Tipping for carryout

This is completely wrong. I work for dominos pizza and here we charge 2.75 for delivery. The driver only gets a dollar per delivery and if they take double delivery 40 cents is subtracted from that.

It sucks when people don't tip and especially when the assume drivers get the full delivery charge. They don't.

How am i wrong? The last three places i worked at, the delivery charge was given to the driver. And dominoes here only charges me 2.25. If youre only being given $1 out of it, it doesnt prove me wrong so much as makes my point of giving delivery drivers more on top of the delivery charge. I also made note that the 3 places i worked at, they didnt charge more for the pizzas because they were being delivered. Just had the delivery charge tacked on..

I'm so glad I work in a state that requires a min wage BEFORE tipping is added in. I make $8 an hour plus tips. With that being said, while it's an option most folks don't do carry-out so I don't have to worry about. When people do it's always appreciated, but if they don't I won't hold it against them. When people sit at my table all night drinking and eating and give $4 on a $200 tab... that I kinda get upset about.

Amen. I hope California never adopts the only work for tips law. That would SUCK.

How am i wrong? The last three places i worked at, the delivery charge was given to the driver. And dominoes here only charges me 2.25. If youre only being given $1 out of it, it doesnt prove me wrong so much as makes my point of giving delivery drivers more on top of the delivery charge. I also made note that the 3 places i worked at, they didnt charge more for the pizzas because they were being delivered. Just had the delivery charge tacked on..

Well I guess I worded it wrong but just the whole fact about getting to whole delivery charge. It just most people think we get it all which we don't. Add that to not being paid at least minimum wage it sucks.

Amen. I hope California never adopts the only work for tips law. That would SUCK.

It sound great to get min wage plus tips but the unintended consequence is that fewer servers are hired because they cost more.  Servers would have more work for more pay but there'd be fewer of those jobs.  Then you have servers getting higher wages than the skills for the job warrant.  You can't have it both ways- same amount of positions/jobs and better pay.

It sound great to get min wage plus tips but the unintended consequence is that fewer servers are hired because they cost more.  Servers would have more work for more pay but there'd be fewer of those jobs.  Then you have servers getting higher wages than the skills for the job warrant.  You can't have it both ways- same amount of positions/jobs and better pay.

More work for more pay = Good for me.

Less servers hired = Good for me. (More shifts per week and more tips in my pocket per shift)

Higher wages for doing a job that doesn't warrent skills at that high of pay grade = Good for me. Getting a good wage for a generally simple job.

That's more or less how I see it. A tip is a gratuity for the service aspect of a meal (i.e., taking your order, bringing you your food, refilling your drinks). The "service" aspect of take out is really no different from the "service" aspect of any retail purchase (i.e., putting your purchase in a bag and taking your money). 

That said, if someone wants to tip their cashier at Target or the take out cashier at a restaurant, that's pretty cool of them. I just don't think a failure to tip for takeout makes you a cheapskate.

what about the cooks and chefs who make your food for you who get a share of the tips at the end of the night?  I guess them making your food doesnt matter if you're just going to pick it up at the register.  oh, thats right, who cares. 

you have no obligation to tip there.

does anyone else have a hard time when it comes to tipping at a bar? in the same sense that people think it's dumb to tip for someone putting your food in a bag, i just don't like giving someone a dollar for twisting the cap off my bud light. i mean, i do it. but i'm never that guy who gets the bell rung for a big tip at the bar.

and last week, i was at a boston bar on a saturday night. place was busy. and the only bartender started chatting with the bus boy while i sat there with my money on the bar. she then got pissed at me when i didn't tip her after she charged $12 for 2 BL's

and for the record, when i sit down for a meal, i tip. as long as you're not a complete buffoon, you're getting at least 20%.

what about the cooks and chefs who make your food for you who get a share of the tips at the end of the night?  I guess them making your food doesnt matter if you're just going to pick it up at the register.  oh, thats right, who cares. 

this just reminded me. my last pizza job, the tips collected for pick-up or seat in, were always given to the cooks. it was never much (probably $3-$10 a shift). So if there's a tip jar, be kind and tip for carry-out you heathens!!! 

Also i'm lucky to have a food service job where i make about $15 an hour after i get my tips. for a food service job making sandwiches for 7 hours for friendly people, listening to metal all day, it's pretty good. 

you have no obligation to tip there.

does anyone else have a hard time when it comes to tipping at a bar? in the same sense that people think it's dumb to tip for someone putting your food in a bag, i just don't like giving someone a dollar for twisting the cap off my bud light. i mean, i do it. but i'm never that guy who gets the bell rung for a big tip at the bar.

and last week, i was at a boston bar on a saturday night. place was busy. and the only bartender started chatting with the bus boy while i sat there with my money on the bar. she then got pissed at me when i didn't tip her after she charged $12 for 2 BL's

and for the record, when i sit down for a meal, i tip. as long as you're not a complete buffoon, you're getting at least 20%.

you'll get ignored from time to time. it happens. 

$12 for 2 bud lights? what a waste of money. :P

some bartenders are shitty people who are expecting you to tip. sometimes they just don't give a fuck one way or another. sometimes they are just busy and are irritable. it happens. luckily i rarely ever deal with those people. when i do i give two to three times as much on the first drink and i be sure to pay them and tell them to keep the change (usually $6 on a $4 drink, $3 on the next, $1 thereafter. that usually gets me better service. people have bad days dealing with shitty people who drink. sometimes. they just don't care to be there. it's busy, and people feel they need to be served asap. give them a reason for them to give a shit, and your night is golden. i tip alot for two reasons. it makes them notice you and you get service. 2.  1 out of 3 times i usually get a free drink out of it by the end of the night. but i most definitely get better service in almost all cases. Helll everytime i go to the usual clubs, i get my first and second drinks on the house. 

i know what you mean. this is a rare instance of not tipping, simply because someone isn't doing their job. at least not to the standard that they deserve any extra.

i've also been the beneficiary of being friends with the bartender many times. where we would go out with a group of people, finish with about a $15 tab, and then leave about $30 on top of it.

Yes the driver gets $1.00 of the delivery fee, but that is in no way a tip. That barely covers gas, let alone the wear and tear on the vehicle they are driving to deliver you your pizza. IRS standard mileage reimbursement for an employee using their car for work related use is somewhere around $0.58 per mile. If your place is further then one mile from the location of the restaurant, they are losing money. Yes a lot of people live within that mile, but a lot do not, and that extra $1 doesn't even cover the amount a driver should be getting for using their vehicle for deliveries. So getting a tip on top of that is pretty nice and should happen every time.

I only drink in shithole bars to guarantee that I will not be paying 6 bucks for a bottled beer. Skip these places Ry Bread, I can give you a list of dives. I went out to eat friday in Somerville and was drinking $2.75 Gansette drafts. Charlies in Harvard has cheap drinks too.

we were at the whiskey priest. within 2 minutes i knew i was in the worst bar in boston. it was one of those situations where we met a group of people who we didn't really know, but they all made the plans already.

and once you've already gotten shafted with the $10 cover, leaving doesn't really seem like an option.

i'm pretty sure i've been to charlies before.. unless i'm thinking of the one in amherst.

$6 drafts and a $10 cover charge? Place sucks. Thats the other thing about me tipping if I am in a dive bar and paying low prices for drinks I am more inclined to tip. If I am dropping $7 on a 12oz Bud Light, you prob. wont get a tip.

Charlies in Harvard Sq. is different than the one you are talking about. It's not the nicest looking place but the food is good and the drinks are cheap. The jukebox is also awesome.

every bar ive gone to lately has been pretty much focused on finding a jukebox. it's fun, because the crew i'm usually with are music snobs, and selection is always TERRIBLE. so we really have to dig deep to find the good cuts.

here's a tip for a fun date! worked great for 4 of us the other night... everybody go up to the jukebox one at a time and play 3-5 tracks. 

not sure what part of boston i'll be in this weekend, but i'll definitely keep charlies in mind.

every bar ive gone to lately has been pretty much focused on finding a jukebox. it's fun, because the crew i'm usually with are music snobs, and selection is always TERRIBLE. so we really have to dig deep to find the good cuts.

here's a tip for a fun date! worked great for 4 of us the other night... everybody go up to the jukebox one at a time and play 3-5 tracks. 

not sure what part of boston i'll be in this weekend, but i'll definitely keep charlies in mind.

dude, the pizza joint on campus has a jukebox to die for. you can listen to slayer one minute, and the commodores the next. prince, willie nelson, at the drive in, jawbox, fats domino.  no one play is bad because their cd collection in their jukebox is well versed with good tunes. 

my old neighborhood bar had a jukebox that played nothing but country/jazz from  pre - 1975. 3 plays for a quarter too. and it was xmas all year around. 

I’ve worked pretty much every job in the service industry. Horror.

I have a thing I always do when it comes to making friends with bartenders. This probably only works because I am a girl though. When they first serve me, I say “what’s your name? I always like to know my bartenders name.” Then... tip them fat on first and 2nd drinks. After that, I suggest we do a shot together. 

This usually works on women and men bartenders, for me anyway... again it probably only works because I’m a girl.

I thought this was basic knowledge but I see it all the time... never hold money or a credit card out and wave it in their face. They’ll ignore even harder than they were before.