The Official Horror Thread

Rip

13 hours ago, marc32137 said:

Don't Breathe was awesome.

I also really liked it. But a few plot holes I had a hard time looking past. 

Spoiler

1.) Why the hell would you have an alarm system on your house that goes directly to the police if you have a kidnapping station set up in your basement.
2.) The cops come and help the old guy, see the two dead bodies, but pay no attention to the room in his house with chains and mattresses designated for holding pregnant woman hostage? 

Edited by kylet

1 minute ago, KingTacoMunster said:

you should! hopefully you have a theater that shows "fathom" events as I think that's the only ones showing it.

Yea, I checked it out and the theater right down the road from me is showing it.  Looks like this is the only night it's going to be in theaters, correct?

1 minute ago, dantheriver said:

Yea, I checked it out and the theater right down the road from me is showing it.  Looks like this is the only night it's going to be in theaters, correct?

possible. I think the actual release date is in November and not sure if its wide/limited release. go while you have the chance!

On Monday, August 29, 2016 at 7:36 AM, kylet said:

I went last night. It was just okay 

Hide contents

What didn't you like about it? Now I'll admit I'm a rob zombie fanboy but I thought it was definitely awesome. He has such a knack of creating iconic villains like a Otis or Spaulding and now doom head. Richard Brake was amazing partly due to him and the material. You kinda know what to expect with a rob zombie movie and he delivered. He makes what he wants to make and between the atmosphere he creates, his song choices for the movie and not trying to make some bullshit PG13 movie, this movie nailed it. Is it the best movie ever, no, is it the best horror movie ever, no, but it's a solid slab of horror. I think some people don't know how to turn their brain off and take the ride.

Edited by KingTacoMunster

On 9/2/2016 at 7:32 PM, KingTacoMunster said:

What didn't you like about it? Now I'll admit I'm a rob zombie fanboy but I thought it was definitely awesome. He has such a knack of creating iconic villains like a Otis or Spaulding and now doom head. Richard Brake was amazing partly due to him and the material. You kinda know what to expect with a rob zombie movie and he delivered. He makes what he wants to make and between the atmosphere he creates, his song choices for the movie and not trying to make some bullshit PG13 movie, this movie nailed it. Is it the best movie ever, no, is it the best horror movie ever, no, but it's a solid slab of horror. I think some people don't know how to turn their brain off and take the ride.

First off, I'm sorry if I come off as pretentious and/or an asshole for this comment. Also, I'm sure this is gonna get sorda spoilery so I'll hide it. 

Spoiler

The movie was just okay. As a Rob Zombie fanboy myself this was one of the year's most anticipated movies of the year for me.

1.) The story wasn't very good. Rob Zombie admits that in the Q+A following the movie saying things like "I knew I couldn't get funding for Broad Street Bullies so I thought what's the most stupid thing I can come up with....and that will come out before Broad Street Bullies". He also makes comments about how he thought of the idea in 2 seconds on the phone. It's a bad story.
2.) Sheri Moon is abysmal. She's a bad actress. She plays a shitty bad slutty girl, and an even worse victim/good guy. Her lines are cringe worthy in this movie.
3.) They wasted the best talent. How are you gonna bring in Malcolm McDowell and essentially do nothing at all with his character. 
4.) This was pushed as Rob Zombie's "most extreme" movie to date. He said that himself by saying he crowd funded it and this is the movie he wanted, no studio say, blah blah blah. That was an overstatement to say the least. It was not that extreme in anyway, and you could argue a couple of his movies are more extreme than that. And I know the MPAA neutering it on him, but then don't push it as this super extreme horror movie when clearly it is not.
5.) It was disorienting beyond enjoyment. Any time their was a kill the strobe lights and shaking cameras went crazy. You couldn't even see what the fuck was going on. 

If you disagree with those points maybe you need to stop "shutting your brain off" when you watch movies.

It wasn't awful. Solid C+, maybe a B- after rehearing Richard Brakes one liners a few more times. But it was just okay. I had way more expectations from Rob Zombie. I'd say all of his movies are better than this with maybe the exception of H2 or El Superbeasto. Rob Zombie is a bad writer. He makes awesome visuals, and can come up with some good dialogue, but his stories are weak. I think Broad Street Bullies will be awesome if it ever comes out. It's a true story so there's not much room for him to fuck it up. And he writes cool dialogue, and I love hockey, so I think it would be super fun. 

Here's to hoping Adam Windgard doesn't let me down as much with The Blair Witch.

Edited by kylet

On Monday, August 29, 2016 at 7:36 AM, kylet said:

Hide contents

I get your points and agree with them to a point. Obviously people are going to like different things for different reasons so that's why I like hear others opinions. His premises are short and simple which is nice when it comes to a horror movie, that's where my "shutting the brain off" comment comes in to place, i wanna have fun with a horror movie. I didn't think the shaky cam was bad, we still saw the majority of the killings/knew what was going on so why need to see a clean shot of it? I'd definitely give it a solid B and would also love if he would do the broad street bullies. I also can't wait for Blair witch, never like the original though but have a lot of faith with Adam, but got a feeling the shaky cam will be worse in that movie than zombies.

And more than anything with a zombie movie, you know Sheri is going to be in and know what to expect from her so I'm used to it.

And just for shits and giggles

1. Devils Rejects

2. 31

2. House 1k houses

3. Lords of Salem

4. Halloween

5. Halloween 2

6. El superbeasto

On 9/4/2016 at 2:16 PM, KingTacoMunster said:

I get your points and agree with them to a point. Obviously people are going to like different things for different reasons so that's why I like hear others opinions. His premises are short and simple which is nice when it comes to a horror movie, that's where my "shutting the brain off" comment comes in to place, i wanna have fun with a horror movie. I didn't think the shaky cam was bad, we still saw the majority of the killings/knew what was going on so why need to see a clean shot of it? I'd definitely give it a solid B and would also love if he would do the broad street bullies. I also can't wait for Blair witch, never like the original though but have a lot of faith with Adam, but got a feeling the shaky cam will be worse in that movie than zombies.

And more than anything with a zombie movie, you know Sheri is going to be in and know what to expect from her so I'm used to it.

And just for shits and giggles

1. Devils Rejects

2. 31

2. House 1k houses

3. Lords of Salem

4. Halloween

5. Halloween 2

6. El superbeasto

I guess "shutting my brain off" is fine for summer popcorn movies i.e: The Shallows, The Visit, Ghostbusters, things I don't expect to be very good but go see because it's a Saturday morning matinee and I have nothing better to do. I don't want to have to shut my brain off for one of my favorite directors, or one of my most anticipated of the year. It sorda feels like he was phoning it in, because I've seen him do much better time and time again.

If I had to rank them I'd go
1. Devils Rejects
2. Lords of Salem
3. Halloween
4. House of 1000 Corpses (I haven't seen it in awhile, might be higher than Halloween if I rewatched it again)
5. 31
6. H2
7. El Superbeasto

Edited by kylet

16 minutes ago, kylet said:

I guess "shutting my brain off" is fine for summer popcorn movies i.e: The Shallows, The Visit, Ghostbusters, things I don't expect to be very good but go see because it's a Saturday morning matinee and I have nothing better to do. I don't want to have to shut my brain off for one of my favorite directors, or one of my most anticipated of the year. It sorda feels like he was phoning it in, because I've seen him do much better time and time again.

If I had to rank them I'd go
1. Devils Rejects
2. Lords of Salem
3. Halloween
4. House of 1000 Corpses (I haven't seen it in awhile, might be higher than Halloween if I rewatched it again)
5. 31
6. H2
7. El Superbeasto

Not too far off in our ratings!

2 minutes ago, KingTacoMunster said:

Not too far off in our ratings!

I think we can all agree Devils Rejects is the best and H2 and Superbeasto aren't very good lol. Just personal preference on the ones in between.

Have you watched Blair Witch recently? I didn't remember it being anything special either. I revisited it this weekend and really liked it. I got the bluray for like $8 bucks which includes a really cool fake documentary called Curse of the Blair Witch. It's like an hour long and has like fake interviews, mythology with historians, news broadcasting all about the Blair Witch. It was pretty cool. 

36 minutes ago, kylet said:

I think we can all agree Devils Rejects is the best and H2 and Superbeasto aren't very good lol. Just personal preference on the ones in between.

Have you watched Blair Witch recently? I didn't remember it being anything special either. I revisited it this weekend and really liked it. I got the bluray for like $8 bucks which includes a really cool fake documentary called Curse of the Blair Witch. It's like an hour long and has like fake interviews, mythology with historians, news broadcasting all about the Blair Witch. It was pretty cool. 

I have not yet, I do plan on watching it before the new one. im curious if my thought will change on it, I know ive seen in more than once but never cared for it. I cant believe they are actually redoing Ring again, looks horrible.

2 minutes ago, FiggyPuddling said:

The original Blair Witch is one of my favorites.  There's something so creepy about the whole thing.  And I don't care what anyone says about the ending.  It's freaky as hell.

There's some cool alternative endings on the bluray too. Just different takes on the same scene. Spoiler warning on a 20 year old movie!!! The dude levitating in the corner, the dude hanging in the corner, the dude facing forward. The bluray is definitely worth picking up. Nice way to spend my raining Sunday lol.

4 minutes ago, kylet said:

There's some cool alternative endings on the bluray too. Just different takes on the same scene. Spoiler warning on a 20 year old movie!!! The dude levitating in the corner, the dude hanging in the corner, the dude facing forward. The bluray is definitely worth picking up. Nice way to spend my raining Sunday lol.

No joke, I was at FYE a couple days ago and I saw and really thought about getting it cause it was on sale for $8 or something.  Decided not to though.  I'll have to do that soon.  I plan on going to Best Buy today after work to see what new releases came out today so maybe if I see it there for cheap enough I'll grab it.

I DID pick up some things I have been wanting at FYE though:

Baskin blu-ray/DVD combo

The Mutilator (recent Arrow release)

Session 9 (recent Scream Factory blu-ray release)

Was really excited to get all of those.  Especially the Session 9 blu-ray.  Another one of my favorites.

28 minutes ago, FiggyPuddling said:

No joke, I was at FYE a couple days ago and I saw and really thought about getting it cause it was on sale for $8 or something.  Decided not to though.  I'll have to do that soon.  I plan on going to Best Buy today after work to see what new releases came out today so maybe if I see it there for cheap enough I'll grab it.

I DID pick up some things I have been wanting at FYE though:

Baskin blu-ray/DVD combo

The Mutilator (recent Arrow release)

Session 9 (recent Scream Factory blu-ray release)

Was really excited to get all of those.  Especially the Session 9 blu-ray.  Another one of my favorites.

I do not understand the hype behind Session 9?! A few of my friends really dig that movie. Scream Factory gave it their full make up. I've only seen it once awhile ago but it didn't do anything for me.

I grabbed the Blair Witch bluray on amazon. It's pretty cheap there. It also comes with an Ultra Violet code. I don't actually use mine, I just sell them on ebay for $6-7 bucks each so I end up getting blurays for like $2-3 bucks lol.

35 minutes ago, FiggyPuddling said:

Also, I wish there were more FYEs near me. They have some super cheap used stuff!

Edited by kylet

2 hours ago, kylet said:

I do not understand the hype behind Session 9?! A few of my friends really dig that movie. Scream Factory gave it their full make up. I've only seen it once awhile ago but it didn't do anything for me.

I grabbed the Blair Witch bluray on amazon. It's pretty cheap there. It also comes with an Ultra Violet code. I don't actually use mine, I just sell them on ebay for $6-7 bucks each so I end up getting blurays for like $2-3 bucks lol.

I just love the story and the creepy ass location.  The acting's pretty damn good as well (except the famous "FUCK YOU" line).  Other than that, it's just one of those movies that I could turn on any time and enjoy it.  It's hard to explain.

2 hours ago, kylet said:

Also, I wish there were more FYEs near me. They have some super cheap used stuff!

I wish there was one "near" me as well.  I moved about 40 minutes from my parents house this past February and there isn't an FYE near me at all.  Luckily I stop in town and visit them/some friends almost every weekend so I can usually find the time to stop in there and do a quick search.

I am fortunate enough to live near a Best Buy, Target, two Exchange's, and a Buybacks now though.  Buybacks is about 15 minutes from me now but 9 times out of 10 it's worth the drive.  They have some of the cheapest stuff I've ever seen.

Edited by FiggyPuddling

• Rip changed the title to The Official Horror Thread