I like the idea too but part of me felt it was silly. Since all of you seem to like it… corn maze it is! Her parents are coming to visit from CA soon. hopefully she doesn't say "let's wait until they get here and we can all do the maze together." I kind of want to do it before they get here.

If she does suggest it, maybe you can counter it with apple picking or something? Something more "parent-friendly"?

Have you talked to her parents about the engagement? Do people do that anymore?

If she does suggest it, maybe you can counter it with apple picking or something? Something more "parent-friendly"?

Have you talked to her parents about the engagement? Do people do that anymore?

haha yeahh abouttt thattt. I only met them once since they live in CA. I wasn't sure if i should call them or something? i feel like that would be weird and awkward. It also feels old fashioned.

haha yeahh abouttt thattt. I only met them once since they live in CA. I wasn't sure if i should call them or something? i feel like that would be weird and awkward. It also feels old fashioned.

I was in a similar situation. I didn't say anything to my wife's parents.

i believe my brother talked to his now wife's father before he proposed.

Yeah I definitely think it's a responsible/respectful thing to do, but it does appear to be awfully dated. Maybe you can figure out a more non traditional way of asking him? Does he like beer? Some microbreweries have special 6 packs etc. Maybe you can have one sent to him with a note on it? Something like "I'd like to have a conversation with you over some beers - call me when you can!" Or something like that?

Yeah I definitely think it's a responsible/respectful thing to do, but it does appear to be awfully dated. Maybe you can figure out a more non traditional way of asking him? Does he like beer? Some microbreweries have special 6 packs etc. Maybe you can have one sent to him with a note on it? Something like "I'd like to have a conversation with you over some beers - call me when you can!" Or something like that?

I just don't see why anyone else should know before she does...?

Doesn't that kind of take the piss out of her saying, "Guess what guys, we're engaged!"?

I kinda feel like its just a formality anyway. I don't think he would say "no" and even if he did it wouldn't change anything

Yeah, exactly. Why ask permission if you're just going to do it anyway is what I was saying to the other folks.

Plus, if the fam already knows, she's going to feel like her thunder was stolen when she goes to tell them and they're all, "We know! Your fiance told us before he told you!"

I just don't see why anyone else should know before she does...?

Doesn't that kind of take the piss out of her saying, "Guess what guys, we're engaged!"?

I think about it as a respectful thing. I already said it's dated.

It would then take the piss out of the billions of women who's new fiances asked her parents permission lol. 

I expect my future husband to talk to my parents, had no idea that wasn't still a thing. If I were the dude I'd want to start out on the right foot with my future in-laws, right? I think it's very respectful.

Why? So if he says no you can go ahead with it anyway?

I expect my future husband to talk to my parents, had no idea that wasn't still a thing. If I were the dude I'd want to start out on the right foot with my future in-laws, right? I think it's very respectful.

What she said.

This is exactly what I'm saying.

My point was that I think they survived having their fiances talk to their parents. It's not the end of the world. If everything is civil all the way around, not to mention respectful, then there's nothing to complain about. If the guy doesn't get along with the in-laws, that's a different situation totally.

There's no point in getting wrapped up in the tiniest details of the biggest milestone in your life for the sake of "I do what I want."

I think if I was in a different family situation, I would agree! I think it really just depends on the people in the relationship. 

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic