Tipping for carryout

Hey guys and dolls. I just took on a 2nd job as a waitress. Pretty cool so far. Smaller family owned Italian restaurant/pizzeria. Kind of a hidden gem' in my opinion.

Anywho, I noticed at this place that I am yet to see someone tip when they pickup their carryout order. I have always tipped for my carryout, like 1 or 2 dollars. I mean, somebody took the time to wrap my shit up, put in some utensils or condiments, and they greeted me with a smile. If people routinely tip a buck for their Starbucks why not a buck for the fool behind the counter wrapping your meals up?

Just wanted the opinion of VC. Do you tip for your carryout? why or why not?

I haven't for carryout. I usually tip decently (15-20%) when I sit down in a restaurant. There's something about a person putting my food into a bag that doesn't really scream "tip them." For me anyway.

Also a lot of Subway's here have a tip option when you pay with debit or credit. I also don't tip for that either.

i've honestly never thought to tip for carryout. It doesn't seem different than ordering food at taco bell and them wrapping everything up and putting it in a bag. if the person wrapping up the food gets waiter/waitress wages and has to stay behind the counter rather than take tables, then that is bogus and another story.

i've honestly never thought to tip for carryout. It doesn't seem different than ordering food at taco bell and them wrapping everything up and putting it in a bag. if the person wrapping up the food gets waiter/waitress wages and has to stay behind the counter rather than take tables, then that is bogus and another story.

Yeah i get that mentality. Basically at my joint, whoever can get to the phone and take the order, better get to that damn phone and take it. So in between cutting bread, checking on my tables, bringing their food/whatever, if i hear the phone and my seated customers don't have an immediate need I am aware of, I'm taking that phone order and my name will be on the receipt. 

I can't justify tipping for carryout.  The amount of effort it takes to pack up an order is extremely minimal.  Also the places I get take out at the owner is the person taking care of carryout orders so I figure they are making enough off me to not worry about putting another dollar in their pockets.

When I eat at a restaurant I tip well.

On second thought I do on occasion put a dollar in the jar at Chipotle.  I'm heading off to pick up Indian food in a bit so I'll have to debate my tipping on carryout on my way there.

Okay obviously the US is completely different than Canada. Which in that case, it seems the service industry seems like an odd place to chose to work if you make less than $3 an hour.

Here your food is discounted and you pay the additional tip for the service. You are an asshole if you don't tip here.

Also, in America strippers don't dance for you just because you have free health insurance.