advocates.

McCaskill tweeted: "As a woman & former prosecutor who handled 100s of rape cases, I'm stunned by Rep. Akin's comments about victims this AM."

Later, in an emailed statement, she said: "It is beyond comprehension that someone can be so ignorant about the emotional and physical trauma brought on by rape. The ideas that Todd Akin has expressed about the serious crime of rape and the impact on its victims are offensive."

A short time later, McCaskill's campaign manager, Adrianne Marsh, emailed a fundraising appeal to supporters with the subject line "Legitimate rape?"

Late Sunday, presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney weighed in.

"Gov. Romney and Congressman [Paul] Ryan disagree with Mr. Akin's statement, and a Romney-Ryan administration would not oppose abortion in instances of rape," said Romney spokeswoman Andrea Saul.

Women's rights advocates were infuriated by Akin's wrongheaded biology lesson and the implication that some rapes were not "legitimate."

"Obviously, women have become pregnant from rape," said Gloria Allred, the veteran women's rights lawyer. "Sometimes it's child rape, sometimes it's stranger rape, sometimes it's acquaintance rape, but whatever you call it, it is rape. For him to put misconceptions into the marketplace of ideas, this is dangerous."

When Allred was in her early 20s, she has said, she was raped at gunpoint in Mexico and became pregnant. "I had to have an abortion that was illegal for the doctor to give, but not illegal for me to receive," she said Sunday.

"What he's saying is dangerous and needs a clear response. We shouldn't discount it and just say he's trying to appeal to a political base. There is a strong constituency in Missouri and elsewhere which wants to chip away at a woman's right to choose abortion. This is the extreme of the extreme."

In a reverse-psychology move to influence the outcome of the three-way Republican primary so that she would face the candidate she perceived as the weakest, McCaskill's campaign spent about $2 million on ads that described Akin as "too conservative."

It's unclear whether that strategy has been effective. Before his rape comments, Akin had been leading McCaskill by several percentage points in recent polls.

He is a candidate for Senate. He is currently an elected Representative to the US House. Just thought I'd clear that up. What isn't at all an error is his perpetuation of the myth of "real rape" vs who the hell knows what else. I have $10 that this clown drops out of the race with the pressure he's getting.

"If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But let's assume that maybe that didn't work or something. I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be of the rapist, and not attacking the child."

That comment has so much stupid in it I am in awe. I wish the interviewer pressed him to elaborate on his position. What is his definition of legitimate rape? If, as he states, the womans body is able to magically reject the pregnancy then should the rapist be "off the hook"? Is punishment, in his mind, only needed if the female body fails to reject forced semen?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/20/obama-todd-akin-rape_n_1812140.html

At a press conference today, President Barack Obama was asked about the controversy surrounding a remark by Rep. Todd Akin (R-Mo.) that women who suffer "legitimate rape" rarely get pregnant.

"The views expressed were offensive," said Obama. "Rape is rape. And the idea that we should be parsing and qualifying and slicing what types of rape we are talking about doesn't make sense to the American people and certainly doesn't make sense to me. So what I think these comments do underscore is why we shouldn't have a bunch of politicians, a majority of whom are men, making health care decisions on behalf of women."

The comments are the most high profile in a series of rebukes from both Democrats and Republicans. Earlier in the day, presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney also condemned Akin, who is running to unseat Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.).

Obama did not call on Akin to leave the race, as some Republicans have done. "He was nominated by the Republicans in Missouri," he said, "I will let them sort that out." He did, however, use the opportunity to contrast his approach toward women's health care with that of the GOP.

"Although these particular comments have led Governor Romney and other Republicans to distance themselves, I think the underlying notion that we should be making decisions on behalf of women for their health care decisions, or qualifying forcible rape versus non-forcible rape, I think those are broader issues," Obama said. "And that is a significant difference in approach between me and the other party."

I love what Obama just said.

Another politician living on another planet. What a shock. Wonder how he'll feel if someone in his family ever got raped.

Also I hate that when Republicans are mentioned in the media it has to be noted if they have "tea party" approval. Such bullshit. It almost legitimizes them as a political party when they aren't (they're a fucking "movement".) We have a Working Families party in New York State (a LEGITIMATE political party) and media here rarely if ever mentions that even though the party is growing and they mostly rubber stamp Democrats.

"The views expressed were offensive," said Obama. "Rape is rape. And the idea that we should be parsing and qualifying and slicing what types of rape we are talking about doesn't make sense to the American people and certainly doesn't make sense to me. So what I think these comments do underscore is why we shouldn't have a bunch of politicians, a majority of whom are men, making health care decisions on behalf of women."

chaaaaange1.jpg

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!

I bet he doesnt even understand what he did wrong and he's just being told by his PR person to "apologize". too little, too late. apparently some of his financial backers are now telling him either he drops out of the race, or they'll withdraw millions of dollars in support. thats awesome, even for conservatives.

I heard a little interview on NPR yesterday that went over the history of this claim, Akin isn't the first one to make it. In fact Huckabee appointed Fay Boozman as the Director of the Arkansas Health Department and he also believed this, as did a few other notable politicians. I guess it is a semi-valid argument amongst some right-wing fundamentals since it provided a convenient loop-hole on the abortion issue.

This isn't what I saw but same subject matter: http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/08/akin-not-the-first-a-short-history-of-the-false-no-pregnancy-from-rape-theory.php

I bet he doesnt even understand what he did wrong and he's just being told by his PR person to "apologize". too little, too late. apparently some of his financial backers are now telling him either he drops out of the race, or they'll withdraw millions of dollars in support. thats awesome, even for conservatives.

Honestly I want him to stay in the race for a few reasons. One is that if he stays in he will get beat badly and thats another seat in the Senate for the dems, second he is cosponsoring a bill with Paul Ryan against abortion, and this will make it so much harder to get passed, as well as hurting the Romney/Ryan campaign because they are associated with this lunatic. I honestly believe that the republicans are pressuring him to drop out, not because they do not agree with him, but because if he does they can substitute a candidate. All that aside, knowing someone that has been raped, and having someone believe this shit makes me unspeakably angry. And its our generation thats fucking things up...

Edit: and that 'apology' he issued was the biggest load of bullshit I have ever read.

You are correct. Republicans are pressuring him to drop out because they see his seat as vulnerable, not because they are refuting his comments.

Republicans are drafting the official party platform in Tampa right now, ahead of their convention, and it still contains a constitutional ban on abortion with no exceptions.

Guess who sponsored the the original HR 3 bill with the language "forcible rape" as opposed to just "rape" alongside Akin and King? Clue: he is presently running for Vice President.

"H.R. 3, the bill co-sponsored by King, Akin and Paul Ryan in 2011, originally called for an exemption in the federal ban on abortion funding only in the case of “forcible rape.” That language was dropped after pressure from women’s advocates and Democrats. At the time, the Republican sponsors of the legislation weren’t too interested in discussing their reasoning for the wording."

I need to stop reading this thread... it's pissing me off too bad. I just don't understand the Teabaggers...erm, I mean the Tea Party...

Alot of their arguments make absolutely no sense to me. They want to ban all forms of birth control and abortion, but if this were to happen, the rate of unplanned pregnancies would go up. And probably alot of these women would need government assistance to take care of these kids. Oh, and not to mention that the Republicans don't want to help these children with their healthcare costs either... anyways... Now, what would be more expensive for the taxpayers? Having these children living with government assistance or just making birth control more accessable? Which would help the budget more? If I were to guess, I would say making birth control more available would be cheaper.

All this leads me to one conclusion: The republicans don't care about cutting the budget, they only care about enforcing their right-wing sociopolitical agendas.

The Republican Party is essentially becoming the Anti-Science Party. I'm not sure if I should be more disgusted by the repeated denials regarding Rape, climate-change, or evolution. Many of you might not recall that during the first debate when there where 10-candiates the moderator asked for a show of hands as to how many subscribe to creationism as the proper theory on scientific development. Three people raised their hands. Understand, 30% of the people on that stage believe the Earth is 10,000 years old and that a Religious based theory on the Earth deserves to be taught over Evolution or Darwinism. Mind you, each of these candidates had to have some level of financial and popular support to be there. At one time on of those three, Rick Perry, was the freaking front runner for the nomination.

So, you ask how this party can continue to produce morons like Todd Akin? It's because this is a party that to win office has leaned on the ignorance of the most radically conservative, science-denying members of their ranks. There are whole states of this country where the stranglehold these people have over the education system guarantees that the divide amongst once rational thinking individuals will persist for generations.