What's your latest purchase?

How is a Marantz 2225 compared to newer stuff? Is it a decent amp? I have never used anything (except for about a month) else and the other one was an old piece of shit. How does it compare to newer recievers?

Apples/Oranges.  A new Marantz amp is likely designed with the "Marantz sound" in mind, but they go about it in a different way.  It's not right or wrong, it's just different.

I have always felt that vintage is a rich man's game.  Even if a vintage piece is functional, it very likely is not operating at factory spec level because its original components have a shelf life that probably expired 10-15 years ago.  And then if you want to ensure it's up to snuff, you're looking at significant $$$.

I have always felt that vintage is a rich man's game.  Even if a vintage piece is functional, it very likely is not operating at factory spec level because its original components have a shelf life that probably expired 10-15 years ago.  And then if you want to ensure it's up to snuff, you're looking at significant $$$.

That or those of us who took the right educational path and know how to drive an oscilloscope and wield a soldering iron

Apples/Oranges.  A new Marantz amp is likely designed with the "Marantz sound" in mind, but they go about it in a different way.  It's not right or wrong, it's just different.

I paid like $250 for this and it had already been completely restored/has sexy blue lights on black

I just bought a pair of KEF R300's off Audiogon.  I'm hoping that they have everything I like about my LS50's with more power and bass punch.  

I would expect a bit more in the lower mids, the R300 is a little less of a nearfield monitor than the LS50, not sure whether you have your speakers set up like nearfield monitors but you might need to get slightly further away with the R300's

I would expect a bit more in the lower mids, the R300 is a little less of a nearfield monitor than the LS50, not sure whether you have your speakers set up like nearfield monitors but you might need to get slightly further away with the R300's

That's why I bought the R300's.  My room is too large and my listening position is too far back.  When I compared the two at a local shop, I was torn between the two and went with the LS50's hoping (but not sure) they would work in my larger room.  The R300's with the larger, dedicated woofer and 3 dB more sensitivity should fill the room a bit better than the LS50's.

That's why I bought the R300's.  My room is too large and my listening position is too far back.  When I compared the two at a local shop, I was torn between the two and went with the LS50's hoping (but not sure) they would work in my larger room.  The R300's with the larger, dedicated woofer and 3 dB more sensitivity should fill the room a bit better than the LS50's.

Makes a bit more sense now, the R300 should be more suitable as the LS50 is a proper nearfield monitor and Kef even market it using the LS3/5a as an example, I use a pair of LS3/5a's as nearfields on my computer system and they are superb but as soon as you get any distance from them they loose the lows and mids pretty quick which is the problem with any speaker of this type, they are designed to be enormous headphones basically with a superb soundstage provided you are right in the middle of it.

Exciting thread!

I recently decided it was time for a change and wanted to up my setup. Set up a Dragonfly to up the sound of my digital files, which I use most at work when I am away from my turntable.

I also picked up an Onkyo CP-1050 and a Bellari VP130 Tube-driven Phono Preamp from the Turntable Lab in my area. Wanted to take a step or two up.

Exciting thread!

I recently decided it was time for a change and wanted to up my setup. Set up a Dragonfly to up the sound of my digital files, which I use most at work when I am away from my turntable.

I also picked up an Onkyo CP-1050 and a Bellari VP130 Tube-driven Phono Preamp from the Turntable Lab in my area. Wanted to take a step or two up.

Nice choice on the dragonfly, I use mine a lot with my computer and even use a hack to use it with my iPhone for long trips or when I don't mind bringing the extra equipment around with me.

I recently purchased a pair of AQ nighthawk headphones and they finally arrived today. Listening to mostly digital (through dragonfly), although I just threw the first vinyl record on through them and I can say definitively this is the best pair of headphones I've ever owned. I'm not a big headphone guy, heard some higher end (and higher priced) headphones before but never been as impressed as I am with these. For now I'm pretty much loving them.

21852269538_fe6cd9c435_b.jpg

Nice choice on the dragonfly, I use mine a lot with my computer and even use a hack to use it with my iPhone for long trips or when I don't mind bringing the extra equipment around with me.

I recently purchased a pair of AQ nighthawk headphones and they finally arrived today. Listening to mostly digital (through dragonfly), although I just threw the first vinyl record on through them and I can say definitively this is the best pair of headphones I've ever owned. I'm not a big headphone guy, heard some higher end (and higher priced) headphones before but never been as impressed as I am with these. For now I'm pretty much loving them.

Those headphones look great. Very nice. I agree. I haven't really been a headphone person, either. I ended up with a set from Grado and enjoy them a lot, which changed my stance on headphones. I guess, just like anything else, we need to find what works for us.

Now I need to look into this Dragonfly/iPhone setup you mentioned... ;)