Tipping for carryout

That brings up tipping on deliveries.  That thread seems to state that you should tip 15-20% on deliveries too.  I'll be honest I normally tip $1+the change.  I go in streaks of ordering Pizza once a week.  They have a $2 delivery fee, plus the fact that delivery prices are already $3-5 more than carryout prices.  My order is typically about $15.50 and I pay $17, is that inordinately low?  I've stopped getting deliver because carryout cost is $8+ change. 

That brings up tipping on deliveries.  That thread seems to state that you should tip 15-20% on deliveries too.  I'll be honest I normally tip $1+the change.  I go in streaks of ordering Pizza once a week.  They have a $2 delivery fee, plus the fact that delivery prices are already $3-5 more than carryout prices.  My order is typically about $15.50 and I pay $17, is that inordinately low?  I've stopped getting deliver because carryout cost is $8+ change. 

The worst thing a place can do is charge a delivery fee. The drivers don't get the money but the people ordering don't know that so they tip low.

$2 delivery charge is usually subtracted from the cash that the driver needs to turn in at night. that's $2 for each delivery for gas or what not. So if he makes 15 deliveries, he gets $30 (or less after taxes) At least at the 3 i've worked it, it's always been that way. and the 3 pizza places i worked at the pizzas were the same price for pick  up or delivery. they just charged $2 extra for delivery fee. nothing more. dominos only charges me $2.25 extra than i would normally pay. i dont know where you go, but you're getting jacked.

seriously though. $2 barely covers anything. it's usually common practice to tip $3 to $4 on top of that order. i usually tip $5 on top of my regular order. 

20% and up whether it be take in or eat out. If I don't look my best the day I eat in, and I can tell I'm being judged on my appearance, I tip more just as a sort of way to tell them not to judge because you never know. If someone I'm eating with insists on leaving a tip, and it isn't enough, I always go behind their back and give more.

As far as takeout, sometimes (more ofter than not) I'm the only one taking any orders, be it take out or dine in. I'd say 50% of the time I get tipped. The other thing I find odd is when people order only dessert. I fucking hate dessert. That's something I prepare. If I'm busy it sets me way behind, and yet I rarely get more than a couple bucks from that. What gives?

I deliver oxygen and other medical equipment and have probably gotten fewer than 10 tips in a little over 2 years. I've never really understood why you tip a pizza delivery but not an oxygen delivery. Maybe I'm biased.

Truth is, I'd most likely tip you. I pretty much tip in every scenario of delivery or service. Sometimes I kill myself wondering if I've tipped enough or should I tip. I tip at the carwash, the salon, Starbucks....... I'm an obsessive tipper I have to admit.

There is a growing number of people who will refuse to patronize certain restaurants because of how poorly they treat employees and how few benefits they get. I found a guide online that shows which ones pay living wages and provide vacation days/PTO and insurance.

it makes me think of how significantly different this country would be if we all made a conscious choice to try to use businesses that compensate workers with the kind of benefits that used to be fairly common.

would you mind linking that? I know some, but would be interested in the whole list

From a strictly take out point of view its identically the same.  Do you tip the guy working at Hess when ya buy a lottery ticket?

That's more or less how I see it. A tip is a gratuity for the service aspect of a meal (i.e., taking your order, bringing you your food, refilling your drinks). The "service" aspect of take out is really no different from the "service" aspect of any retail purchase (i.e., putting your purchase in a bag and taking your money). 

That said, if someone wants to tip their cashier at Target or the take out cashier at a restaurant, that's pretty cool of them. I just don't think a failure to tip for takeout makes you a cheapskate.

man, do i wish people would tip me during my retail hours. when i have to ring up every pair of jeans and underpants you buy, then remove every sensor, fold it all up, and bag it for you, i think $0.75 is more deserved than the guy who grabs my order off a lineup when i walk in to pay.

I usually tip a buck at the carryout places I go too. Most of the carry out I order are from small family owned eateries. If I am picking up from a huge chain (which is rare) I never tip.

All deliveries I add $5. 

What's the difference?  The kid working the register is probably getting paid the same at either restaurant/take out place.  Someone who works at a Pizza Hut should get less than someone who works at a local pizza place just based on the ownership of the establishment?

What's the difference?  The kid working the register is probably getting paid the same at either restaurant/take out place.  Someone who works at a Pizza Hut should get less than someone who works at a local pizza place just based on the ownership of the establishment?

The family run restaurant could use the money more because there is no large chain backing it. That tip could be all they get because they cant cut themselves a check. The two places I frequent are family run as in the family works there. These people work 16+ hour days 7 days a week. I feel more inclined to flip them a tip then a large chain that interchanges employees. It's just my opinion.

Also I worked for a large pizza chain here in Ma. I was told to not accept tips. 

20% and up whether it be take in or eat out. If I don't look my best the day I eat in, and I can tell I'm being judged on my appearance, I tip more just as a sort of way to tell them not to judge because you never know. If someone I'm eating with insists on leaving a tip, and it isn't enough, I always go behind their back and give more.

it seems weird to me that you'd reward someone for being prejudiced toward you and treating you poorly.  I understand how tipping poorly just reinforces the thing you're trying to prevent, but still

$2 delivery charge is usually subtracted from the cash that the driver needs to turn in at night. that's $2 for each delivery for gas or what not. So if he makes 15 deliveries, he gets $30 (or less after taxes) At least at the 3 i've worked it, it's always been that way. and the 3 pizza places i worked at the pizzas were the same price for pick up or delivery. they just charged $2 extra for delivery fee. nothing more. dominos only charges me $2.25 extra than i would normally pay. i dont know where you go, but you're getting jacked.

seriously though. $2 barely covers anything. it's usually common practice to tip $3 to $4 on top of that order. i usually tip $5 on top of my regular order.

This is completely wrong. I work for dominos pizza and here we charge 2.75 for delivery. The driver only gets a dollar per delivery and if they take double delivery 40 cents is subtracted from that.

It sucks when people don't tip and especially when the assume drivers get the full delivery charge. They don't.

it seems weird to me that you'd reward someone for being prejudiced toward you and treating you poorly.  I understand how tipping poorly just reinforces the thing you're trying to prevent, but still

I know. I know. I guess it's because I am in the service industry, and it is impossible to not play the judgement game in your own head. Regardless of if I think someone is going to tip me well or not, they still get the same A+ service, and many times I was completely wrong about them. The funny thing is, I get worse tips from the uppity up than the lower looking class more ofter than not. I am working on my warped mentality though. I would love to leave a little note in place of the larger tip stating how if they would have been nice, they would have gotten a hefty tip. I'm sure it will come to that someday.

I'm so glad I work in a state that requires a min wage BEFORE tipping is added in. I make $8 an hour plus tips. With that being said, while it's an option most folks don't do carry-out so I don't have to worry about. When people do it's always appreciated, but if they don't I won't hold it against them.

When people sit at my table all night drinking and eating and give $4 on a $200 tab... that I kinda get upset about.