I am becoming a mail carrier for everbody's favorite place (USPS!)

Congrats Brock, I've been a part-time rural carrier since last June and have really enjoyed it so far, especially compared to my last job where I was taking tech support calls for a cable company.  The weather is definitely a downside sometimes, but there are a lot of nice days too.

I love shitty weather, I feel like i'd love this job, no joke.  is there any way to just be employed by the USPS as a union steward or union rep?  because thats what I really want to do.

I think i'd enjoy being a mail man. Maybe in ten or so years when I ready for a job, the job of mail carrier will still be around.

Haha it will still be around. The clerk side of things will be very slim. Over the last 10-15 years, they've cut a ton of clerks because a lot of the mail is actually seperated by machines. Carriers will always be there because they are the most important part of the USPS. That is of course unless the robot Apocalypse happens and we are overran by them.....in that case, we would just call in Arnold to save the day

I love shitty weather, I feel like i'd love this job, no joke.  is there any way to just be employed by the USPS as a union steward or union rep?  because thats what I really want to do.

Not sure how it is everywhere, but our union rep is one of the carriers.  Just been experiencing a lot of winter still here in South Dakota lately, but I think it's over now.

Not sure how it is everywhere, but our union rep is one of the carriers. Just been experiencing a lot of winter still here in South Dakota lately, but I think it's over now.

Yeah each office has its own union steward...not sure how the union reps work...I think there's a Union rep for each district but I'm not completely sure.

I'm personally not in the union because even if you aren't in the union, you're still entitled to representation. Its really bizarre how it works but my thoughts are..why pay the Union dues when you're entitled to the representation even if you're not in it

Yeah each office has its own union steward...not sure how the union reps work...I think there's a Union rep for each district but I'm not completely sure.

I'm personally not in the union because even if you aren't in the union, you're still entitled to representation. Its really bizarre how it works but my thoughts are..why pay the Union dues when you're entitled to the representation even if you're not in it

Yeah I wasn't right away but one of the state officers works at our office and she kept giving me application forms for it.  I figured if I'm hoping to work here for the forceable future, I would try and keep up some goodwill.  But yeah, not really helping any union stereotypes.

Also, I know the USPS sucks as a whole and a lot of shitty things happen. There's really no way I can argue against that haha but honestly, it's a really good career if you can get in it. Full benefits, 13 paid holidays off a year, 5 weeks paid vacation, sick leave, etc.

i.....i... i want that

If everyone did what you did there would be no union and no representation to be had. That's why you pay union dues. 

Congrats!!  My Grandfather was a rural mail man, used his own car, no clue when he started but he retired in the late 90's.  My Aunt just recently retired from being a mail carrier.  They both used to break my balls since I work for FedEx Express delivering.  I can tell ya I run into USPS workers all the time out delivering and every one stops and chats with me or waves when I drive by.

• 1 year later...

It's cool that people are getting the cca gigs. I did the carrier thing for about 9 months and left to go back to a M-F gig. I miss being skinny from all the walking but that's about it.

Joking aside, most people have zero idea how physically demanding the job is. And I'm including those carriers with driving routes. The stereotype is of some slacker just strutting around in the sun petting dogs, but it's not a job for most people. The first 90 days I was there (I was a career not temp) I was at the mercy of mgmt, and working 6 days/week.

When you are going out on routes and don't know the area, you'd find yourself falling behind each day, and they have scan points to monitor your progress. It could get pretty stressful trying to do a regular route plus 2 extra hours when you're figuring out where you're going half the time. Mgmt was just looking for a reason to let people go. There was a Marine in my same group. She threw in the towel after about 2 months(and in no way am I implying I was tougher). It was right before the holidays when half our trucks were filled up with xmas gifts.

Of the 40+ carriers in the office I worked at probably half had issues. For those with walking routes, 6-8 miles/day wears on the joints, and no matter what slips/falls/injuries happen no matter how careful you were. Plenty of knee/hip replacments and back issues. As for driving routes? Imagine sitting in a right-side drive vehicle and reaching over to your left a few hundred times a day. Great way to get repetitive motion injuries, which contributed to shoulder and arm problems for some. 

And all of that isn't even taking the weather into account. 65 and sunny? Awesome! Zero degrees, windy, two feet of snow and tubs of advertisements? Doesn't matter - you better figure out a way to get done just as quickly.

Also, many of these jobs are ex-military, since they get a bump on the test score. So be nice to 'em when they drop off your bent in half vinyl :)