frogstomp pre-order

JoeyZPD

• 3 weeks later...

i'm asking you why it's more desirable, not what the definition of precedence is.

It's more desirable for a few reasons:

1. Coloured vinyl often sounds like ass.  Or more aptly "like someone threw a piece of cloth over it", as someone once described it.  Certainly not always, but I have enough of them to not bother if given the choice.
  2. 180 gm produces -arguably- better sound (more to work with/deeper, more accurate grooves, cleaner plastic -- who knows) and is considered audiophile grade.  Some call it a marketing ruse; some don't.
  3. Last but not least, the simple fact that it's heavier will likely yield a longer life time, less chance of warping, etc.

#2 post on this forum echoes/sums up a similar thought: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/cd-bd-dvd-music-vinyl-records/3870-what-180-gram-vinyl.html

Now if only a pre-order option existed for that edition...

1. Coloured vinyl often sounds like ass.  Or more aptly "like someone threw a piece of cloth over it", as someone once described it.  Certainly not always, but I have enough of them to not bother if given the choice.
  2. 180 gm produces -arguably- better sound (more to work with/deeper, more accurate grooves, cleaner plastic -- who knows) and is considered audiophile grade.  Some call it a marketing ruse; some don't.
  3. Last but not least, the simple fact that it's heavier will likely yield a longer life time, less chance of warping, etc.

#2 post on this forum echoes/sums up a similar thought: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/cd-bd-dvd-music-vinyl-records/3870-what-180-gram-vinyl.html

the_more_you_know2.jpg

180 gram records do not have deeper grooves. They are made from the same stampers as lower weight records. The only sonic advantage of a 180 gram record would be if it is virgin vinyl, which it is supposed to be.

And techincally, black vinyl is colored vinyl. Vinyl is clear, graphite is added which makes it black.

If a colored record 'sounds like ass' it most likely not because it is on colored vinyl, it's because it is mastered or cut like ass.

180 gram records do not have deeper grooves. They are made from the same stampers as lower weight records. The only sonic advantage of a 180 gram record would be if it is virgin vinyl, which it is supposed to be.

And techincally, black vinyl is colored vinyl. Vinyl is clear, graphite is added which makes it black.

If a colored record 'sounds like ass' it most likely not because it is on colored vinyl, it's because it is mastered or cut like ass.

I've been meaning to say this same thing on so many occasions on here lately!

yes

I thought this sounded somewhat likely:

"180 Gram" refers to the mass of the glob of vinyl (called a biscuit) that used
to press the disc. One twenty and 150 gram pressings are thinner, and hence
cannot be cut as deep as a 180 gram pressing. The deeper the cut, the more
musical information that can be contained in the groove."

But fair enough. I, and many others, stand a little corrected.  Though, virgin non-recycled vinyl's often what ends up in the black releases.  And at the end of the day, more coloured purchases I've made do sound shittier, so when opting for the 180gr and/or black whenever possible, one does potentially avoid crap.  In doing so, I've never been let down.  This would likely explain the other fellow's "precedence" remark.

However, since the black's sold out for this release, I just ordered Neon Green despite everything else!... :)

• 2 weeks later...

damn, I missed this, and now it is sold out...

<stupidQuestion>Any chance to have the neon green in the future, maybe more copies in stock?</stupidQuestion>

It's not really a  stupid question. SRC usually has overages from the plant. Very likely that more will be going up after they are in hand, or they know the actual numbers.

When I was getting quotes to press the YMAEWK record, they told us we would have to buy two sets of stampers if we wanted 180G; one set cut for standard weight and one set cut with deeper grooves for the 180G.

• 2 weeks later...