The Official Horror Thread

Rip

On 10/29/2023 at 9:26 PM, Rip said:

I’m very jealous.  I wish I could go back and watch Midnight Mass for the first time again.  It’s honestly one of the greatest shows I’ve ever seen.  Maybe it resonated with me so much because I grew up with a lot of Catholic beliefs forced upon me and now I’m not religious at all or what, but I was blown away with pretty much every episode.

I didn't grow up Catholic, but I was raised Evangelical, so the religious themes of this show still felt sinister to me in a very deep way. To me, Bev Keane is 100% the villain in this story, and reminds me of I don't know how many people I was raised by/went to church with/am related to, with that infuriating level of sanctimonious judgement and self-righteousness. I actually really felt for Fr. Paul, he seemed like someone with a sincere heart trying to do right but in a bad way. Bev was just completely fucking reprehensible (but PHENOMENAL acting by the actress who played her, no criticism there!)

11 hours ago, Rip said:

I’ve heard it’s a great “gateway” horror movie for younger kids and I’m always here for that.

Yeah, it's true.  He also wanted to go to a haunted house for the first time this year - problematic because he is definitely afraid of the dark - so I made plans with my friend and his daughter and we all went out to a local place that has five different haunted house (all of which are actually pretty good) and I'll be damned if he didn't love every one of them.  Hopefully he'll have a thirst for more horror, but I'm slow rolling it for now.

Didn't get as much watched as I would've liked, but still had a fun October!

• 15 Cameras
  • The Blob (1988)
  • Brain Damage
  • Creepshow : Season 4
  • Dark Harvest
  • Demons 2
  • The Exorcist : Believer
  • Friday the 13th : The Final Chapter
  • Halloween : The Curse of Michael Myers
  • Hellraiser
  • Last Shift
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street 3 : Dream Warriors
  • Night of the Demons 2
  • Pet Semetary : Bloodlines
  • It Lives Inside
  • The Texas Chainsaw Massacre : The Beginning
  • Totally Killer
  • V/H/S/85

On 10/28/2023 at 11:34 PM, dawhizz said:

Might sneak in a few more, but here’s what I watched this holiday season: Rosemary’s Baby, Host, His House, They Live, The Exorcist, Poltergeist, Candy Land, Coming Home in the Dark, Lamb, Watcher, and Scream VI. Really liked Host and His House and liked Scream VI more than I expected. 

Managed to squeeze in Evil Dead Rise, Train to Busan, and The Omen. All fun ones!

On 11/1/2023 at 8:50 AM, radiatorhums said:

Didn't get as much watched as I would've liked, but still had a fun October!

• 15 Cameras
  • The Blob (1988)
  • Brain Damage
  • Creepshow : Season 4
  • Dark Harvest
  • Demons 2
  • The Exorcist : Believer
  • Friday the 13th : The Final Chapter
  • Halloween : The Curse of Michael Myers
  • Hellraiser
  • Last Shift
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street 3 : Dream Warriors
  • Night of the Demons 2
  • Pet Semetary : Bloodlines
  • It Lives Inside
  • The Texas Chainsaw Massacre : The Beginning
  • Totally Killer
  • V/H/S/85

Nice. I guess I watched a lot this season. There were more, but I just can't remember them.

·       Totally Killer

·       Nun 1

·       Nun 2

·       All Annabelle movies

·       All Conjuring movies

·       Halloween orig

·       Halloween End

·       Something Wicked This Way Comes

·       Blade Trinity

·       Blade 2

·       Mandy

·       Friday 13th

·       Friday 13th 2

·       Friday 13th reboot

·       Cabin in the Woods

·       Phantasm

·       Haunt

·       Haunted Mansion 2023

·       Saw all

·       Final Destination all

·       The Shining

·       Doctor Sleep

·       Trick ‘R Treat

·       La LLorona

·       Lost Boys

·       Scream all

·       Needful Things

·       Insidious

·       Candyman newer

·       Slotherhouse

12 minutes ago, radiatorhums said:

That's an impressive list!  How was Slotherhouse?  It looks dumb and fun, pretty curious about it.

It was fairly stupid, and not always in a good way. One of those movies you have in the background while you're doing other stuff. I do like some ridiculous movies like Snakes on a Plane, Sharknado, Cooties etc., but this movie was more of  one and done. There were some funny moments.

We finally finished Fall of the House of Usher a couple days ago - I thought it was fine, but I'm not crazy about this structure when there really isn't any "present day" narrative to speak of - I know that each episode around one of the kids is present day when compared to the Roderick/Madeline-younger flashbacks, but they are still all *flashbacks* - Hill House managed to balance an ongoing narrative with flashbacks which is way more effective to me, this one just never felt like it had any real stakes since everything (excepting the very final scene) had already passed.

SO, it was better than Bly (but to me only by a bit) and obviously better than Midnight Club because i thought that one was really bad. Midnight Mass and Hill House remain unfuckwithable.

14 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

I really enjoyed that new Hell House movie on Shudder - doesn’t break any new ground in the found footage genre, but is actually really well done with some really creepy scenes.

That's good to hear!  I enjoyed the first two, but thought the third was pretty bad.

On 11/3/2023 at 9:24 AM, iwokeinrelief said:

Starting 30 Coins tonight; after that we're going to check out Scavengers Reign because the reviews on that look awesome.

We're 5 episodes through 30 Coins and it's awesome.  Very Twin Peaks-esque in that it's weird and leans heavily into soap opera melodrama.  Great (at times subtle) world building that expands as the series progresses, and a few Carpenter-esque creature designs.

• 2 weeks later...

We’re up to “live” on 30 Coins (new episodes on Monday, I’m assuming 3 more to go for season 3) - it’s wild. I was genuinely shocked by one scene this season. It’s a ton of fun, much darker in season two, but just bounds of creativity. Obviously I highly recommend it.

Struggling like crazy to find a movie we want to watch though ☹️ was hoping to work a couple in before we started Scavengers Reign.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, radiatorhums said:

I watched It's a Wonderful Knife last night and it was not very good.  Fun idea, bad execution.

Good to know. I thought the premise sounded good, but I’d yet to see enough that had sold me on actually watching it.

Side note- Not horror really, but the new Godzilla is incredible.

• 1 month later...
  • Rip changed the title to The Official Horror Thread