Mp3 Player

qwrm38

I have/had a 5th gen Ipod classic 30 GB.

After a few years of great use it's finally biting the dust.. 

I can use it for an hour or so before it freezes and I have to reset it and is just a hassle.

I would like to retire it and purchase a new player.

I'm naturally inclined to just get a new classic, but I am shopping around for some alternatives.

Have you guys had any other good experiences with other players besides the ever so popular ipods?

Thanks for the input in advance.

I would push you to get a Cowan because they are often referred to as the best sounding Mp3 player on a budget, but their new products are trying to add a bit too much. I would recommend you snoop around at some older generation Cowan's, or if you want to be super cheap get anything Sansa and add a micro SD card for space.

I would push you to get a Cowan because they are often referred to as the best sounding Mp3 player on a budget, but their new products are trying to add a bit too much. I would recommend you snoop around at some older generation Cowan's, or if you want to be super cheap get anything Sansa and add a micro SD card for space.

http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/product_mp3_main.php - are these the ones you are talking about? which would be considered 2nd gen?

Have you tried restoring your iPod to factory settings? Assuming you are able to reupload your songs once you do so.

Yes I have- it has gotten to the point to where the screen is going red and yellow and doing all sorts of funky stuff when I scroll the wheel .. /:

Yeah. Zunes are the shit. I have two that I got second hand from a friend that both still work perfectly. One is a first or second gen 30 gig, the other is a 4th or 5th maybe 120 gig. They don't make them anymore so you'll have to find one used and I don't think they offer any sort of support anymore either, but you shouldn't need it. Highly recommended if you can find one on the cheap. I'd go with one without the swipe button since I've always found it kind of finicky. I prefer the strictly pressure sensitive ones.

sounds like the motherboard is going out in your classic, if you're tech savvy you can replace it yourself at the cost of purchasing a new motherboard; opening the classic is kind of a bitch though.  just go ipod again, you probably already have everything set up for your last one. go with the convenience of something that you already know.

my old school 30gig classic went that way a while back too.  I still use it, just in my car plugged in all the time.  And for on the go I replaced it with a 160gig classic.  Those fancier mp3 players are cool and all, but for functionality you cannot beat an ipod classic.  It plays mp3s and syncs with itunes.  end of story.

my old school 30gig classic went that way a while back too. I still use it, just in my car plugged in all the time. And for on the go I replaced it with a 160gig classic. Those fancier mp3 players are cool and all, but for functionality you cannot beat an ipod classic. It plays mp3s and syncs with itunes. end of story.

I went through at least 3 iPod Classics, all of which had hardware failures within 5-6 years. Solid state memory is the way to go on 2013! I'd argue an iPod Touch is more reliable than a disc-based Classic these days.