My point was that I think they survived having their fiances talk to their parents. It's not the end of the world. If everything is civil all the way around, not to mention respectful, then there's nothing to complain about. If the guy doesn't get along with the in-laws, that's a different situation totally.

There's no point in getting wrapped up in the tiniest details of the biggest milestone in your life for the sake of "I do what I want."

I'm not saying it's an "I do what I want thing."  I think it takes a lot of excitement out of the proposal if you, the woman, are excited to tell people about it and they already know.

In my situation, knowing my wife, I knew that would be the case so I didn't ask.

Other people can do whatever they want, I'm just relaying personal experience. I know I get bummed out when I'm excited to tell something to someone and they're like, "Oh yeah, I heard about that like a week ago dude."

Also, isn't getting wrapped up in the tiniest details of that milestone like...the whole wedding thing? Have you never seen a bridezilla?

I was already on fine footing with wifey's parents. I just never talk to them.

Yeah it's def different for everyone. Who knows, if it every happens it may not even make sense at the time to talk with my future bride's dad. I just figure it's the reverent thing to do. Of course that's not to say people who dont speak with their prospective father-in-law ahead of time aren't being respectful.

I was already on fine footing with wifey's parents. I just never talk to them.

Same situation. I don't even think I have their phone number. I have their e-mail…. If i asked for her parent's number I would raise alarms i think. They are going to visit in a few weeks but i kind of wanted to propose this weekend.

Same situation. I don't even think I have their phone number. I have their e-mail…. If i asked for her parent's number I would raise alarms i think. They are going to visit in a few weeks but i kind of wanted to propose this weekend.

This ^^

I didn't want to sneak around, getting in my wife's phone to get her number, being sketchy, couldn't ask because she'd know something was up.

Yeah it's def different for everyone. Who knows, if it every happens it may not even make sense at the time to talk with my future bride's dad. I just figure it's the reverent thing to do. Of course that's not to say people who dont speak with their prospective father-in-law ahead of time aren't being respectful.

Exactly true. Everyone has to do things in the way that fits them, especially something that our society puts so much importance on.

Ours was kind of spur of the moment anyway, so even had I wanted to ask I wouldn't have been able.

tell you what though, i will not be asking anyone but gina about getting married. also i don't know if i can even handle a ceremony with immediate family members for this go round. but that's a later bridge to cross.

This as well^^

We had two friends come as witnesses and got married by a former judge in the park. Done. Then we went out to dinner and went to see the Postal Service.

We finally booked our honeymoon for November and I'm stoooooked.

Congrats btw. I know you haven't actually proposed yet, but just coming to that decision is a big deal.

I'm not saying it's an "I do what I want thing."  I think it takes a lot of excitement out of the proposal if you, the woman, are excited to tell people about it and they already know.

In my situation, knowing my wife, I knew that would be the case so I didn't ask.

Other people can do whatever they want, I'm just relaying personal experience. I know I get bummed out when I'm excited to tell something to someone and they're like, "Oh yeah, I heard about that like a week ago dude."

Also, isn't getting wrapped up in the tiniest details of that milestone like...the whole wedding thing? Have you never seen a bridezilla?

I don't understand why you get so intense on here lately, lol.  You used to be so pleasant and funny. 

You're very adamant about your opinions, I get that. But you can't storm into a conversation the way you do and talk down about everybody else's stance on something. I started this by simply asking 'Do people do that anymore?'  A genuine question because, as a straight woman, I won't be faced with the situation of 'Do I or don't I?' 

Just because you didn't ask, and others won't either, doesn't mean that they are doing wrong by their SO by deciding it's the right decision for them.

I don't understand why you get so intense on here lately, lol.  You used to be so pleasant and funny. 

You're very adamant about your opinions, I get that. But you can't storm into a conversation the way you do and talk down about everybody else's stance on something. I started this by simply asking 'Do people do that anymore?'  A genuine question because, as a straight woman, I won't be faced with the situation of 'Do I or don't I?' 

Just because you didn't ask, and others won't either, doesn't mean that they are doing wrong by their SO by deciding it's the right decision for them.

Maybe I'm just coming off as intense lately, I'm feeling pretty relaxed, I just want people to see the sides of this.

Like I said, people can do things however they want, but doing something just because it's the way it has always been done isn't a good reason to me.

I thought we were having a fine discussion, but I guess I'm coming off wrong. I'm not trying to talk down other people's opinions...I never said one way was right or wrong and I've said a couple times that everyone welcome to do thing the way they see fit, sometimes something is right for one person and wrong for another.

Maybe I'm just coming off as intense lately, I'm feeling pretty relaxed, I just want people to see the sides of this.

Like I said, people can do things however they want, but doing something just because it's the way it has always been done isn't a good reason to me.

I thought we were having a fine discussion, but I guess I'm coming off wrong. I'm not trying to talk down other people's opinions...I never said one way was right or wrong and I've said a couple times that everyone welcome to do thing the way they see fit, sometimes something is right for one person and wrong for another.

Yeah the internet's tricky like that.

But I am in no way a traditional person. That's why i was asking if people still did that. I shoot weddings, so I see super stuffy traditional weddings and I've seen Wiccans marry in the most untraditional setting you can think of. Marriage has changed so much in the last 10-15 years, so I was genuinely curious about the remaining traditional wedding things like men proposing (I'm all about gals popping the question) and asking for permission.

I'm poppin in on this topic just to say, personally, if my boyfriend asked my dad for my hand in marriage, I wouldn't be bummed that they knew before I did, I would think it was really thoughtful of him to think to do that. And I know my dad would have that much more respect for him. (Not that my dad wouldn't if he didn't ask, or that he doesn't already.)

It really depends on the two people getting engaged and their relationship with the future in-laws

That Postal Service tour last year was so good.

Fact.

I'm poppin in on this topic just to say, personally, if my boyfriend asked my dad for my hand in marriage, I wouldn't be bummed that they knew before I did, I would think it was really thoughtful of him to think to do that. And I know my dad would have that much more respect for him. (Not that my dad wouldn't if he didn't ask, or that he doesn't already.)

It really depends on the two people getting engaged and their relationship with the future in-laws

Absolutely. Honestly, I would have liked to ask, but I knew it wasn't right for our situation. I spoke to wife's dad after the fact about it, but I knew she'd be bummed so I didn't ask ahead of time.

This is random and off topic, but since it's October I put on my 'Halloween-ish' playlist on spotify that I made last year to get in the mood for the season and the theme for Goosebumps just came on. I forgot how goooooood that theme song is.

Does anyone else have like 'themed' playlist, or am I the only weirdo?

This is random and off topic, but since it's October I put on my 'Halloween-ish' playlist on spotify that I made last year to get in the mood for the season and the theme for Goosebumps just came on. I forgot how goooooood that theme song is.

I need to make one. That sounds like fun.

Omg I used to have a hurricane themed playlist from when Pennsylvania got hit really hard with a hurricane and everyone was acting like the world was playing. Also a 'scene trash' playlist and a playlist for the mornings. Then my hard drive crashed and I had to say goodbye to them all.

Omg I used to have a hurricane themed playlist from when Pennsylvania got hit really hard with a hurricane and everyone was acting like the world was playing. Also a 'scene trash' playlist and a playlist for the mornings. Then my hard drive crashed and I had to say goodbye to them all.

Yep I had a ton of good playlists on my itunes and somewhere between computers and ipods they all got lost. I just make them all in spotify now, since it lets me procrastinate a little at work.

I have ones for sunny days, fall/winter feeling songs, straight up christmas music, and halloweenish type ones.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic