Tipping for carryout

this is different because you presumably have a specific guy/girl who always does your hair (unless you just do something simple).  in that case, you should tip well if you want to develop a good relationship with your stylist

yea I just didn't want to start a new thread for it. I tipped like 25% the first time and now I feel like I've set a standard and can't change it with my chick. 

Then again I cut my hair like once every 3 months.

I need a haircut so goddamn bad, and an acquaintance of mine just started working at the place where I get my hairs cut. It's awkward not to have her do it (I'm sure she's great anyway), but it's awkward to think about how I'm gonna tip this broad. Silent judgment awaits!

For sit-down, I tip 20% for good service. If it's real good, more. Takeout, nada. Delivery, the driver gets something.

Ok same question but for Chinese buffets.

I have a real hard time tipping at buffets, 'cause honestly, if all they do is retrieve your plate, I can fucking do that myself. If they do more, like refill drinks, maybe get a damn sling for the baby's carseat, sure, I'll tip no problem, and tip as if it were a regular sit-down place. But I have a problem with tipping at buffets when all they do is take my empty plates (and utensils that I'm still fucking using) because, in theory, I can clean up after myself.

when you think about it, sure some people get paid hourly. whether it be the cashier, or the take out person who just takes orders and hands you your food. but if you were in their shoes, wouldn't it be nice walking home with at least a few bucks for a six pack, gas, or a pack of smokes every night. or at least enough to buy fast food to get you through your next day. not everyone who makes minimum wage has the $$$ to afford much of anything nowadays. remember that next time you decide whether or not tipping (be it etiquette or not) would make someone's day a bit brighter. even if it was .50 cents or $1. from someone who use to do that and never got tipped, $10 over a shift where i wasn't expecting anything is always a good night. a kind gesture goes a long way to some people.

Ok same question but for Chinese buffets.

I do if it's one where they don't have a drink dispenser, so they're always refilling your drinks and taking plates.  As long as the service is good, I will.

I agree about the bag stuffing though, that doesn't really justify the tip, especially when the cooks do the majority of the work anyway.

saw that a few days ago. FUCK THAT LADY for being a shitty person who uses her false god to not pay for a tip. not to mention getting heated  and demanding the waitress/waitstaff be fired. i can understand the management having to repremand the girl for putting her private info online (that's why people block out names), but firing. that lady is only using the "im sorry" act because she got caught. 

I do if it's one where they don't have a drink dispenser, so they're always refilling your drinks and taking plates.  As long as the service is good, I will.

I agree about the bag stuffing though, that doesn't really justify the tip, especially when the cooks do the majority of the work anyway.

the restaurant i use to work at would keep the tips for a month and at the end would divide it amongst the staff (hostess's/cooks/busboys/a few servers) who got paid hourly. we'd walk out with like $200 a month extra. it was awesome. it's easy to assume that the money doesn't go to the cooks, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's true.

the restaurant i use to work at would keep the tips for a month and at the end would divide it amongst the staff (hostess's/cooks/busboys/a few servers) who got paid hourly. we'd walk out with like $200 a month extra. it was awesome. it's easy to assume that the money doesn't go to the cooks, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's true.

That's very awesome of them.  Good to know!

Last night when I picked up my Indian food I left a tip thanks to this thread. 

As a peculiar aside, it was weird when I tried paying with cash they were going to have to get a manager to handle a cash transaction.  Never ran into that before, where cash payment needed management approval.  I paid on credit to not have to deal with an added wait, just found it odd.

There is a growing number of people who will refuse to patronize certain restaurants because of how poorly they treat employees and how few benefits they get. I found a guide online that shows which ones pay living wages and provide vacation days/PTO and insurance.

it makes me think of how significantly different this country would be if we all made a conscious choice to try to use businesses that compensate workers with the kind of benefits that used to be fairly common.

Last night when I picked up my Indian food I left a tip thanks to this thread. 

As a peculiar aside, it was weird when I tried paying with cash they were going to have to get a manager to handle a cash transaction.  Never ran into that before, where cash payment needed management approval.  I paid on credit to not have to deal with an added wait, just found it odd.

we do this at the place i work. only managers handle cash. must be a small restaurant thing i haven't learned about yet.

and what if i asked you guys to consider tipping for carryout at just non corporate restaurants?

as someone above me pointed out, some places DO split all the tips between everyone in some capacity. And I don't work with any bussers/carryout people. Yes, it will take me 5 minutes to give you your carryout order. 5 minutes is a lot of time for me. After I give seated guests their food, I need to make sure I come back in 2 minutes after they've tasted it to make sure they like it. I have to make sure table 5 doesn't have dirty appetizers dishes in front of them. Is table 2 done?They look kind of done... i better go to the reg and print their check. Oh shit, table 7 has been waiting for me to pick up their credit card for far too long. fuck. oh ok, i have table 8 now too. better get their bread.... FUCK THERES NO MORE BREAD. Gotta Cut bread/toast bread. OH HELL TABLE 3 IS COVEREDDDDD IN DISHES. SHIT! TABLE 5'S FOOD IS READY. Did the guy get the Fettucine or did his wife uhh... damn... OH SOME DUDE FROM VC IS HERE TO PICK UP HIS CARRYOUT. MY SEATED GUESTS WILL HAVE TO DEAL WITH BEING NEGLECTED FOR A LITTLE WHILE....

to be fair... in this scenario someone had called out and it was only my 3rd night... ;)

I'm just saying.