What's your latest purchase?

Just ordered a Grado Green and mirrored alignment protractor. I've only ever had AT carts, so I'm interested in trying something else. Also the 8MZ stylus upgrade (when it needs it) seems like a really damn good deal.

Edit: Also grabbed a Zerodust.

Just a heads up, my experience with Grado carts is they REALLY need to be aligned perfectly to sound right. But when they do, they're fantastic. So don't be afraid to get it aligned using your protractor and still mess around a bit to see if you can't get a better sound if you aren't as impressed as you expected. They're finicky little things. 

Just a heads up, my experience with Grado carts is they REALLY need to be aligned perfectly to sound right. But when they do, they're fantastic. So don't be afraid to get it aligned using your protractor and still mess around a bit to see if you can't get a better sound if you aren't as impressed as you expected. They're finicky little things. 

Will do. It's the main reason I'm taking it in to have them show me the best way to go about tweaking it and installing it. My hands are super shaky when I do it, so it's better to have another set of hands/eyes until I get used to it. I think I shake since I'm too worried about damaging it.

Grado's have a bad reputation for IGD which is completely untrue, they have a sweet spot and it's just that people don't take the time to set them up properly, as xxsilence says get it right and they are worth the work.

I grabbed a mirror alignment protractor, so hopefully that will help me a lot. My main problem when aligning carts, is getting them square, I'm bad at it for some reason. As you guys said, I'll align it with the protractor and then tweak it as I listen. Thanks for the tip on it, I'm excited to hear a new style of cart.

I'd have to agree completely. I have a Grado Gold, and I installed it earlier this year on my old JVC DD turntable, and basically spent three months tweaking it. Sounded good, but never incredible. Bought a Carbon Esprit and had some trouble transferring the cart, so went to my local hifi store, and they installed it perfectly. Honestly, huge difference. Pretty incredible clarity, especially at louder volumes (I find the Grado is a bit underwhelming at low volumes - the brightness of the 2M Red made it sound a little clearer at quiet volumes), but now that the cartridge is properly aligned, it sounds pretty amazing.

My Grado Green, protractor and zerodust all showed up today. Can't wait to get off work and attempt to align it, or just give up before I try and take it to the shop on Saturday and have them do it.

Nice, let me know if you get it figured out yourself/find it difficult. I'm thinking of upgrading my cart but the nearest shop is pretty far so I'm a bit hesitant. 

I got my stuff today, but I think I'm going to wait until Saturday to install the Grado when I have more time. Messed with the alignment of the 120E a bit, and with the new protractor it looks really spot on now (was really really close before). Dipped the stylus on the zerodust and now it sounds a lot better. 

22390787845_6cfd669b48_b.jpg

went to a resale shop and saw these at 40 (bottom pair). Asked what brand they were and the guy at the shop didn't know. 

He let me have them for 20 and said if they sucked he'd refund my money. They were super heavy (good sign)

and set them up, They sound awesome! For my ears anyway. If you guys know what brand these are, please let me know.

went to a resale shop and saw these at 40 (bottom pair). Asked what brand they were and the guy at the shop didn't know. 

He let me have them for 20 and said if they sucked he'd refund my money. They were super heavy (good sign)

and set them up, They sound awesome! For my ears anyway. If you guys know what brand these are, please let me know.

Is there nothing at all written on the back? A picture of the back might help

They look large Japanese manufacturer but that's just a guess

• 3 weeks later...

1444237399327.jpg

Just got one of these crazy little DAC/amps. I find myself not utilizing my desktop DAC often enough for headphone use. With most of my headphone listening being done through an iPhone, I really hope this will be a worthy investment.

How much did that run you?