Tipping for carryout

are there any other kind of bartenders?

and yes, it works because you're a girl, unless the bartender is already use to you as a regular. 

Most people would probably assume it’s easier to get away with buttering up the male bartender if you’re a female customer. I'm just pointing out that it works on both sexes for me.

first off, I'm not reading all 7 pages of this....so if somebody has posted this already, feel free to tell me to fuckoff.

I work as a "Food Runner" during lunch shift 3 days a week at the venue I work for.  My responsibilities are Rolling All The Silverwear, Washing All Of The Dishes, Running Food, Making Sure Customers Are Happy, Barbacking (refilling the Ice/water/tea containers), Bussing Tables, and Getting To Go Orders Bagged Up.  I work my ass off, so if I'm taking my time to double-check a $40-$80 pick up order, bag it, and having it waiting for you....I definitely don't enjoy (and I know my bartender/waiter don't either) being stiffed on that order....from my perspective I'm actually doing more work by double checking each box and then bagging it than if I just dropped it off at your table, I realize I'm not bussing the table for that order, doing the dishes from that order, ect....but it still justifies some form of gratuity.

first off, I'm not reading all 7 pages of this....so if somebody has posted this already, feel free to tell me to fuckoff.

I work as a "Food Runner" during lunch shift 3 days a week at the venue I work for.  My responsibilities are Rolling All The Silverwear, Washing All Of The Dishes, Running Food, Making Sure Customers Are Happy, Barbacking (refilling the Ice/water/tea containers), Bussing Tables, and Getting To Go Orders Bagged Up.  I work my ass off, so if I'm taking my time to double-check a $40-$80 pick up order, bag it, and having it waiting for you....I definitely don't enjoy (and I know my bartender/waiter don't either) being stiffed on that order....from my perspective I'm actually doing more work by double checking each box and then bagging it than if I just dropped it off at your table, I realize I'm not bussing the table for that order, doing the dishes from that order, ect....but it still justifies some form of gratuity.

this is another example of why I hate tip-based systems: people who don't get tips feel slighted.  you should get paid what you deserve (whether that more or less than you currently get paid, I'm not sure), and waiters/waitresses should get paid what they deserve.  is your job easier or less important than waiting on tables?  I don't know, so why should I be the judge of whether or not you deserve more money?

(and just to be clear, I'm not criticizing you for wanting a tip.  it's only natural to want a tip when you see other people getting tips)

If there were no tip based system and everyone waa getting paid what they deserved, everything would be a lot higher at your local reataurant or bar. Then people would b bitching about the prices of alcohol or food at local establishments.

You already have enough people feeling entitled about other things, but only then it would b the price of food or alcohol.

harryq.....completely agree dude, i would be willing to bet 99% of the money i have to my name to say that not a single customer/patron that comes in and orders Take-Out/Pick-Up/Dine-In knows what all my job entails or has any clue what I make per hour.

to Mike, dude, if everything was equally priced (even if it were higher across the board, world-wide) nobody would know the difference, but that would be a perfect society where nobody knew how shit rolls now.

in all honesty, the lack of consistency is my biggest gripe with working in the Service Industry, i work the same hours every single week.....sometimes i go home with $190 cash in hand, other times i go home with $15 cash in hand....same shift, different week.  I can only assume that in larger cities things might be a big more consistant.....I dunno, probably a silly assumption though

I mean, since Christmas Day, I've had a total of 2 non-consecutive days off.....and I'm just now kind of keeping a tiny bit of money in the bank....so when we get stiffed on these larger pick-up orders it really does fuck with me hard.  We've messed with the idea of just slapping on a Carry-Out/Pick-Up charge just so we don't get screwed as often.  Our regulars that do pick-up usually only have like 1 entree and maybe an appetizer (a total of maybe $10) always tip, it's when we get like $40+ orders where the order eats up our entire grill space or our entire fryer so Dine-In orders get slightly backed up, I work my ass off trying to double check everything before it's bagged and goes out, and then we get straight shafted on it, fuggin sucks.   Maybe other establishments the cashier or whomever gets payed a decent amount or gets a tip out from all the waiters or something along those lines, but where I work it's one bartender (who does the order taking) and one food runner for the entire place, so if we get slammed I get spread thin quickly....and to have those days where it's jam-packed or we had huge To Go orders and i walk away with like $20 it gets frustrating.

Long-Story short, I always tipped for Pick-Up/Carry-Out orders before I worked Service Industry, and I sure as fuck tip for Pick-Up/Carry-Out orders now

what did the leper say to the prostitute? keep the tip. ^_^

serously tho. i tip anywhere, anyone, anytime. if its below freezing out and they are outdoors, bigger tip. if she tells me to have a great day, big tip. if she tell me she wants to do her laundry on my abs, HUGE tip.

i think we can at least all agree that if you don't tip and you order delivery, you literally deserve to be drug outside by your hair and beaten in the face with a rusty spiked bat.

seeing my fellow bike delivery people at my other job getting stiffed blows my mind.....these guys and girls are delivering your food to you by pedal power, they pay bills/rent with that money.....most of them choose to deliver on bike because they couldn't afford to continue working delivering in a motor vehicle because of how often they get stiffed, No compensation for gas, No delivery fee, just $5.25/hour to deliver.....anybody old enough to order a delivery knows good and fucking well that the person deliverying their food doesn't make minimum wage.....what a fucked up system we live in, I swear service industry people are the only people that keep service industry people alive

your story reminds of me of something birdwell.. saturday we made a $700 order for a school and the women tipped us $75 only to come back 2 hours later and ask for it back. her boss made her come back and get it because she wasn't paying a tip at all. i felt soooo bad for the lady that had to do it. she was so embarrassed. 

but seriously, we gave her (the boss) a discount and she has the nerve to ask for the whole tip back? some balls on that lady. i hope she gets a flat in traffic on the way to work and doesn't have a spare. 

i think we can at least all agree that if you don't tip and you order delivery, you literally deserve to be drug outside by your hair and beaten in the face with a rusty spiked bat.

seeing my fellow bike delivery people at my other job getting stiffed blows my mind.....these guys and girls are delivering your food to you by pedal power, they pay bills/rent with that money.....most of them choose to deliver on bike because they couldn't afford to continue working delivering in a motor vehicle because of how often they get stiffed, No compensation for gas, No delivery fee, just $5.25/hour to deliver.....anybody old enough to order a delivery knows good and fucking well that the person deliverying their food doesn't make minimum wage.....what a fucked up system we live in, I swear service industry people are the only people that keep service industry people alive

Seriously. Every time I have a new job experience in retail, I learn how to treat other retail employees a little better :)

your story reminds of me of something birdwell.. saturday we made a $700 order for a school and the women tipped us $75 only to come back 2 hours later and ask for it back. her boss made her come back and get it because she wasn't paying a tip at all. i felt soooo bad for the lady that had to do it. she was so embarrassed. 

but seriously, we gave her (the boss) a discount and she has the nerve to ask for the whole tip back? some balls on that lady. i hope she gets a flat in traffic on the way to work and doesn't have a spare. 

Mike, Jimmy John's tuscaloosa.....I helped make a $2,000+ catering/delivery order that was tax-exempt, at the end of my shift no less, helped make the delivery of it as well(which took 3 different vehicles) and we got stiffed on it.....that one order took up 2 and a half hours of my and 3 other peoples day (an hour after I was supposed to be off no-less), all four of us made it our mission to make sure every part of the order was done correctly and on-time, delivered on time, biggest slap-in-the-face shafting I've ever received......we didn't expect a full 20% on it or anything, but figured we'd be taken care of ya know.  Knowing that the guy signing the receipt was lieing to us, I called him out....it was for the University of Alabama and as many orders that we made for them, we found out that they are authorized (whomever is signing) to tip up to 20% of the sale.....so when the jackass said, "yeah, I don't think I'm authorized to leave a tip, sorry guys" with a giant shit-eating grin on his face I immediately retorted with "my shift ended an hour ago, and I'm 100% positive that you are indeed authorized as the signee of this transaction to leave UP TO a maximum of 20%, Sir".....dude literally handed me the receipt, same smile and said, "Thanks." ....turned around and walked off, the four of us literally stood for a solid 30 seconds thinking he was joking and was going to turn back around ....one of the girls started crying as soon as we got outside....it was pretty fucking crazy.    Even with that, and all my years working the industry, never had anybody come back and ask for their tip back.....that shit is absolutely bonkers man.

what a shitty person.

yeah, i forgot to mention it was tax exempt too. 10% off, no tax, and the bitch had some other lower level employee come back and get the tip. what a shitty person.

but once we made a $2000 dollar order for a school (literally took 5 of us to make 400 box lunches plus potato salad. and handmade potato salad for 400 people is not fuckin' easy. dude tipped us on a cc receipt, said thanks, and turned the receipt over and told the cashier don't turn it over till we leave. as soon as we left, we got a $250 tip. i was so fucked stoked. we all drank it away in a few hours after work. doh!!

I will get guilted into tipping for carryout orders only if i need up waiting and chit chatting with the worker/server/waiter...  Typically ill toss them a buck or two, or just round the total up to the nearest dollar.

I feel like the are not really serving you, and the most places i go for To-Go orders are handled by hostess or front desk type girls and not waiters/waitresses.

As for haircuts, I'm usually in for 10 bucks.  But i also enjoy bullshitting with my hair guy as we both collect punk rock records and go to shows, so 10-15 bucks is fine with me.  I have also tipped him a few times with a couple 7"s before, which is unusual for most.

im a bartender, and when im solo on wed/thurs/sun nights im not only doing my 11 seats on the bar, but also my service bar providing drinks for all the cocktail tables and dining room tables for the entire restaurant  so when it comes to take out, im the one that has to stop whatever im doing and take the order from the host, put it into the computer, time it right so to make sure its fresh when they arrive, check on it to make sure its ready and all correct, print the check out when people come get the food, bag it up, ask if they need cutlery (which 99% of the time people look at me and go "HUH?", and then i have to say silverware, even though its plastic), and this all takes time while my service tickets are piling up and my bar guests need attendance to. not to mention ill have about 5-7 to go orders waiting at one time. 

so.needless to say..a one or two dollar tip is always appreciated. specially when the check is like over $100. it irks me so much when they leave me nothing on those and ive just taken the time to get them their giant order and been nothing but polite and patient, even though i have 8 other things i need to be doing at that exact moment.