serious question: how does an artist end up playing SXSW? like, do you just apply or do you pay money or what?

you apply  and then are asked if you get accepted. in some cases you are just asked if the band is big enough and they want you there. sometimes the label applies for you in hopes of a label nite show.

you apply  and then are asked if you get accepted. in some cases you are just asked if the band is big enough and they want you there. sometimes the label applies for you in hopes of a label nite show.

okay so that's for like the showcases? i know a guy who says he's playing sxsw and he has one "demo" on youtube and another vid of himself badly rapping some drake, i think.

okay so that's for like the showcases? i know a guy who says he's playing sxsw and he has one "demo" on youtube and another vid of himself badly rapping some drake, i think.

a lot of people hype themselves up and say they are playing sxsw, but that just means they are playing some non-affiliated gig during that week. my friend does that every year trying to hype himself up to people. most musicians, like my friend, truly think they are something original when 98% of the time they suffer from delusions of grandeur. its quite interesting.

usually when people tell me they got a south-by gig, i ask them if they are playing at night, and 99% of the time, its a day show at a coffee house or a restaurant. which can be filled in by anyone (good or bad).

best bands i hear every year are those damn street musicians. or at least the people who come to just play and can't get a gig in a club last minute so they improvise and do it on the street. heard some amazing musicians who played that i couldn't help but stop and listen.

a lot of people hype themselves up and say they are playing sxsw, but that just means they are playing some non-affiliated gig during that week. my friend does that every year trying to hype himself up to people. most musicians, like my friend, truly think they are something original when 98% of the time they suffer from delusions of grandeur. its quite interesting.

usually when people tell me they got a south-by gig, i ask them if they are playing at night, and 99% of the time, its a day show at a coffee house or a restaurant. which can be filled in by anyone (good or bad).

Yeah, anyone can play an unofficial showcase. You can even host an unofficial showcase and book your own band in, literally, someone's garage. (I saw Nicholas Jaar perform in a someone's garage last year, but that was phenomenal!) I'm not exaggerating when I say that any last space a band can possibly fit in, there probably will be a band booked to play it (whether they're terrible or not). So, when someone says they're playing SXSW, unless it's an official showcase, it can mean that they're potentially playing to people getting their hair done in some salon.  

what happened to Mess With Texas??

I haven't heard anything about Mess with Texas yet.  Is it me or is it kind of slow going this year?  I realize most shows aren't announced until the week prior or the week of, but come on we're 3 weeks away.  I feel that there should have been more exciting showcases announced already.    

I haven't heard anything about Mess with Texas yet.  Is it me or is it kind of slow going this year?  I realize most shows aren't announced until the week prior or the week of, but come on we're 3 weeks away.  I feel that there should have been more exciting showcases announced already.    

agreed

best bands i hear every year are those damn street musicians. or at least the people who come to just play and can't get a gig in a club last minute so they improvise and do it on the street. heard some amazing musicians who played that i couldn't help but stop and listen.

Yeah, anyone can play an unofficial showcase. You can even host an unofficial showcase and book your own band in, literally, someone's garage. (I saw Nicholas Jaar perform in a someone's garage last year, but that was phenomenal!) I'm not exaggerating when I say that any last space a band can possibly fit in, there probably will be a band booked to play it (whether they're terrible or not). So, when someone says they're playing SXSW, unless it's an official showcase, it can mean that they're potentially playing to people getting their hair done in some salon.  

okay very, very good to know. thanks gents!