Transit - Young New England

You people claiming the production is lacking sure could use some actual evidence instead of just saying it sucks. It's actually pretty great. Every instrument/vocal fits neatly in its sound space, it is all mixed well, the vocals are neither too high nor too low... it comes off like a bunch of you are just saying that for the sake of saying it. Not saying that you are, but provide some actual evidence as opposed to just word-vomiting whatever you think sounds harsh.

You people claiming the production is lacking sure could use some actual evidence instead of just saying it sucks. It's actually pretty great. Every instrument/vocal fits neatly in its sound space, it is all mixed well, the vocals are neither too high nor too low... it comes off like a bunch of you are just saying that for the sake of saying it. Not saying that you are, but provide some actual evidence as opposed to just word-vomiting whatever you think sounds harsh.

Thank you

Couldn't have said it better myself. I think that's why this debate is still going on.

That's why I thought they had a bum copy...

L&F was an extremely slick record that felt so polished throughout. I know they were trying for a rougher sound on this one but it didn't work, especially with the songs.

Additionally, the vocal production is just off. He sounds different, and he's out of key at points that just make it feel extremely uncomfortable. That's a production thing, not a vocal thing.

L&F was an extremely slick record that felt so polished throughout. I know they were trying for a rougher sound on this one but it didn't work, especially with the songs.

Additionally, the vocal production is just off. He sounds different, and he's out of key at points that just make it feel extremely uncomfortable. That's a production thing, not a vocal thing.

People keep saying Joe is out of key? Pinpoint some EXACT spots down to the second and I will listen for them. Do you really think the producer(s) and other band members wouldn't notice a vocal take was out of key and go back to fix it?

People keep saying Joe is out of key? Pinpoint some EXACT spots down to the second and I will listen for them. Do you really think the producer(s) and other band members wouldn't notice a vocal take was out of key and go back to fix it?

It's not like people haven't been flat/sharp or super pitchy in general on recordings before. 

maybe out of key isn't the right word rather than "sounds bad" and "uncomfortable to the ears"

maybe that's what they wanted. i don't like it one bit.

why are you white knighting for this album so hard. it's like you won't let any criticism get by. and i'm definitely giving valid points here.

You have yet to mention specifics. "It doesn't sound right" is a personal preference. If they were trying for a rough sound, this is a piss poor attempt at "raw." A specific would be something like "the bass sounds too muddy" or that "a high pass filter should have been implemented.

Also, just to clarify, the way Joe's vocals sound (minus the slight telephone-ish filter placed on the vocals, which has been on everything since that first Rise 7") are strictly his own inflection and intonation. There are no amount of production tricks to alter someone's voice like that.

You have yet to mention specifics. "It doesn't sound right" is a personal preference. If they were trying for a rough sound, this is a piss poor attempt at "raw." A specific would be something like "the bass sounds too muddy" or that "a high pass filter should have been implemented.

Also, just to clarify, the way Joe's vocals sound (minus the slight telephone-ish filter placed on the vocals, which has been on everything since that first Rise 7") are strictly his own inflection and intonation. There are no amount of production tricks to alter someone's voice like that.

because personal preferences don't matter when it comes to productional tactics RIGHT

stop riding the band's dick, i love them and went to their show and have their records and even wore their shirt TODAY but i'm still not loving this record, plus giving personal reasons why it's mediocre, so please stop white knighting and looking like an asshole.

also i'm drunk so this post is harsher than it should be

Honestly it's an opinion thing. I don't find the album that awful. I can also see why many wouldn't like it.

The vinyl variants look interesting. As much as I think the album artwork suits the title in many ways it really is too bad the sleeve doesn't look like this (Sidenote: I'm not pro or against using the term "white knighting" and this post is in no way supporting or encouraging people being called white knights. That is unless they work at Medieval Times and it is their job. On the other hand I don't really care so I'm not discouraging it.):

white_knight_binder-p127893729997944295b

because personal preferences don't matter when it comes to productional tactics RIGHT

stop riding the band's dick, i love them and went to their show and have their records and even wore their shirt TODAY but i'm still not loving this record, plus giving personal reasons why it's mediocre, so please stop white knighting and looking like an asshole.

also i'm drunk so this post is harsher than it should be

See, all I'm trying to do is inspire some meaningful conversation in this thread if it's going to continue occupying a top spot on the board. I'm not "white knighting" this record, I'm just interested in hearing educated opinions rather than listening to the high school mentality of "hating production 'cause it sucks" or "that song sucks 'cause it's like, sucky" and such. Those are indeed valid as your opinion, but I was asking for more depth in your reasoning (as well as the countless others who hate it "'cause it sucks") in hopes of having an actual conversation about the record. I will now kindly back on out of this discussion because it appears that any hopes of holding a mature conversation have definitely been in vain.

I think people were perfectly content with the sound on KTTY. This is such a stretch from that sound that it's hard for some to get past that. If you look at this album with a new light, perhaps even as a  band you're hearing for the first time, you might get a different impression. I'm still on the fence about this. I haven't given it enough listening time, and I'm the last person to be in a position to analyze pitch and production, but so far it's a fun listen. 

See, all I'm trying to do is inspire some meaningful conversation in this thread if it's going to continue occupying a top spot on the board. I'm not "white knighting" this record, I'm just interested in hearing educated opinions rather than listening to the high school mentality of "hating production 'cause it sucks" or "that song sucks 'cause it's like, sucky" and such. Those are indeed valid as your opinion, but I was asking for more depth in your reasoning (as well as the countless others who hate it "'cause it sucks") in hopes of having an actual conversation about the record. I will now kindly back on out of this discussion because it appears that any hopes of holding a mature conversation have definitely been in vain.

Again, thank you. 

Sorry about that. As I said, was drunk, and spoke a little agitated, hah. I don't know the technical aspect of music much at all other than basics from playing in school band for 7 years, but I know what personally sounds good or not. I went into as much depth as I possibly can, it feels like people are being way too picky here. I've given songs and examples of what I feel isn't good, and if you expect for me to go even deeper to explain, that just can't happen. There's no more explanation than I already did.

That quite a cop out answer but nobody is saying your opinion is wrong. You are just so strongly against the album but people just wanted to know why. If you have such a strong opinion the question should have been easy. I mean I guess if "this sucks" or "this sounds bad" is depth enough for you then thats fine I guess. Most people have a bit more specific reasons for liking or disliking something. Regardless of whether I love or hate and album I have probably listened to it enough time to say why. You say you don't like how is vocals sound which is a step in the right direction so guess we can leave it at that. Nobody here is trying to change your opinion. 

That quite a cop out answer but nobody is saying your opinion is wrong. You are just so strongly against the album but people just wanted to know why. If you have such a strong opinion the question should have been easy. I mean I guess if "this sucks" or "this sounds bad" is depth enough for you then thats fine I guess. Most people have a bit more specific reasons for liking or disliking something. Regardless of whether I love or hate and album I have probably listened to it enough time to say why. You say you don't like how is vocals sound which is a step in the right direction so guess we can leave it at that. Nobody here is trying to change your opinion. 

responses like that are exactly the reason why this thread is bothering so much. it's almost like people need be able to explain why or why not they like everything they do.

I think people were perfectly content with the sound on KTTY. This is such a stretch from that sound that it's hard for some to get past that. If you look at this album with a new light, perhaps even as a  band hearing for the first time, you might get a different impression. I'm still on the fence about this. I haven't given it enough listening time, and I'm the last person to be in a position to analyze pitch and production, but so far it's a fun listen. 

but KTTY wasn't even that good, hahaha.

responses like that are exactly the reason why this thread is bothering so much. it's almost like people need be able to explain why or why not they like everything they do.

Well I mean it is an open forum and you were asked a question. Instead of trying to walk around the question talking about the production you could've just said the album just did not do it for you. Like I said nobody is trying to change your opinion. They would love to get a good understanding of what makes the album good and what makes the album bad. You don't have to comment and if you do then be ready for a discussion. As simple as that. Nothing else needs to be said. By now people understand why you don't like even if they were hoping for a less defensive conversation so drop it.