Explosions In The Sky - A 3rd Grade Poetry Project

Seeing this thread for the first time.  This is fucking awesome.  I'm sitting in a massive library at my school, and this has kind of made me rethink what the fuck I'm doing with my life.  I've always wanted to teach, I think it would be awesome to be able to have some sort of positive impact on kids, no matter how small it might be.  But for some reason I'm taking business, and it seems like the least fulfilling/empty thing I could have possibly chosen.  Even if I start a company and make millions of dollars, I'll never do anything this fucking cool.  

Yeah, in general my job gives me a lot of satisfaction. I'm nowhere near rich and never will be, but I enjoy doing my best to have some sort of positive impact on the future of our world. I would suggest volunteering in a classroom to see if it's right for you. I started out teaching poetry of an org called California Poets In The Schools. It made me realize that teaching is what I wanted to do. It's funny that, if you met me you probably would not guess I am a teacher. It's gotta be something you love. I guess just like any path to happiness.

do you have the originals? i was thinking something like scanning them (the gems, at least) and having them assembled as a collage for the next album's insert or something. don't have time to read all these at work but i loved the ones i read in the first post. amazing stuff!

edit: or, yeah, now that i've read more of the thread, a book. but really, being able to read scans of the originals exactly as the kids wrote them would be incredible.

do you have the originals? i was thinking something like scanning them (the gems, at least) and having them assembled as a collage for the next album's insert or something. don't have time to read all these at work but i loved the ones i read in the first post. amazing stuff!

edit: or, yeah, now that i've read more of the thread, a book. but really, being able to read scans of the originals exactly as the kids wrote them would be incredible.

I don't have any of the originals. The kids get to take it all home at the end of the year to hopefully keep. Handwritten pages would look cool.

Their writing still trips me out, even after 13 years of doing this. The kids come up with lines that just kill. I just hope they keep the classroom anthology we do every year and read it someday when they are older so they can remember how awesome they were, especially if they've lost their way.

This is my first time reading this thread. So awesome!

Secret

I have a secret that I

told no one in my life.

It will make me nervous if

I tell someone, but I did anyway and

I felt fine.

Then I told my friends and I

am still going to tell more people.

I will not be scared anymore.

I will be me and

stay like that.

- Eve

I just hope they keep the classroom anthology we do every year and read it someday when they are older so they can remember how awesome they were, especially if they've lost their way.

I also hope they read these, like the one above, when they are older. Re-reading this poem in the future could save this girls life.

yeah, a book would be incredible. let it build up for a few years....scan their writings with their handwriting...

would be a good read and a great seller.

Explosions in my Heart.

I don't know if you noticed the poem on this page "Below The Sky", I played them If These Trees Could Talk during that writing session.

i saw that...and this is what i wont forget reading from that passage:

...millions of hippos crawling like babies

it would be interesting to see if the writings are close to the same per different artists.

like gather up the ITTCT writings vs. EITS writings...and make a side by side quiz asking us. im so curious to see if theres a  big difference. both instrumental bands, but both different styles.

• 3 months later...

I am in a mad dash to try and get the students' poems typed up and to do my cut and paste layout for this year's chapbook anthology. During the last week of school we have a "Poet's Café" where we invite the whole 2nd grade into our 3rd grade room to hear each poet read a poem. For this event we provide a small snack and a drink. We are talking about 100 kids, so this gets expensive.

To help offset costs I am holding out a hat for $10 donations. For your $10(or more) donation you will get a copy of this book, which is just folded pages stapled together with a cardstock cover filled with 38 poems. This is not the big anthology that will hopefully come later, this is just this year's poets in my class. I will mail your book when school ends in June. If you're international a bit extra to cover more postage would be greatly appreciated.

I can take up to 10 donations. If you're interested, just pm me and I can give you my info. All money will be used toward the snacks for our little poetry event.

I have only typed in the poems of a few students, so far, but I can tell it's going to be a good year. I could do a whole book filled with one particular student's work. I will try to post some of the new work tomorrow evening.

Thanks for all of your awesome comments!

Thank you to those who have donated so far! I really appreciate your support for this project. Here is a poem that will be in the book that you will receive as a thank you gift. For some reason I can't paste in these posts, so I am retyping just one here.

River

I am like a baby turtle swimming

for the first time, but I am the

only one left out of all the baby sea turtles.

I have a weird personality.

I am a dreamer. I dream about

the past and future.

I stand

with others no matter what.

I help and love animals no matter

how smelly, no matter how mean, no matter

how soft or rough.

I do things in different ways. And if you follow

your heart you could get

past the river.

- Aiyana

One more from my star poet this year.

Your Blue Horizon

Her name was Sky and she used to look

elegant, but now she is just a dream.

I still can see her blue horizon.

Sky said, “Sometimes you have to keep

moving forward.”

Stars helped her glimmer at night all

the time.

Night, morning, and day reminds me of Sky, she

used to glimmer in the day time.

- Aiyana

I hope you use the same spelling, punctuation and grammar as these kids.

I talk with them about them about all of these things and let them know that they are the artist and they must make the choice, but also know the choices. Sometimes if they just write a brick of text I will type it that way and show them other poems and let them tell me where/if they want any line breaks or stanzas. My main thing is to keep my hands off, so the integrity of it being their actual poem remains. It's exciting to open their folders and see what amazing things they have come up with. It surprises me every year.

I have a few more spaces left if anyone wants to donate for a book. I will cut it off on Saturday, whether we reach the max or not. Thanks!

I gave the class a Caspian title this year. While they wrote I played the track. This was one of them.

Hymn For The Greatest Generation

One day, a little boy was playing a

song on stage. It was Thanksgiving,

everybody was there. They all were clapping

when the little boy was playing the song.

It was like a feast. One song he played was

a long, long song. There was a big

group of people clapping and

crying a

little bit.

-  Rafael

• 1 month later...