Ryan Adams - Love Is Hell (MoFi)

nyhi

Was Amazon holding some kind of sale on this?

I'm still confused why people still pre-order any vinyl on Amazon?  

I absolutely love Amazon and buy basically anything and everything off their site.

That said, I'd never pre-order a record from them due to their laundry list of mishaps.  I'd rather just pay a little bit extra and get the guarantee.

Was Amazon holding some kind of sale on this?

I'm still confused why people still pre-order any vinyl on Amazon?

I absolutely love Amazon and buy basically anything and everything off their site.

That said, I'd never pre-order a record from them due to their laundry list of mishaps. I'd rather just pay a little bit extra and get the guarantee.

Amazon is probably my favorite big retailer, by far. Best customer services, fast shipping, prime rules, great prices.

First off, I've loved H&O since I was a lil kid, and I'm proud to own pristine vinyl copies of Private Eyes, H2O, and Rock'n'Soul Part 1 (with original cover!). Man they still sound good. MD sucks for not letting you hang onto those CDs. 

Second, this is far-and-away the best-sounding RA record I own. Kudos to MoFi for taking all that extra (EXTRA) time and doing it right. I confess, after listening to my favorite, Part 1 (which I guess is now "Record 1"), I had to jump straight to the final 4 B-sides. Not sure if anyone else caught Ryan on his first solo tour (2000?), but "Gimme Sunshine" was a highlight of his sets back then. Shame he never released it 'til 2007 (and even then only as a weird Japanese bonus track). Amazing that it's now available on vinyl... and a quality pressing to boot.

So what's on the wishlist if/when MoFi decides to further explore the RA catalog? From a personal/completist standpoint, I'd vote for Faithless Street, which has never been issued on vinyl. From a "this needs to sound better" standpoint, Heartbreaker followed by Gold. 

First off, I've loved H&O since I was a lil kid, and I'm proud to own pristine vinyl copies of Private Eyes, H2O, and Rock'n'Soul Part 1 (with original cover!). Man they still sound good. MD sucks for not letting you hang onto those CDs. 

Second, this is far-and-away the best-sounding RA record I own. Kudos to MoFi for taking all that extra (EXTRA) time and doing it right. I confess, after listening to my favorite, Part 1 (which I guess is now "Record 1"), I had to jump straight to the final 4 B-sides. Not sure if anyone else caught Ryan on his first solo tour (2000?), but "Gimme Sunshine" was a highlight of his sets back then. Shame he never released it 'til 2007 (and even then only as a weird Japanese bonus track). Amazing that it's now available on vinyl... and a quality pressing to boot.

So what's on the wishlist if/when MoFi decides to further explore the RA catalog? From a personal/completist standpoint, I'd vote for Faithless Street, which has never been issued on vinyl. From a "this needs to sound better" standpoint, Heartbreaker followed by Gold. 

Honestly, they should just do them all and try to include bonus tracks on all of them.  Way too influential of an artist to be stuck with a catalog full of sub-par sounding vinyl.  You've got my vote for someone (anyone?) doing Faithless Street too, cannot believe nobody has ever bothered to put this out on vinyl.

In fairness (or lack thereof), Whiskeytown never had a single album of theirs pressed on vinyl while they were still a functioning band. The combination of high costs in the '90s and a tiny fanbase probably make it unfeasible for Bloodshot to issue FS... And of course, Lost Highway had NO idea what to do with Whiskeytown during their entire existence. (I have a burned copy of the "original" version of Pneumonia... Different running order, different mixes, and a couple great songs that somehow disappeared during the 3 years LH sat on it. Insane.)

PaxAm would probably do a great job, but considering that super-major-label UMG now owns all the master tapes (for WT and Ryan's LH stuff), I doubt that Ryan can pony up the dough to buy the rights back and do those albums proper.

PaxAm would probably do a great job, but considering that super-major-label UMG now owns all the master tapes (for WT and Ryan's LH stuff), I doubt that Ryan can pony up the dough to buy the rights back and do those albums proper.

I know Ryan bought back his unreleased stuff from LH. I'd love for that stuff to come out first.

But it now appears that Island manages his Lost Highway catalog so powerfully there are some new perspectives on his catalog. Also MoFi has said if LIH does well the labels may want to do more.

I know Ryan bought back his unreleased stuff from LH. I'd love for that stuff to come out first.

But it now appears that Island manages his Lost Highway catalog so powerfully there are some new perspectives on his catalog. Also MoFi has said if LIH does well the labels may want to do more.

Well the good news is that it appears that Island will be doing some things with his LH catalog on the very near horizon and that's about all I can say right now ;) 

Regardless of any of this, the boxset is worth the $60 as it provides an entire records worth of bonus tracks, comes in a nice overall package and is a clear sound upgrade from the original release which runs for twice that amount on the aftermarket.  If they're not sourced from the masters, how in the hell did they obtain a copy of Shadowlands that has a different guitar solo from all the other LiH releases?  I don't think Lost Highway even exists anymore.  It also says that it was mastered from "the original source tapes" inside the booklet of the release.  Should we really question that they're telling the truth?

Again, this isn't some shit pressing of a shit recording originally sourced from the CD of some no-name teenie bop band.  We all know you're gonna pay more for quality and this is a quality product that is worth the money they're asking for, if you're a RA vinyl collector.

Universal owns Lost Highway, but they still own the analog masters and are unwilling to negotiate with them. The Mofi silver series is specifically for releases where they can not use the masters, otherwise they would have released it under their Original Master Recording sublabel.

I bet this release will be a huge seller for Mofi. I am predicting it will be sold out in a half a year.

In fairness (or lack thereof), Whiskeytown never had a single album of theirs pressed on vinyl while they were still a functioning band. The combination of high costs in the '90s and a tiny fanbase probably make it unfeasible for Bloodshot to issue FS... And of course, Lost Highway had NO idea what to do with Whiskeytown during their entire existence. (I have a burned copy of the "original" version of Pneumonia... Different running order, different mixes, and a couple great songs that somehow disappeared during the 3 years LH sat on it. Insane.)

When did Bloodshot get the rights to Faithless Street? I know they put out Heartbreaker, but that is all that I knew they did with Ryan save a few comps they put him on.

Universal owns Lost Highway, but they still own the analog masters and are unwilling to negotiate with them. The Mofi silver series is specifically for releases where they can not use the masters, otherwise they would have released it under their Original Master Recording sublabel.

I bet this release will be a huge seller for Mofi. I am predicting it will be sold out in a half a year.

Where are you getting your information from?

Where are you getting your information from?

Lost Highway/Universal - RA message boards

Mofi silver series vs OMR - from their own advertising that they sent out when the silver series sublabel was created.

I'll send them an email to see what their source is. They were very forth coming about their source for The Band and Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited when I emailed them.

Read the LiH thread at TBY. The guy who masters for MoFi posted there a few times. His daughter posts there regularly. A lot of info there.

Link to specific page explaining difference between the original source tapes they used and the analog masters they're not allowed to obtain? 

That was never said on TBY (Maybe RAA before it went down?)

This post is the one where she says that Universal didn't want to give up the masters.

http://www.tobeyoung.org/showpost.php?p=737329&postcount=14

But I do believe they did at some point. I don't think MoFi would have done this if all they got was a redbook master.