Bootlegging. (Yep, another thread on this.)

topher

^^^^

I own one bootleg: Leatherface "Mush" - the band had a hand in it and sold it on tour. I wouldn't touch it otherwise. I wanted that record forever and the band wanted it out there and took control of their music. This is pretty much the only circumstance where I'd venture as the buyer of boot.

Also, just to play devil's advocate here, why is everyone assuming the OP was actually hoping to bootleg something himself? I've almost been curious enough about the subject to ask here before, strictly out of curiosity because of the Euro bootleg of Quicksand - Slip and the many bootlegs of Tool - Aenima. Given all the scary legal implications, it just seems like their existence shouldn't be possible. I guess I didn't realize there would even be pressing plants in countries without copyright laws.

^ This guy gets it. Also look into the Tool - Salival bootleg. Expensive foily-sleeve thing, incredible sound quality. And to reprise the Frank Ocean - Channel Orange discussion, I've heard the sound quality is very good. To say that a bootleg of a CD album could only sound bad is simply a non-truth.

^ This guy gets it. Also look into the Tool - Salival bootleg. Expensive foily-sleeve thing, incredible sound quality. And to reprise the Frank Ocean - Channel Orange discussion, I've heard the sound quality is very good. To say that a bootleg of a CD album could only sound bad is simply a non-truth.

How do you know they were mixed from the CD?

I didn't say it would sound bad, I said it would sound worse than the source.

What I like to do is get a molten vinyl blob and use a rolling pin to make it the right size. You want to be quick though so it doesn't harden on you. Then I put this on my record player, put the needle on it and turn it on. Then I place my computer speakers right next to the needle and turn the volume way up. Then I gently push the tone arm to the center of the record as the music is playing. The vibrations from the speakers move the needle and "cut" these songs into the record. It works perfect every time and sounds great. Good luck!