I think one of the greatest things about discovering an artist later on in their career is getting to slowly spin their entire discography at your own speed. You can do it all in one sitting, or save albums for an awful day when you just need something to look forward to. It is a pretty privileged way of being introduced to a musician or band.

I do too for the most part, unless it's an artist with such a huge catalogue it's overwhelming.

glad to know i'm not the only one with awful debt problems

My student loans actually garnish my paychecks now, it's garbage.

I also owe money because I had surgery and my insurance company (I was lucky enough to actually have insurance at the time) decided the anesthesia was "elective" but never told me. I just started getting calls over a year later like "You owe us money for that time you got anesthesia during surgery" I eventually told them to go back in time and undo the anesthesia.

I owe Amazon 2 grand. Missed a couple months, couldn't pay the min after that so just let it go. Its behind about 8 or 9 months now & get a letter saying if you dont put $500 down by the 20th this is going to an attorney. Part of me is terrified, part of me is curious what will happen once it goes to an attorney. It could be a bluff but I dont think I should risk it.

It's a scare tactic. If you can afford the $500 cool but they want the money more than anything.

Today has been pretty good. Got a milkshake because of the heat (96 here today but it's thankfully raining today), got a call that I won a free meal from O'Charley's ANNNNNNNNNNND Egg was gracious enough to grab All Time Low for me!

^^ Milkshakes, free meals, record hook ups. I'd say that is indeed a pretty good day!

After a surprise phone call from a design agency that I've had my eye on, I now have 2 interviews this week for graphic design positions in downtown Pittsburgh. I'm really hoping I can land one of these two. I've only been out of school a few weeks but it feels like an eternity and I'm slowly dying at the deli I'm working at now. I'm ready to flex my design muscles with the big boys. 

It's a scare tactic. If you can afford the $500 cool but they want the money more than anything.

Today has been pretty good. Got a milkshake because of the heat (96 here today but it's thankfully raining today), got a call that I won a free meal from O'Charley's ANNNNNNNNNNND Egg was gracious enough to grab All Time Low for me!

I always think a milkshake sounds like a good idea in the heat...until it's gone and I feel AWFUL. haha, hopefully you can stomach it though. I may be slightly lactose intolerant, so that could be part of my problem.  :P

I always think a milkshake sounds like a good idea in the heat...until it's gone and I feel AWFUL. haha, hopefully you can stomach it though. I may be slightly lactose intolerant, so that could be part of my problem. :P

I always end up with a stomach ache due to chugging it! I'm trying to pace myself now but I'm losing the fight haha

Gang - if you have had credit issues in the past request a credit report and simply challenge every single reported ding against your credit score. Half of these places will not object and they will get removed. Take this stuff seriously and be pro-active. This is a very simple step that can be taken.

(I'm feeling like a Dad!) 

The best thing you can do is make a payment the size you can afford. If that is $500 great. If that is $200 great. When the attorney calls you just let them know you just made the largest payment you could and be prepared to lay out a comfortable payment plan. Be proactive in those terms. Do Not Deal With A Collections Agent. Do Show Considerable Effort In The Short Term. These people want their money more than anything so just start getting ready to pay it off but try to make the terms as comfortable as you can. 

Thanks for the input :) One question... should I wait to make a payment once it's in the attorneys hands or make a payment while its with the collection agency? Supposedly making a payment will curb it getting to an attorney but I'm hearing here it's not best to deal with an agency. Please help :(

Thanks for the input :) One question... should I wait to make a payment once it's in the attorneys hands or make a payment while its with the collection agency? Supposedly making a payment will curb it getting to an attorney but I'm hearing here it's not best to deal with an agency. Please help :(

Ooooohhhh....that is a really great question. Personally, dealing with collections is the worst BUT you don't want it to escalate. Have you sat down to consider what you can pay right now and what a reasonable payment plan will be? They want to see it paid off so you need to find the happy medium. An initial payment plus something monthly that you can stick to and that they feel is adequate to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

My advice: come up with a proposal then ask to speak with the supervisor. The lower level folks are there to bully you around a bit. 

Also, do you have a ton of interest on it? If you do then you should consider a payment plan that might be accelerated but would allow you to propose reducing the amount of interest owed. 

Gang - if you have had credit issues in the past request a credit report and simply challenge every single reported ding against your credit score. Half of these places will not object and they will get removed. Take this stuff seriously and be pro-active. This is a very simple step that can be taken.

I've done this and it works! I'm paying off the ones that objected but very solid advice.

Ooooohhhh....that is a really great question. Personally, dealing with collections is the worst BUT you don't want it to escalate. Have you sat down to consider what you can pay right now and what a reasonable payment plan will be? They want to see it paid off so you need to find the happy medium. An initial payment plus something monthly that you can stick to and that they feel is adequate to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

My advice: come up with a proposal then ask to speak with the supervisor. The lower level folks are there to bully you around a bit. 

Also, do you have a ton of interest on it? If you do then you should consider a payment plan that might be accelerated but would allow you to propose reducing the amount of interest owed. 

Not really sure about the how much interest is on it... probably a considerable amount. I do have a payment plan in mind so I'll get with a supervisor and see what they think. I dont think I can swing the $500 they want but if I tell them $300 & they still insist it's going to an attorney for anything under $500 I'll probably say ok, heres my $300, do what ya gotta do & I'll make a plan with you or the lawyer. Thanks for your help :)

Not really sure about the how much interest is on it... probably a considerable amount. I do have a payment plan in mind so I'll get with a supervisor and see what they think. I dont think I can swing the $500 they want but if I tell them $300 & they still insist it's going to an attorney for anything under $500 I'll probably say ok, heres my $300, do what ya gotta do & I'll make a plan with you or the lawyer. Thanks for your help :)

Paying something up front is better than nothing and it does show them you are serious about paying it off. 

who do you challenge the "dings" with? like, if i use freecreditreport.com, is there a way for me to challenge through that, or is it a whole ordeal that i'd have to go through with each credit company?

who do you challenge the "dings" with? like, if i use freecreditreport.com, is there a way for me to challenge through that, or is it a whole ordeal that i'd have to go through with each credit company?

It's been years since I've had to do this but I believe you sign up for their pay service for a month or two - which is worth it in these cases - and they literally put up a tab next to each reported ding that allows you to challenge it. 

Can someone that has done this recently chime in here? 

I did it way back in like 2002 - my parents put things in my name and let them default. It was messed up but I got a few of the items removed because the reporting company never responded to the challenge in 30 days. They are overwhelmed so it's worth a shot. Regardless of whether you did default on something challenge them all and see what happens. 

As to the other credit issue: Just have a plan in hand, speak to the supervisor and show the seriousness of how you plan to handle it. Also, if this hasn't yet been reported to a credit agency be certain that part of your negotiation is that as long as you abide the plan you put forth that they will not report it. Very important if you can get that concession. 

It's always best to get the mailing addresses for each bureau and mail them.  NEVER EVER challenge things online as you lose a lot of your rights by doing that.

Yea, I've done some stuff recently and everything I found everywhere said not to do it online.  I mailed things in to dispute and I had several of them fall off completely.  I now recently did a "pay to remove" which worked, now I have 3 small bills left to try to do "pay to remove" on and if they all 3 go through I will basically have perfect credit.  Online used to be the way to go, but not anymore as you waive rights to have things reviewed and such.

Yea, I've done some stuff recently and everything I found everywhere said not to do it online.  I mailed things in to dispute and I had several of them fall off completely.  I now recently did a "pay to remove" which worked, now I have 3 small bills left to try to do "pay to remove" on and if they all 3 go through I will basically have perfect credit.  Online used to be the way to go, but not anymore as you waive rights to have things reviewed and such.

Good Advice. 

I'm not a lawyer, I've simply helped a few people navigate these issues. There are some surefire strategies to make life easier if you are proactive and understand the other sides perspective. 

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic