What's your latest purchase?

In a moment of weakness I bought a B&O cd player.

I'm not and never have been a fan of B&O but for purely aesthetic reasons I've built up an 80's system for an extension I'm having built on the back of the house (priorities in the correct order, hifi sorted before construction commences.) and you do have to bask in it's Scandinavian grooviness

Edit

I did get a little worried when I kept getting the answer "Why?" each time I made the statement "I'm looking for a B&O CD player" though

Does it play regular CDs or some proprietary format?

I'll know a bit more once the Yaqin arrives in the mail, but the cds I've been playing have sounded spectacular! My speakers were my best piece of kit before, but not they're ranking last. The circle begins anew.

I've had a Yaqin phono stage for years and it's never missed a beat, I've changed the valves but then I always do as I don't like the Chinese ones but as a phono stage and a pre amp it's a nice sounding thing.

I think mines still current (MS-12B) although it has to be 10 years old now but it is effectively a pre amp with a built in phono stage that can be used as a stand alone phono stage

I still have to get one set up again, surround sound is fun. I have my leftover stuff in the living room for the TV; it's a pretty big space and sounds pretty bad at the moment because my mains are small and I don't have any surrounds. I want to build four of these plus a center. Same drivers as my towers so they should sound really good. The main challenge will be keeping the grublets from smashing those tweeters.

I got a ridiculous deal on a demo model. Like, half off. Couldn't say no.

How's it sound? liking it?

I heard one of those Onkyo's in Richer sounds the other day and to be fair to it they didn't have it set up well but it didn't manage to dispel my Onkyo preconceptions. The UK ones get a nice little tuned for UK sticker on them in a little Union Jack like Sony used to do but I'm not sure what they will have done to the sound to warrant this accolade.

I bought some Advent Laureate speakers recently for next to nothing that needed the drivers re foaming.

I'd never heard any Advent speakers as they're not a brand you see in the UK very often although I understand these are Jensen rather than Advent but I read up on them and it seems they are quite well liked with the driver foam being a normal problem for them and that everything I read advised to try and keep the original drivers if possible.

I've never re foamed a speaker cone so armed with a re-foam kit, some glue, a scalpel and a table I set to work.

It went surprisingly well and after letting them dry overnight I put them in this morning and was pleasantly surprised, they're not the last word in hi fidelity but very pleasing on the ear and I can see why people like them, they are getting better and better as the morning goes in as I guess the drivers are settling in.

DSCF1001_zpszow63clt.jpg

DSCF1001_02_zpsgae3bowf.jpg

How's it sound? liking it?

I heard one of those Onkyo's in Richer sounds the other day and to be fair to it they didn't have it set up well but it didn't manage to dispel my Onkyo preconceptions. The UK ones get a nice little tuned for UK sticker on them in a little Union Jack like Sony used to do but I'm not sure what they will have done to the sound to warrant this accolade.

Hasn't arrived yet. Sadly won't get here til Weds/Thurs, and I'm traveling for work Thurs-Fri. Won't get to play with it until Saturday.