Boston Peeps

crime

Couldn't find an existing thread about this, so I thought it would be safe to start one.  My girl and I are heading down to Boston the last week of August.  I was just wondering if anyone could recommend some punk/hardcore promoters/clubs to keep our eyes on for shows while we're down there.

I know August usually isn't the greatest time to catch shows, but who knows, there might be something rad going down.

Also, there is a Mexican joint called "Villa Mexico" tucked inside of a gas station on Caimbridge St that makes the best burritos in town. That place is a hidden gem no doubt.

You can always go to the North End. You can't throw a rock without hitting an excellent Italian place over there.

Veggie Galaxy is amazing! As is Galaxy Pizza which owned by the same people. Grasshopper in Allston has great vegan food as well! The North End has the best Italian food and bakeries in the city. Orchard Skateshop is really great (if you're into anything like that!), and there's a few of cool record stores too!

This website is fairly useful to check up on especially as the week gets closer: http://bostonpunk.org/ They are generally pretty good at cataloging the punk and hardcore shows around the city. 

I'm going to check out that burrito place! That sounds amazing.

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to do a little record shopping I think you best bet is to take the redline in to Cambridge. 

If you guys are into beer check out The Lower Depths or Meadhall. Meadhall can be a weird crowd but the beer list is decent. Other people who live their may have better suggestions. And depending what is on, I really like the Science Museum. 

Could also catch a Sox game, especially now that they kind of suck. Fenway is awesome. 

You should go to Armageddon and buy some records. Next door to that is a restaurant/bar called Charlies Kitchen. Hit that up for cheap food/beers. You can also hit up Newbury Comics for records as well. There is one walking distance from Armageddon. See Fenway but expect to pay a shitload to do anything in the area especially if there is a game going on. 

Shows happen here all the time. August is a ways away so I don't think anything is booked. A lot of the good punk/hardcore shows are in basements/VFW halls. Just keep checking the closer you to coming here.

Don't go to Roxbury,Don't go to J.P., Don't go to Fenway Public Gardens (after dark) , The North End is nice but expensive as hell and kind of a tourist trap, Faneuil Hall is a tourist trap, Southie is just a neighborhood. Driving here sucks, if you are not familiar with the area I don't suggest renting a car.

Meet up with me and get hammered while we talk wrestling.

If you have any questions about any particular thing feel free to ask.

You should go to Armageddon and buy some records. Next door to that is a restaurant/bar called Charlies Kitchen. Hit that up for cheap food/beers. You can also hit up Newbury Comics for records as well. There is one walking distance from Armageddon. See Fenway but expect to pay a shitload to do anything in the area especially if there is a game going on.

Shows happen here all the time. August is a ways away so I don't think anything is booked. A lot of the good punk/hardcore shows are in basements/VFW halls. Just keep checking the closer you to coming here.

Don't go to Roxbury,Don't go to J.P., Don't go to Fenway Public Gardens (after dark) , The North End is nice but expensive as hell and kind of a tourist trap, Faneuil Hall is a tourist trap, Southie is just a neighborhood. Driving here sucks, if you are not familiar with the area I don't suggest renting a car.

Meet up with me and get hammered while we talk wrestling.

If you have any questions about any particular thing feel free to ask.

Thanks dude! We'll be driving, then parking the car and walking/taking public transportation everywhere.

If you want to do a little record shopping I think you best bet is to take the redline in to Cambridge.

If you guys are into beer check out The Lower Depths or Meadhall. Meadhall can be a weird crowd but the beer list is decent. Other people who live their may have better suggestions. And depending what is on, I really like the Science Museum.

Could also catch a Sox game, especially now that they kind of suck. Fenway is awesome.

I can't for the life of me talk my wife into a game, which sucks because the Yankees are playing while we're there.

yeah the cambridge elks lodge puts on good hardcore / punk shows, also with the ones stated above. too bad the ICC isnt doing much these days.

i quickly glanced at what was mentioned, but for records, Nuggets in Kenmore Square, and In Your Ears near the Paradise music venue. And of course newbury street, where its all shops and pricey stuff, but i miss newbury comics. like jeffersonhowell said, the science museum rules.

Uburger is good, also located near the Paradise venue, right across the street

Spikes is really good too...good hot dogs and chicken, one located near harvard ave, in Allston. another one near newbury street

Sunset Grill & Tap is awesome...cool atmosphere, great food, i dont drink but over a 100 beers on tap. that too is located in Allston, on brighton ave and harvard ave.

a bunch of little pizza places everywhere, you cant go wrong. my favorite is Brighton House of Pizza in brighton. i agree with whoever said the north end has some good italian food.

even just walking around the city is awesome, the history it has. its a small city and if its nice out, walking would ok. if you dont go to a game, at least walk around fenway. 

If you like history check out the Freedom trail. Its cool to see little perserved graveyards/churches smushed in between skyscrapers. Seriously tho I would'nt rent a car. The city is not in a grid or anything and is very hard to navigate. I have lived here for all of my 30 years and I still get lost sometimes. Also the parking situation sucks.

Can anyone recommended a decent place to eat with vegetarian / vegan options but also some meat anywhere near Paradise?

at cambridge and beacon st...not too far from the paradise is the Grasshopper in Allston. i personally have never been, but a lot people i know go there, and its talked about a lot. like i mentioned before, Uburger, Spikes, and Sunset Grill & Tap are all relatively close to the paradise

My girl and I got a package through expedia.  We're staying at Hotel 140 which is a 4 star and kinda right in the middle of things.  4 days, 3 nights and flight (out of Buffalo) for the two of us was about $800 after tax.

Boston is an expensive as hell town.  The hotels are even $80-$120 a night.