The 21 Age Limit

Hello all,

Recently I have been peeved of the 21 age limit for the a slim part of the music scene. One venue in particular is The Earl, in downtown Atlanta. They have some great bands that come through, but because I am 18 I cannot attend these shows. I'm trying to justify what's in the clubs interest to make it 21+ and not the typical 18+. I understand alcohol, yadda yadda yadda, but other than that what is there? At 18 you become an adult, so if you were to commit a crime then you would be charged as an adult. I see why clubs want the 18+ age, but the 21+, what's the opinion here of Vinylcollective?

Shows missed:

Russian Circles

Mudhoney

Kylesa

Generationals

Beach Fossils

LIARS

Mac DeMarco

The Jesus Mary and Chain

Part of life.

When I was 14 I was pissed about 16+ shows.

When I was 16 I was pissed about 18+ shows

When I was 18 I was pissed about 21+ shows

Now I go to all the aforementioned shows and just feel plain old. 

You are the victim of adult problems man. It is likely all insurance related and trust me, insurance is damn expensive. 

Businesses also get in trouble if they serve anyone under the legal drinking age, regardless if that person bought a drink there or not. They risk losing their liquor license and can be fined. Even if you don't drink, you're still a liability.

It's simply easier for the establishment, and trust me, in 3 years when you're of age you're gonna enjoy the more adult atmosphere.

Hang in there, soon you'll be an oldfart. We've all been through it.

Businesses also get in trouble if they serve anyone under the legal drinking age, regardless if that person bought a drink there or not. They risk losing their liquor license and can be fined. Even if you don't drink, you're still a liability.

It's simply easier for the establishment, and trust me, in 3 years when you're of age you're gonna enjoy the more adult atmosphere.

Hang in there, soon you'll be an oldfart. We've all been through it.

But wait, the 18+ bars still serve alcohol. So what's the difference?

maybe the 18+ bars are willing to risk it, idk. There isnt really any venue's here that are 21+ all the time, ive never missed a show because of it. But when I was under 18 I missed a ton of good shows, which I still am kinda pissed about. Also how awful are all ages shows? I cannot stand those annoying fucking teenagers, who think they're super cool for going to a concert and take pictures in the crowd and shit.

Also, how do you know those clubs weren't once all ages? I hate to make it sound like anyone under 21 doesn't know how to behave, but I'd bet a few of those clubs went 21+ to cut back on the teenage bullshit. When I used to play music our favorite local venue was 18+ but too many idiots got into fights (all were under 21) and would loiter outside the venue. When they went 21+ all the crap stopped.

Hate to say it, but it only takes a few dumbasses to ruin it for everybody.

maybe the 18+ bars are willing to risk it, idk. There isnt really any venue's here that are 21+ all the time, ive never missed a show because of it. But when I was under 18 I missed a ton of good shows, which I still am kinda pissed about. Also how awful are all ages shows? I cannot stand those annoying fucking teenagers, who think they're super cool for going to a concert and take pictures in the crowd and shit.

You're right all ages shows blow, cost more in fees, and have annoying fucking teenagers filming the entire show on their shitty phone. C'mon who really wants to see a low quality video of a concert. You don't know how many times someone does that standing right in front of me and I want to slap it out of their hands. Maybe that's a dick move, but that's just how I feel. 

Also. Wavves will be playing an all ages show Monday at a typical 18+ bar. Fuck... dumb teenagers are about to annoy the fuck out of me. My generation sucks, sorry guys.

it's part of life. i missed lots of great shows when i was under 18/under 21. i can't remember any of those shows now.

I never go to all ages bars. it's douchey. teenagers trying to act like bad asses. i can hardly stand being around 18 year olds let alone kids under 18.

there are two 18+ bars here. they are CONSTANTLY getting in trouble. hell, i went to one several times when i was under 21. we'd all chill inside and eat/order hookah. then in small groups or pairs we'd go out to our cars and smoke weed or take shots. apparently that never changed because eventually a few years ago the city started having a cop patrol that parking lot every friday & saturday night. and then it turned into EVERY night because people fighting inside/outside started to become a thing. They've also been fined several times for serving underage kids and eventually lost their liquor license & are "temporarily" closed right now.

The other 18+ bar is a pool hall which sucks cuz i love pool and would like to hang there. They've also been fined several times and i read in the paper 3 weeks ago that there was a drive by shooting and a bouncer was killed.

dem 18+ bars is nothin' but trouble. them young bucks trying to act like big boys.

i'll stick to my pleasantly awful dive bar & gay bar.

Try contacting your senator

Hello all,

Recently I have been peeved of the 21 age limit for the a slim part of the music scene. One venue in particular is The Earl, in downtown Atlanta. They have some great bands that come through, but because I am 18 I cannot attend these shows. I'm trying to justify what's in the clubs interest to make it 21+ and not the typical 18+. I understand alcohol, yadda yadda yadda, but other than that what is there? At 18 you become an adult, so if you were to commit a crime then you would be charged as an adult. I see why clubs want the 18+ age, but the 21+, what's the opinion here of Vinylcollective?

Shows missed:

Russian Circles

Mudhoney

Kylesa

Generationals

Beach Fossils

LIARS

Mac DeMarco

The Jesus Mary and Chain

It should fall on the band to choose the age limit and if alcohol is served, but sadly that will never happen

Most venues around me are usually all ages but sometimes it will be 21+ for specific artists. Maybe they have a say?

I was really hoping for some TeenageEric input in this thread...but to no avail.

The only time I was ever concerned with 18+ was getting to see Explosions in the Sky literally the day after my 18th birthday. I can't remember any show I ever had to miss out of because of age though...

My dad was also really rad about taking me to concerts when I was 13-15. He almost got kicked out of Brand New/Senses Fail/Moneen show because some teenager was fucking with him and splashing him with water and he grabbed the kid by the collar and told him to to knock it the fuck off.