Amazon is launching AudioRip for all vinyl purchases

Response from Amazon RE: purchased albums missing from my Cloud Player.

When you purchase an AutoRip eligible album from Amazon.com, an MP3
version of the full album is added to Amazon Cloud Player for free.

You can view your Cloud Player library here: http://www.amazon.com/cloudplayer

Through the AutoRip program, we will also add to your Cloud Player
library MP3 versions of all eligible tracks from albums you have
purchased as far back as 1998. For some albums you purchased in the
past, we may have added MP3 versions of some but not all of the tracks
on the album, depending on track eligibility for AutoRip. We will
continue to expand our selection of AutoRip titles in the future.

You can download or play these MP3s on any supported device. These MP3s
appear in your Purchased playlist with the AutoRip logo, and don't count
against your Cloud Player storage limits.

I've checked and can confirm that the albums which you mentioned are not eligible for AutoRip.

We're continually working to expand the number of albums eligible for AutoRip.

However, to make sure that your feedback is heard by the right people in
the organization, I have forwarded your comments, expressing your
desire to make the above albums available to Amazon Cloud player, to our
Amazon Development Team, so that they can take notice of it, take them
into consideration, work out and most probably provide the option in the
near future.

was it recent? amazon has been using their "frustration free" mailers for roughly 2 years, but before that they did the "big box + air bags" approach quite a bit

anyhoo, this is spectacular news. I'll have to see if the nofx boxset was included in this

No, not recent, definitely much longer than 2 years ago. Yeah the big box approach is brutal!

I can't imagine myself ordering the front bottoms through bar none after I heard about this. Why do labels supply amazon with their records knowing they will sell it cheaper and then lose out on money?

Volume my friend. Not to mention Amazon is by far the largest and most popular online retailer...ie huge market.

just bought an album that is "temporarily out of stock" and got the songs on my cloud player instantly.  I wonder what happens if this album never ships (or if I were to try to cancel the order)... nevermind, they address it here:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT RETURNS AND CANCELLATIONS: If you cancel your order or return this album, our normal order cancellation and product return policies will apply regarding the physical version of this album. However, if you download any of the tracks on the MP3 version of the album from your Cloud Player library (including if you have enabled auto-download to a device and any of the tracks on the MP3 version of the album auto-download), you will be considered to have purchased the MP3 version of the album from the Amazon MP3 Store and we will charge your credit card (or other payment method) for the then-current price of the MP3 version of the album (which will be non-refundable and may be a higher price than the physical version of the album). If you cancel your order or return the album and you do not download any of the tracks on the MP3 version of the album from your Cloud Player library, we will remove it from your Cloud Player library and you will not be charged for it.

in other words, it seems you can listen to the songs all you want, you just can't download them.  in any case, this is one more huge reason to buy vinyl from amazon