Game of Thrones: Season 3

Was anybody else disturbed reading the books and thinking about the ages these characters are in the books and what they're doing at those ages (Dany getting plowed by Khal every night at 13)?

I'm glad HBO made the choice of using older actors. Clearly it would have been too controversial for them not too age the characters for television, but no one seems to mind on the literature side of things.

i think my brain aged the characters up when i was reading the books (because of all the adult things they're doing), so the show, while not being exactly true to the ages in the books, it's more or less true to how i envisioned the characteres in my head.

Now that I've started reading the books my brain is doing the same thing, but only because I'm familiar with the same characters in the show. I think had I just picked up the book and not been familiar with the show I'd be very uncomfortable. It makes me wonder about GRRM and why he would make that choice.

i think my brain aged the characters up when i was reading the books (because of all the adult things they're doing), so the show, while not being exactly true to the ages in the books, it's more or less true to how i envisioned the characteres in my head.

I think that is pretty natural. No one wants to envision some of this stuff with minors.

Somewhat related, when the Hunger Games movie came out I read or heard something that explained why the books could be pretty violent but still be for young adults. The premise was that the ability to determine fiction from reality and to not take behavioral cues from fiction is an inherent trait and is developed pretty early. 

So in a way, your brain has a mechanism to process shit like that. Now back to the show, though it is my least favorite storyline thus far, I'm truly curious to see where they are going with Theon. 

Been following the show for a while now, never read the books, but sometimes I'll read stuff online that the show hasn't gotten to yet. Stuff on specific characters or story arcs. So here's one thing I don't get that maybe someone who read the book can explain. It has to do with the chronology of the books/seasons.

Okay so S1 is pretty much book 1, yeah? Okay well when I read stuff online, for instance if I read about Theon there's this whole backstory about when he was taken as a ward. You don't see that at all in the show (at least not yet?) S1 starts off with him at, say 19 years of age. I assume book 1 is the same. So how does all this back story come about. The books go in chronological order right? And the books are told from various character's points-of-view, yes? So how do you get all that back-story, like the Greyjoy rebellion and stuff like that? Do the character reminisce on it, but it never actually takes place in the series?

Just wondering... it seems like GRRM has created a really rich world and so there is bound to be lots of back-story. But the actual story starts about a decade after Theon was taken. So far, in the show there have only really been hints of it and I just wonder if we'll ever see how that stuff went down or how that all works.

I have a friend who read the books and aside from the many deviations he said the main difference between the books and show is that the show is told from 3rd person, but the books are in 1st person and switches from character to character.

Been following the show for a while now, never read the books, but sometimes I'll read stuff online that the show hasn't gotten to yet. Stuff on specific characters or story arcs. So here's one thing I don't get that maybe someone who read the book can explain. It has to do with the chronology of the books/seasons.

Okay so S1 is pretty much book 1, yeah? Okay well when I read stuff online, for instance if I read about Theon there's this whole backstory about when he was taken as a ward. You don't see that at all in the show (at least not yet?) S1 starts off with him at, say 19 years of age. I assume book 1 is the same. So how does all this back story come about. The books go in chronological order right? And the books are told from various character's points-of-view, yes? So how do you get all that back-story, like the Greyjoy rebellion and stuff like that? Do the character reminisce on it, but it never actually takes place in the series?

Just wondering... it seems like GRRM has created a really rich world and so there is bound to be lots of back-story. But the actual story starts about a decade after Theon was taken. So far, in the show there have only really been hints of it and I just wonder if we'll ever see how that stuff went down or how that all works.

I have a friend who read the books and aside from the many deviations he said the main difference between the books and show is that the show is told from 3rd person, but the books are in 1st person and switches from character to character.

to make a long answer short: yes. there's lots of exposition between characters, both with actual dialogue and internal thoughts in the books. like the Greyjoy rebellion stuff, they reference it a lot in terms of reminding Theon why he's there/what his place is in the world, etc when he gets too full of himself. Also when he returned to the Iron Isles.

to make a long answer short: yes. there's lots of exposition between characters, both with actual dialogue and internal thoughts in the books. like the Greyjoy rebellion stuff, they reference it a lot in terms of reminding Theon why he's there/what his place is in the world, etc when he gets too full of himself. Also when he returned to the Iron Isles.

Okay, cool, thanks!

Have patience. You have to set the shit up before you can execute. Can't have every ep be the battle of blackwater. That would be like listening to blastbeats on fullblast the rest of your life.

Lots of great character stuff and good story development. This ep was super-strong, things are moving along quite nicely.

the people complaining about things being too slow are the same people who would complain about having no idea what the fuck was going on if there wasn't this much plot exposition.

Fair enough. I just feel like each week has been teasing that the next week will be action packed. And then it's just more set up. It would probably help if the seasons were longer than 10 episodes. Because character development takes time, hence all the talk heavy episodes. But a battle can be shown in a matter of minutes with the gist of it still coming across.