Guided by Voices

I just listened to their greatest hits and it is incredible! I'm going to be digging into their entire catalog and I can only hope all of their stuff is even half this good.

GBV fans, feel free to make suggestions about their discography or to school me on what's available on vinyl. I'll figure it out myself eventually but it'd be especially helpful to know what might be teetering on going out of print.

I think the reason why not a lot of people are super into them is because their catalog is one of the most daunting tasks to tackle in modern music. I only have 1 CD, I love it. I've seen Dave from the Arrivals' GBV tribute band a few times...but I just haven't dove in and started to find things...maybe I will start this year....

You will not be able to find some great GBV on vinyl, like Bee Thousand and Kid Marine, but Under the Bushes and Alien Lanes have been reissued and are about $20 each.  My favorite side project is by far Boston Spaceships with three releases including the delicious "Planets are Blasted", currently on amazon for under $13 with Autorip.  

Sign up at Rockathon Records and RobertPollard.com to keep up to date on the never ending releases.   

On the "for sale" front, I not only have the 3 LP's above new, sealed and available but have about 40 other Pollard, GBV, Boston Spaceships, etc. sealed LP's sitting in a bin waiting for the right buyer.  My first purge about 5 years ago got rid of the very rare LP releases.   Never got an original Propeller but kept the Briefcase 2 Test Press in a safe place.   Good luck.  contact [email protected]  

Lastly.  Saw a great GBV show at Middle East Downstairs in 2004 (?) with Detroit's Slumber Party opening.  Funniest memory is of my friend, who had never heard of the band or seen Pollard's on stage activity, say that Robert would probably be a good punter in the NFL.   We both laughed when I told him RP was a pretty good pitcher in school.  

I have considered chasing down anything I can find by them but that would be the death of me. I really enjoy the first couple but I would start with Bee Thousand, Under The Bushes and Alien Lanes. The Bee Thousand Director's Cut has some seriously amazing things on there.

robert pollard has >1500 songs to his name.  he frequently puts out 2-3 albums a year with the band and solo and most all of them are really good.  bee thousand, alien lanes and under the bushes should be in most collections.  

pretty much the best song.  also, they still embrace the aesthetic of degenerate rockers even though all are 50, i think