Gotta Groovebot (Gotta Groove Crowd Funding)

I just got an email from Gotta Groove about their Crowd Funding solution, and it actually seems like an interesting build off of what kickstarter has become and gets them some new business for them potentially.

groovebot.jpg
Announcing The GottaGrooveBot: The Only Crowd Funding / Pre-Order Platform Specializing In Vinyl Records & Other Music Projects!

Fund Music Releases!  Fans - Discover New Vinyl Records and Other Music Projects!

Key benefits of the GottaGrooveBot:
  • Funds raised via the GrooveBot are 100% FREE OF FEES up to the cost of your vinyl record pressing project at Gotta Groove Records.  You raise $2000, your vinyl pressing cost is $2000, you get $2000 -- no third party processing fees assessed! (A low 5% fee is assessed on funds raised in excess of your manufacturing invoice).
  • Get your project started sooner!  In "keep what you raise" campaigns (vs campaigns where a set goal must be met for funding -- it's your choice on setting up either method) Gotta Groove will start your pressing order when your campaign reaches $500 in funding.  You will be asked for a $500 deposit, which will be refunded to you upon the successful completion of your campaign.  No more waiting for your crowd funding campaign to finish and waiting for your raised money to get your record project started -- get your records out to fans faster!
  • By having your pressing plant involved in the campaign, you can be sure that you are promising your fans realistic rewards -- keeping your fans happy is good for everyone involved.  A Gotta Groove rep will work with you to make sure your stated timelines and vinyl color(s)/configurations are attainable.  No promising "clear-with-strobe light inside vinyl" only to find out that it can't be done when your campaign is half-finished (although we're still working on that configuration ;)
  • NOT JUST FOR VINYL PROJECTS!  Any music-related project can be launched via the GottaGrooveBot (subject to approval).  If it's a manufacturing project using one of our Affiliate Vendors, there are still NO FEES taken from your raised funds up to the cost of your manufacturing, and a low 5% fee charged for funds raised in excess of manufacturing costs.  For all other music projects - a low flat 5% fee is assessed to raised funds -- that's it -- no other processing fees! 
  • All of the marketing tools you need are included - social media integration,embeddable campaign widget which can be added to any website, email tools, and an easy-to-use admin.

GOTTA GROOVE RECORDS & THE GROOVEBOT
FUND  .....  MANUFACTURE  .....  DISTRIBUTE

I was persuaded away from this plant by the guy who did my lacquers. Apparently some of the stuff they do is a little shady.

i've had great experiences with GGR, but they did have one of a few guys doing lacquers that was doing a horrible job. That guy is no longer doing work for them once it was figured out, and they were quick to repress and ship every record that was screwed up.

i've had great experiences with GGR, but they did have one of a few guys doing lacquers that was doing a horrible job. That guy is no longer doing work for them once it was figured out, and they were quick to repress and ship every record that was screwed up.

That's probably what the guy was talking about. I'm really happy with united but this is a really cool idea, and it might be enough to make me switch next time around.

The way it sounds is that all funds go to the project ie the money is sent directly to Gotta Groove to be put toward the funding of the record.  The person putting out the record never actually touches any of the money except when the money exceeds the amount the bill is from Gotta Groove.  Its more of a pre-order system than kickstarter where you get nothing if its not fully funded.

can i assume that if this is not funded by the public you are expected to?

As alluded to, you have two options when you set a goal:

1. All or nothing - If you don't reach the goal, nothing happens, no money changes hands, you fail at life.
  2. Keep what you raise - Just like it sounds, it doesn't matter if you reach the goal or not, you keep the money you raise.  GG holds the first $500 and puts it towards your pressing, you are required to come up with any remaining costs, if not through the fundraising then yes, on your own.

That's how I read it anyway.  EDIT: also what Stevie said.

As alluded to, you have two options when you set a goal:

1. All or nothing - If you don't reach the goal, nothing happens, no money changes hands, you fail at life.
  2. Keep what you raise - Just like it sounds, it doesn't matter if you reach the goal or not, you keep the money you raise.  GG holds the first $500 and puts it towards your pressing, you are required to come up with any remaining costs, if not through the fundraising then yes, on your own.

That's how I read it anyway.

oh ok, i must have missed that. I've always wanted to press my buddies band but in all honesty i dont think they would make the funding on their own. just wanted to bring that piece on info to them. 

I think GGR has overcome a lot of the aforementioned issues people have had with them in the past.

I've done a handful of records with them and they always turn out great.

Capital's Givers Takers LP

Cutman's Universal Laws LP

the Heat Tape's 7"

Olehole's Guacamole 7"

Eastland Disaster's 7"

the Vacation Bible School / Pity Party 7"

one time, part of a pressing of 7" was warped and it was immediately fixed/replaced

I mean if you're going to use Gotta Groove to put this out, might as well use this and use it as a pre-order feature.  The money would go straight to the project and nothing else which might be good in some cases.  Plus if funding goes well enough for you you get whatever is left. I'd say it's a win win situation.  Just me though, I don't really know why I'm rooting for this thing to work out, its kind of strange.

I mean if you're going to use Gotta Groove to put this out, might as well use this and use it as a pre-order feature.  The money would go straight to the project and nothing else which might be good in some cases.  Plus if funding goes well enough for you you get whatever is left. I'd say it's a win win situation.  Just me though, I don't really know why I'm rooting for this thing to work out, its kind of strange.

good and bad, you loose 5% of your profits to them.

isn't the 5% only if you're funded over the amount of your bill?  Say you only ask for $2000 and get $3000, but the bill is for $2500 then the way it reads to me is that only the $500 would get the 5% deducted from it which is only $25.  I feel like that's not too terrible.