Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar 2xLP red vinyl exclusive to Hot Topic

travis

I got my order in the mail today. The package looked fine but, when I took it out of it's sleeve, the first record was warped significantly.

I called Hot Topic and they are sending a replacement, no questions asked. I hope it's just an isolated incident and that the rest of the albums don't suffer from the same issue.

Are they paying for the shipping to send back the warped one or do you have to pay for it yourself?

got my copy today.  they usually ship in a bigger mailer and put the records in a thick bubble wrap envelope inside.  this time it was a regular mailer and had it together with the shai hulud record and some cardboard inserts.  jacket looks good and no warps.

I ordered mine with a shirt so i was a bit worried when i saw the size of the box and felt everything shifting around inside, but that thick bubble wrap sleeve was great.  Every corner was perfect, I forgot that HT used those things.

I'm glad I have this. I think the packaging is excellent, and the opaque red vinyl is a favorite of mine.

tl;dr but, did these have a CD master? I'm not too impressed by the sound... it's flat sounding to me. The surface noise is very low and I am pleased overall, but I put on Born Villain after spinning this today and the sound just kills this. I'll admit I hadn't heard this record in years prior to today, so maybe it's just the sound of the recording itself.... Any opinions?

I'm glad I have this. I think the packaging is excellent, and the opaque red vinyl is a favorite of mine.

tl;dr but, did these have a CD master? I'm not too impressed by the sound... it's flat sounding to me. The surface noise is very low and I am pleased overall, but I put on Born Villain after spinning this today and the sound just kills this. I'll admit I hadn't heard this record in years prior to today, so maybe it's just the sound of the recording itself.... Any opinions?

It is my understanding that this record was intentionally recorded/mixed to sound thin. I forgot where but i read an interview with Trent Reznor about the sound being Paper Thin and Fucking Brutal, or something to that effect. 

Weird, I felt like mine sounded pretty awesome and was fairly impressed, granted I havent listened to this album in like ten years so I may be off a bit, and my set up isnt the nicest. 

When I was playing this CD in heavy rotation, I was also listening to a lot of late Pantera and Master of Puppets. Due to this direct juxtaposition of records, I always noticed that Metallica and Pantera sounded so compressed and heavy and the palm muting on the guitars really kicked hard through my stereo speakers but ACSS, though it had similarly heavy guitars/distortion, didn't really have the same sonic effect at the same volume levels. I'm pretty sure I've looked at the waveform for the CD tracks on this record and it looks like it was spared from the loudness war. I used to hate that it didn't have the same kick that MOP had but now that I'm aware of the practices of clipping the hell out of a master, I'm kind of glad it isn't like that. Go back and listen to the CD and I think you'll find that the original master isn't as pushed as records are today. Also keep in mind that this album was made 17 years ago.

I dunno about the sound quality you are reporting.  I played mine and I was just blown away.  The sound was absolutely fantastic...here is my original post about the sound:

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/80997-marilyn-manson-antichrist-superstar-2xlp-red-vinyl-exclusive-to-hot-topic/?p=1435377

With vinyl, we all can experience the same recording differently.  There are too many variables so it get's difficult to pin things down.  

Vinyl sounds great, but the vinyl is a bit thin, 110g i believe which is fine. 

Ah yes, that is very true.  Just going back to the different variables I mentioned in my last post, the 110g vinyl would actually change the VTA of your cartridge and will really change how things sound.  The usual 180g vinyl will sound different due to it's thickness; this can largely affect what one hears.

Personally, I had to change my VTA slightly for this record.  Luckily my tonearm allows for repeatable accurate VTA changes.  But I did have to change it is my point.  If I didn't have this feature, I would probably set the VTA in the middle of what sounds best with 180g vinyl and thinner 110g stuff.  Or if my vinyl is MOSTLY 180g, then optimize the setup for that.  Anyhow, this is where it starts getting annoying for me as I'd rather listen to music than dial in settings for every record.

I am listening to mine, and I have to admit, I thought shaizada's review of being "blown away" was going to be a bit over the top, but I was wrong. While I'm not blown away to the same degree, I am impressed with the sound here. It's anything but flat. Very lively and deep with crazy separation Sometimes too much? the the high hat can end up way outside the sounstage) and sound space for music like this. There also is an organic quality to a lot of the guitar sounds and synths that must have driven shaizada to comment that it sounded very analog. 

Over all a very good release. Oh and mine came in very good shape. The super thin vinyl was surprising, but no big deal. Gotta find a way to press these for the cheap complainers.

I wouldn't say it's flat but after reading this I decided to spin Born Villain after I spun ACSS and I can definitely agree that Born Villain sounded much better.

I wouldn't say it's flat but after reading this I decided to spin Born Villain after I spun ACSS and I can definitely agree that Born Villain sounded much better.

thank you.

edit - to expand a bit more.... to me, it sounds like there is a blanket over my speakers when I'm listening to ACSS, but when I spin BV, the blanket is lifted off. I don't mess with VTA; I calibrated when I got my table a few months ago and have left it there. I have only felt this way about ACSS and the new Deftones... nothing else. Again, very pleased overall... but the sound is lacking something for me.

thank you.

edit - to expand a bit more.... to me, it sounds like there is a blanket over my speakers when I'm listening to ACSS, but when I spin BV, the blanket is lifted off. I don't mess with VTA; I calibrated when I got my table a few months ago and have left it there. I have only felt this way about ACSS and the new Deftones... nothing else. Again, very pleased overall... but the sound is lacking something for me.

After listening to this album again and focusing deeper on the sound quality I noticed that somtimes it does have a "blanket" noise, but it hasn't been a constant thing either. Well at least it sounds better then digital.

Hmmm... I hope that travis will repress Holy Wood because I'd really like to have it in my collection. I saw a picture the other day on ebay that at a quick glance made Holy Wood's vinyl look white which I thought looked very cool.