Sucks when I have the low ground compared to y'all seasoned vets though

I hear ya, man. I'm trying to think of what my top 10 was when I was your age. Hard to think what I was listening to 15 years ago when I'm been jamming as much music in my head since then as possible. I was I kept lists like that when I was younger so I could reflect. Then again, I was an idiot at 15, but I'm pretty confident in my taste in music at any age (I got really lucky - discovering Nirvana and Foo at 8 and all).

Weird to think what my top 10 might be at 45, and what yours might be at 30.

It does not have to be,that's the point. It's what you feel are your favorite albums, your albums you can listen to forever if you were forced to only listen to 10 forever. 

I think at 15/16, I mostly listened to radio rock and radio rap. It wasn't until 17/18 I branched out and found other music existed. 

Well, I knew, games like Tony Hawk introduced me to new stuff, but pre-high speed internet days it was hard to come by.

It does not have to be,that's the point. It's what you feel are your favorite albums, your albums you can listen to forever if you were forced to only listen to 10 forever. 

Too many to choose from, but like I said, it's all pretty cliche stuff. 

I mean, OK Computer is pretty high on the list, Songs For the Deaf is there, Sgt. Pepper, SOAD's Hypnotize...

The only two I can accurately place for sure are

#2: Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

#1: Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape

I hear ya, man. I'm trying to think of what my top 10 was when I was your age. Hard to think what I was listening to 15 years ago when I'm been jamming as much music in my head since then as possible. I was I kept lists like that when I was younger so I could reflect. Then again, I was an idiot at 15, but I'm pretty confident in my taste in music at any age (I got really lucky - discovering Nirvana and Foo at 8 and all).

Weird to think what my top 10 might be at 45, and what yours might be at 30.

Okay, question (and you know I'm a fan too so this doesn't come from a place of hostility): 

You seem to have a knack for criticizing music that's generic or not that creative, so why are you such a big fan of FF, a band sometimes criticized for being just that?

I may not get many agrees but here is my solid 10 for what I enjoy listening to.

Panic! at the disco- a fever you can't sweat out

Mcr- black parade

Pink Floyd- the division bell

M83- dead cities, red seas & lost ghosts

Ellie Goulding- halcyon

Smashing pumpkins- Mellon collie and the infinite sadness

Alex turner- songs from submarine

hans zimmer- inception

Peter bjorn and John- writers block

Jónsi-go

I think at 15/16, I mostly listened to radio rock and radio rap. It wasn't until 17/18 I branched out and found other music existed. 

Well, I knew, games like Tony Hawk introduced me to new stuff, but pre-high speed internet days it was hard to come by.

Crazy to think how the way we went about discovering music at early ages influence these lists too. Like shit, no one has mentioned some the best bands in music EVER. Besides John listing Sabbath and Bruce listing Neil, I find the lack of quintessential bands on here disturbing. In the grand scheme of things 15 years isn't that big of a difference. Do people that age not care about staples? I'm curious to know. I figured when the younger dudes would answer they would have at least one album predate 1995, but fucking hell, man. I'm so sad right now. Nothing from the foundation, the core, the building block of music. MCR and Panic? Fuck me sideways. I'm not asking for a top 10 classic rock list, but fuck; my heart, it hurts.

Charlie, get in here and help me from breaking down in disappointment. Your list and John listing 3 Sababth albums are the only things holding me together right now.

Crazy to think how the way we went about discovering music at early ages influence these lists too. Like shit, no one has mentioned some the best bands in music EVER. Besides John listing Sabbath and Bruce listing Neil, I find the lack of quintessential bands on here disturbing. In the grand scheme of things 15 years isn't that big of a difference. Do people that age not care about staples? I'm curious to know. I figured when the younger dudes would answer they would have at least one album predate 1995, but fucking hell, man. I'm so sad right now. Nothing from the foundation, the core, the building block of music. MCR and Panic? Fuck me sideways. I'm not asking for a top 10 classic rock list, but fuck; my heart, it hurts.

Charlie, get in here and help me from breaking down in disappointment. Your list and John listing 3 Sababth albums are the only things holding me together right now.

TacoMunster covered Pink Floyd, I mentioned The Beatles, and arguably Radiohead has earned their spot in "the greats" already.

I love my classics, but none of them made my list. Kink - Kinda Kinks was really damn close though. Same with Ziggy Stardust.

I may not get many agrees but here is my solid 10 for what I enjoy listening to.

Panic! at the disco- a fever you can't sweat out

Mcr- black parade

Pink Floyd- the division bell

M83- dead cities, red seas & lost ghosts

Ellie Goulding- halcyon

Smashing pumpkins- Mellon collie and the infinite sadness

Alex turner- songs from submarine

hans zimmer- inception

Peter bjorn and John- writers block

Jónsi-go

Oh, this just reminded me, Siamese Dream might be on my list too, but I have too many to pick from!

Also, isn't Submarine an EP? How open are these rules...?

Okay, question (and you know I'm a fan too so this doesn't come from a place of hostility): 

You seem to have a knack for criticizing music that's generic or not that creative, so why are you such a big fan of FF, a band sometimes criticized for being just that?

So, as far as music goes, I don't think the best music has to be ground breaking by any means. I think you know as well as anyone how expansive, diverse, creative, and heartfelt Foo can be. Most people judge them off their radio hits, or even just a handful of songs, which doesn't really give you a good idea of who they are. If I was the everyday Joe and just heard Everlong or Pretender I wouldn't get it either.

Pixies - Doolittle

The Knife - Silent Shout

Pink Floyd - Animals

Sonic Youth - Goo or Dirty (honestly too close)

Guided By Voices - Propeller

Dinosaur Jr. - Where You Been

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream or Gish (again, too close)

Everclear - World Of Noise

Nirvana - Bleach

Cranberries - Everybody Else....

Alice in Chains - Dirt or Jar of Flies could easily take The Knife out.

If I was the everyday Joe and just heard Everlong or Pretender I wouldn't get it either.

Definitely my stance on this. You miss a lot of good stuff that's different by only listening to the radio, and though that's true for lots of artists, I feel like FF are a big victim of this.

Oh, this just reminded me, Siamese Dream might be on my list too, but I have too many to pick from!

Yeah it's an EP I believe. I don't know how strict these rules are, I just listed the albums that are in pretty heavy rotation for me.

EP / LP / Demo. It can be a single for all I care, although that would be really weird.

Also, I can get behind Radiohead. I definitely see their talent, what they bring to the table, and respect them as musicians. I like them. I don't love them, but I certainly don't hate on them. Paranoid Android gets stuck in my head like no one's business though. God damn that bass line is catchy as fuck; love it.

Definitely my stance on this. You miss a lot of good stuff that's different by only listening to the radio, and though that's true for lots of artists, I feel like FF are a big victim of this.

That's why, like I said earlier, I try to listen to as much of an artist or band's catalog before making a decision. I didn't do this 15 years ago regrettably and it made me miss out on a lot of good music. Bands change, they evolve, just like people do.

FF is a HUGE victim. They also have a lot of fans that only know the hits, which is equally as sad. Both of those crowds are missing out on some killer music.

For example, Charlie had never really given FF a chance, so I made him a playlist. Now he is a fan, and if I remember (correct me if I'm wrong, man) he said he would buy their some of their albums on vinyl.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic