Finch - What It Is To Burn 2xLP Hot Topic exclusives

travis

ZTRI.png

Quick mockup playing with ideas.  I personally dig the idea of a teal logo on black, to match the vinyl variant.  Simple = cheap design.  A secondary color could be incorporated if need be, but I'm sure costs would be a bit lower if we stuck with one.

Added a bit of faux-glare to replicate a metallic ink, but I imagine that'd be much more expensive, if possible at all.  It'd be sweet, but I could live without it.  Also not positive about the placement of the logo -- centered could be a decent.

I never liked the Finch logo, looks too much like a corny prog band. a screenprint of the original album art, maybe w/o text, i'd love that.

I personally think the two-toned replicas of album art look corny as hell. I more or less detest them. Something original and separate from the actual album art would be sweet, if you asked me.

Update: it sounds like gold ink is available at no extra cost. Should we switch to it or keep the teal? I'd really enjoy either, I imagine.

I personally think the two-toned replicas of album art look corny as hell. I more or less detest them. Something original and separate from the actual album art would be sweet, if you asked me.

deconstructed art is chill, but I can see where you're coming from. i'd love for there to be original artwork (at least, original artwork that didn't incorporate the Finch logo as a centerpiece) but I felt like that would be too ambitious for something that's happening at a pace so quickly. besides, I feel weird asking like 'yo, anyone wanna step up and throw down some art?' instead of doing it myself (which I totally don't have the skill for)

I am striking out on finding any metallic blue screen printing ink (for posters) on the web.  To be even more of a pain in the ass, I use solvent-based as well.  The only metallics I can find are gold, silver and bronze. 

I have gold on-hand already.

Non-metallic blue?  I got you covered!

deconstructed art is chill, but I can see where you're coming from. i'd love for there to be original artwork (at least, original artwork that didn't incorporate the Finch logo as a centerpiece) but I felt like that would be too ambitious for something that's happening at a pace so quickly. besides, I feel weird asking like 'yo, anyone wanna step up and throw down some art?' instead of doing it myself (which I totally don't have the skill for)

respect. what we are talking about doing is a slipcover that the existing jacket would slide in to. so doing something totally different feels like a better idea to me.

respect. what we are talking about doing is a slipcover that the existing jacket would slide in to. so doing something totally different feels like a better idea to me.

yeah, I know that. check out the wraparound Captured Tracks did for the new Beach Fossils LP, would work better for a gatefold release like this one.

This changes everything I've ever known.

I use an oddball type of ink for my printing.  Not favored by many printers out there due to the chemicals and the extreme likelihood that I will get brain cancer from it at an early age.  As a result, I struggle to find some of those things.  However, metallic blue isn't coming up for any poster printing inks currently.  Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spots - I'd love to find some and put it to use frequently!

lol right after I said how cool it looks. :-)

yeah fuck it, let's do gold and blue or gold and white or something rad.

As a screen printer, everyone always chooses black and white.  It matches so many artwork setups/layouts, but gets a little dull to stare at - if we are starting from scratch, let's go crazy with it!

EDIT:  But I don't even own a copy of this and would probably never have to look at it again once I send them off - my opinion doesn't amount to much in regards to the colors that you all choose.  :P

I am striking out on finding any metallic blue screen printing ink (for posters) on the web.  To be even more of a pain in the ass, I use solvent-based as well.  The only metallics I can find are gold, silver and bronze. 

I have gold on-hand already.

Non-metallic blue?  I got you covered!

Not that I'm even into this release, just more into the printing aspect, but couldn't a hand-mixed blue and silver ink get a decent metallic blue? Granted it would be a pain for a low-run project, or is my thinking all wrong? I really need to get into one of the screen printing classes this summer, so I can hands on this stuff.

Btw, do you mind me asking where you buy jackets from? I've constructed a few one offs for myself for jacketless releases, but I've been curious about a place to get blank jackets.

Not that I'm even into this release, just more into the printing aspect, but couldn't a hand-mixed blue and silver ink get a decent metallic blue? Granted it would be a pain for a low-run project, or is my thinking all wrong? I really need to get into one of the screen printing classes this summer, so I can hands on this stuff.

Btw, do you mind me asking where you buy jackets from? I've constructed a few one offs for myself for jacketless releases, but I've been curious about a place to get blank jackets.

You can get blank jackets from Dorado, BagsUnlimited and probably a good handful of other print manufacturers - just kind of depends on what precisely you're looking for.

As for mixing - sometimes you get something cool, but it doesn't quite blend the way you think it would - the metallic particles sit next to the solid colors, giving it a unique appearance. I did it with green and gold for the husband&wife test press jackets and I doubt anyone caught it because it's pretty subtle.