I am becoming a mail carrier for everbody's favorite place (USPS!)

As some of you know, I work for the USPS. For the last few years, I've been a clerk/supervisor at my office. Recently, a position opened up on the carrier side so I'm switching over. I'm pretty excited about it since I won't be stuck in the office all day anymore.

I can't wait to crush all your records, bend them in half to fit in your mailbox, and kick them down the street until I reach your house!

Also, I know the USPS sucks as a whole and a lot of shitty things happen. There's really no way I can argue against that haha but honestly, it's a really good career if you can get in it. Full benefits, 13 paid holidays off a year, 5 weeks paid vacation, sick leave, etc.

5 weeks is a nice amount of vacation! Congrats!

It also makes me want to bitch about the current financial status of the Post Office but I'll stay positive...

It all depends on when you were hired. If it you were hired before I believe 1988 or 1989 its under this thing called "Civil Service Retirement System" and if you were hired after that, you're under something called " Federal Employees Retirement System" which is just like a 401K

My future father-in-law was a usps worker from the mid 90's until last year. Anyone on the pension plan they tried to hurry into retirement to save some money. The postal service was a great career in the past. Brock can speak to it now.

Yeah, it still is a great career to have. I mean it's well documented the financial problems we're in and how much the mail volume has gone down since the birth of the internet and all that. There will be a lot of changes in the upcoming years. What those changes will exactly be, nobody really knows at this point. Will congress actually step in and help? who knows.

Only thing I really know, its not like one day we are just going to close shop and say "well fuck it, at least we tried". haha

they're hiring for mail carriers in pittsburgh, $15/hr to start, not shabby, not earth shattering 

Yeah, that's a new position called "CCA(City Carrier Assistant). I'm not too entirely sure what exactly they do but they aren't career employees. I know they are hired for a 360 day term, then they have to take a 5 day break in service and then they'll get hired back if needed.

Part of the reason why we are so fucked financially is because there has been a HUGE shortage of mail carriers for the last decade or so and are paying a shitton of overtime pay to the career employees. I'm not 100% sure of the number but the USPS just hired something like 30,000 of these CCA's to fill the shortage and thus eliminating overtime pay.

Congrats on the new job! I've always wondered what it'd be like to work outdoors- then I realize being less than a hundred pounds with a bad back (therefore not being able to lift/carry/move anything remotely heavy) and being extremely sensitive to temperature means I'm meant to work in my tiny cube forever.

My mail carrier is super happy all the time (and he's been doing it for a crazy long time)- hope that's the case for you!