Ryan Adams - Love Is Hell (MoFi)

nyhi

When did Bloodshot get the rights to Faithless Street? I know they put out Heartbreaker, but that is all that I knew they did with Ryan save a few comps they put him on.

My bad... MoodFood originally issued FS, not Bloodshot.

Bloodshot DID issue Whiskeytown 7-inches both before and after the major-label Strangers Almanac. Still not sure how that arrangement worked. But apparently they had a decent relationship with Ryan... When WT went belly-up in 1999, Ryan made the move to Bloodshot to record Heartbreaker (a "major label retreat" that ironically proved to be more influential and popular than anything WT released during their lifespan). He also contributed a pretty excellent track to this Bloodshot comp:

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Down-To-The-Promised-Land-5-Years-Of-Bloodshot-Records/release/3305918

I know there's literally HUNDREDS of unattached RA tracks floating around out there, but this is seriously one worth tracking down. Sounds like the bridge between WT and Ryan's solo stuff. 

That was never said on TBY (Maybe RAA before it went down?)

This post is the one where she says that Universal didn't want to give up the masters.

http://www.tobeyoung.org/showpost.php?p=737329&postcount=14

But I do believe they did at some point. I don't think MoFi would have done this if all they got was a redbook master.

I followed RAA pretty religiously for a long time and up until it went down and I don't recall seeing any discussion involving the source tapes for this release.

So from that post you've given, it sounds like the engineers were given access to the original source tapes, just not how they usually receive access to them.

My bad... MoodFood originally issued FS, not Bloodshot.

Bloodshot DID issue Whiskeytown 7-inches both before and after the major-label Strangers Almanac. Still not sure how that arrangement worked. But apparently they had a decent relationship with Ryan... When WT went belly-up in 1999, Ryan made the move to Bloodshot to record Heartbreaker (a "major label retreat" that ironically proved to be more influential and popular than anything WT released during their lifespan). He also contributed a pretty excellent track to this Bloodshot comp:

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Down-To-The-Promised-Land-5-Years-Of-Bloodshot-Records/release/3305918

I know there's literally HUNDREDS of unattached RA tracks floating around out there, but this is seriously one worth tracking down. Sounds like the bridge between WT and Ryan's solo stuff. 

That is one of my favorite songs of his, I also think Choked Up, which came out on a Lost Highway comp is one of the best things Whiskeytown ever did too. Words is pretty good too off the Elizabethtown soundtrack as well.

I followed RAA pretty religiously for a long time and up until it went down and I don't recall seeing any discussion involving the source tapes for this release.

So from that post you've given, it sounds like the engineers were given access to the original source tapes, just not how they usually receive access to them.

....I still check RAA sometimes for a hopeful sign of life...I miss it....

TBY is better. Less ass kissing.

Meh, I don't think so.  I'm fine with the ass kissing because quite frankly I really don't give a shit what the dude does with his life other than put out good tunes so I really never cared for the Perez Hilton gossip drama side of the guy's career anyways.  I was more than happy to avoid TBY for years but unfortunately there's really no place else to go anymore so I've basically signed up by default.  Plus RAA had all those killer SBDs.  Though there are a couple good dudes I used to get along with who started a new message board over at faithless-street.org so I stop over there every once in a while but it's just not very active.  Hopefully as more former RAA members discover it, things will pick up.

Meh, I don't think so.  I was more than happy to avoid TBY for years but unfortunately there's really no place else to go anymore so I've basically signed up by default.  Plus RAA had all those killer SBDs.  Though there are a couple good dudes I used to get along with who started a new message board over at faithless-street.org so I stop over there every once in a while but it's just not very active.  Hopefully as more former RAA members discover it, things will pick up.

Damn, my thoughts exactly.

I was all about TBY until after the trouble with the JCN leaks, then it became a bit too bitter of a place for me.

I avoided the ass-kissingness on RAA and rather enjoyed the place.

And nothing against faithless-street.org, but it just doesn't seem that active...

Damn, my thoughts exactly.

I was all about TBY until after the trouble with the JCN leaks, then it became a bit too bitter of a place for me.

I avoided the ass-kissingness on RAA and rather enjoyed the place.

And nothing against faithless-street.org, but it just doesn't seem that active...

Yeah, you might get a couple posts a day regarding Ryan over at Faithless Street but Balv and gotnogal (and a couple other familiar faces) are over there so I like to check over there at least once every couple days and chat with them via PM too.

That is one of my favorite songs of his, I also think Choked Up, which came out on a Lost Highway comp is one of the best things Whiskeytown ever did too. Words is pretty good too off the Elizabethtown soundtrack as well.

Yep. Choked Up was on the original Pneumonia that got shelved, then somehow "disappeared" before LH officially issued it. (See my post a couple pages back.)

At least Choked Up actually got a proper release. Tilt-A-Whirl was another standout from Pneumonia V1.0 and it still hasn't seen the official light of day.

I just called Amazon and they are unaware of when 1) they will receive the album and 2) when I will receive the album. This frustrates me beacuse of course I want it, but I am also paying $5 more for a later copy. I don't want to be the dork that waits and waits until the album is sold out before I get mine. Any advice from other folks? What are you other Amazon dudes doing?

I just called Amazon and they are unaware of when 1) they will receive the album and 2) when I will receive the album. This frustrates me beacuse of course I want it, but I am also paying $5 more for a later copy. I don't want to be the dork that waits and waits until the album is sold out before I get mine. Any advice from other folks? What are you other Amazon dudes doing?

I was going to order through Amazon but saw the listing pulled and decided to order through Music Direct to guarantee a copy. Code POTUS10 saves you 10% though you need to add a couple of items to get to $99 for free shipping. I ended up with Foo Fighters GH, the new Broken Bells and Love is Hell for $101 shipped, can't argue with that! 

Once I get my income tax refund, I am planning to order through SoundStage Direct w/code LP10 for 10% off which will also qualify for free shipping since it's above $34.99.

Didn't you answer your own question?