Bootlegging. (Yep, another thread on this.)

topher

I pray to the forum gods that this one doesn't end up adrift on page 10 by tomorrow, but whatevs. There's at least a dozen or so topics on this subject, but I found no useful information on any of them. (Other than making a single-sided, crap-sounding, pirated record with silicon and liquid plastic.)

The question being: How do I take an album that does not exist on vinyl, and press it on vinyl?

Apparently, you need either permission from the label, or the rights to the music. Or a shit ton of money to start your own record company. But that can't be, vinylized boots pop up all the time. I recall seeing the Frank Ocean - Channel Orange bootleg thread on here just today. Somebody's doing this, and they can't all be millionaires. Anyone who has posted in this thread: http://boards.vinylcollective.com/index.php?/topic/62195-albums-that-should-be-pressed-on-vinyl/, probably knows the feeling. How might 20 or 30 people band together and get a record pressed for their own personal amusement?

Vinyl apparently has become the new craze to own everything on. If it wasnt properly released on vinyl, I am positive you can get it in other formats. Support artists and music and stop trying to be so cool because you want a record that sounds like crap off a file you downloaded anyways

Pretty big fail going on.

To get it pressed legally you need to get permission from the label and pay their licensing fee. You don't need to be a millionaire, but $5,000 would be a good start.

If you want to boot it. Find a sketchy pressing plant and find the best quality file you can. These will be guaranteed to sound worse than the file you sourced it from, but it will be on vinyl.

Or you could be a normal human and just accept that it isn't on vinyl.

Pretty big fail going on.

To get it pressed legally you need to get permission from the label and pay their licensing fee. You don't need to be a millionaire, but $5,000 would be a good start.

If you want to boot it. Find a sketchy pressing plant and find the best quality file you can. These will be guaranteed to sound worse than the file you sourced it from, but it will be on vinyl.

Or you could be a normal human and just accept that it isn't on vinyl.

exactly $5,000 is really all you need to start, and you'd be paying way more than that in legal fees when you get caught selling a boot. All around a terrible idea.

ive never done an actual "facepalm" until now. 

heres what i am getting from this. you are asking a community of people who love the vinyl format,  and the idea of getting the best possible sound out of said format, how to make an illegal and shitty sounding pressing of a record. I'm sure not only are the owners of labels just thrilled with this, but also this community. 

amirite?

People can be really rude on this board and not give you the quality information you're looking for. Shame on them, and lucky for you, I'm here to help. There's a few options.

STEP ONE: Get the vinyl pressed. You have three options.

A. buy a pressing plant. start pressing bootlegs. make sure there's no way for it to get back to you, or you are in a country where there are no laws against this.

B. if it's obscure enough, lie and say you own the rights and get it pressed from a plant that won't recognize or check the music. maybe slow it down a step (make it sound even shittier) so the plant can't shazam it. hopefully they won't figure it out and let anyone you don't want to know about it. or just play dumb and say you signed a band that lied to you. (good luck!)

C. find a plant in europe who you can bribe enough to look the other way.

STEP TWO: ARTWORK

The plant has to apply the labels when the vinyl is pressed, so either get white labels (again, extra shitty looking) so the plant can't look up the band, or put a label for a completely fake band on it and maybe make new sticky labels to put on top (extra extra shitty).

A. Hand make your own artwork and jackets (super easy to do, make it look just like real high quality printing!)

B. Again, bring more people into your illegal scheme who are willing to expose themselves to a potential lawsuit and jail time. Find a printing company who is willing to take a bribe and make your illegal artwork, or forge documents to let them know you are from Sony Records.

STEP THREE: LAUNDERING THE VINYL

Okay, now you have to get some money back on your investment to make this whole thing worth while.

A. Travel around the world and hit up used record stores, one by one and try to sell them off as used, act like you have no idea where they came from. I wouldn't try selling a store more than one or two copies at a time. They will definitely get suspicious, trust me! If they say they don't want em, don't lose hope, there's tons of record stores.

B. Create tons of fake eBay names. This is where most bootlegs are let loose to the public. Just use as much fake information as you can, and you are good to go!

(this post is completely sarcastic, and this is quite literally the dumbest topic ever posted here)

Generally, you're right, but tell me bootlegging Third Eye Blind's self-titled just to spite Stephen Jenkins doesn't sound like a great idea and I'll tell you you're a liar.

Considering that came out on a major label, and they are working on a repress right now, you'd have lawyers all over you, and your life would be effectively ruined.

What's being missed in a lot of this is that the Artist/Label might have a pretty damn good reason for not offering it on vinyl. They might prefer it to be on a certain format or even out of print. I'm a fan of keeping things available but at some point there is a need to respect the artists wishes as our consumer desires simply aren't a good enough reason to bootleg something.

So, not to de-rail this banger of a thread, but I've seen a time or two in this thread that you're suggesting that a good amount of start up capital for trying to press records is around $5000.  I know there have been threads about this before, and I intend to look through them at some point, but I know that when trying to press a record that has never been on vinyl, you have to broker some sort of relationship with the label it was originally on or the artists, themselves.  Is this an often difficult process?

So, not to de-rail this banger of a thread, but I've seen a time or two in this thread that you're suggesting that a good amount of start up capital for trying to press records is around $5000.  I know there have been threads about this before, and I intend to look through them at some point, but I know that when trying to press a record that has never been on vinyl, you have to broker some sort of relationship with the label it was originally on or the artists, themselves.  Is this an often difficult process?

All depends on the label and the artist

Considering that came out on a major label, and they are working on a repress right now, you'd have lawyers all over you, and your life would be effectively ruined.

Wow. I couldn't have imagined anybody would dignify that with a serious response. Of course that would all happen and make it not worth it. That whole thing with that record getting repressed has been a shit show, and just the thought of somebody coming in and undercutting the whole thing was funny to me.

Also, just to play devil's advocate here, why is everyone assuming the OP was actually hoping to bootleg something himself? I've almost been curious enough about the subject to ask here before, strictly out of curiosity because of the Euro bootleg of Quicksand - Slip and the many bootlegs of Tool - Aenima. Given all the scary legal implications, it just seems like their existence shouldn't be possible. I guess I didn't realize there would even be pressing plants in countries without copyright laws.

please don't start a "label"

Just for the sake of conversation.

If the artist and former owners of the copyrights are totally on board, There's a huge demand for it, it's something that belongs on vinyl. But the only thing stopping it is a major power house like Disney owning the rights and totally giving two shits about it ever seeing the light of day.

Would you support the bootleg release?

I know, i know. Smite away