VC Cooperative Label Details,Buy in date announced

Guest admin1338560633

im pretty sure if there is money and records left, the label will continue. if there are 300 records laying around and funds waiting for the next record, i would assume they will sit until all the records are sold so the next record can be pressed, then we start over again. this is why it is important that we pick records that will sell. it may sound cool to press some band no one has ever heard of, with the exception of the board of course, but it will probably fuck up what could be a very cool thing for all of us.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Admin

the thought is that this will just continue going on but if there is a point where it is decided that this thing is to end, I would think that we will just figure out how many copies we have remaining and either divide those records amongst the shareholders or have a fire sale and maybe have the money raised go back to the shareholders. We can put it up for a vote if that day arrives.

well in theory the label would continue indefinately... it just wouldnt have any operating capital... so it wouldnt release anything until the records sold. of course theres always additional options that could be chosen based on a vote by the shareholders... ie sell more shares... disolve and divide the records up... or just say screw it and hand over the remaining inventory to virgil.. i mean if theres 12k in unsellable records... no ones gonna want them.

but i really dont see it coming to that... unless the format collapses completely.. i mean i'd like to think collectively we couldnt possibly vote to release 4 records that couldnt sell a single copy... i mean im pretty sure me farting into a kazoo could sell more than one copy... you might get diminished returns... ie 3rd round = 4 records, 4th round = 2 records ... etc... but with back catalog and continued sales... id think you'd always have at least money for a short run kicking around

If at anytime this project stops, for any given reason, would the shareholders get the remaining records and/or funds? I hope I didn't offend anyone by asking this.

Valid question.

Also, I doubt a repress would go through. Why would 210 people vote to press a record they already own? I know I wouldn't.

because you are running a record label here. thats why. Represses are cheaper than new records, and if it continues to sell well.. that means more $$ for the label.. and thusly more records for the shareholders.

I think some people aren't realizing that the label will always either have money OR records, the only way it can completely fail is if we cannot make enough money off of the records by selling them, which means we have a sum of money (not enough to press another record) and a bunch of records. I like Virgil's ideas in this case, I think the main concern about this scenario was how the future of the assets of the label will be decided. If EVERYTHING comes down to a vote in the end then thats great.

Also, about represses, I don't think a popular record's repress (that we originally pressed) will sell better than a new record. Also, I'm not getting into this to make money (because its impossible to). I don't really see a point of doing a repress because the main goal of pressing a record is to make enough money to press the next record.....doing a repress is just elongating the process of getting to another, new record with no long term gain to us AT ALL.

This might all be rambling, so I hope someone can decipher what I was trying to say.

I think some people aren't realizing that the label will always either have money OR records, the only way it can completely fail is if we cannot make enough money off of the records by selling them, which means we have a sum of money (not enough to press another record) and a bunch of records. I like Virgil's ideas in this case, I think the main concern about this scenario was how the future of the assets of the label will be decided. If EVERYTHING comes down to a vote in the end then thats great.

Also, about represses, I don't think a popular record's repress (that we originally pressed) will sell better than a new record. Also, I'm not getting into this to make money (because its impossible to). I don't really see a point of doing a repress because the main goal of pressing a record is to make enough money to press the next record.....doing a repress is just elongating the process of getting to another, new record with no long term gain to us AT ALL.

This might all be rambling, so I hope someone can decipher what I was trying to say.

You can however, raise more money for the label and thus press more new records with a good re-press every once in a while. A good amount of money for a pressing is dedicated to getting mothers, masters, and other one-time things done. If those are out of the way, which they would be in the case of a re-press, you actually pay much less for a re-press and thus make money from the pressing. More money from the pressing means more money for more records. Everybody wins.

it would make more sense to repress a record that has been out of print for a long time though (for example: Botch - We Are the Romans). you can get Menos El Oso for $12 all over the place. it wouldn't make sense.

it would make more sense to repress a record that has been out of print for a long time though (for example: Botch - We Are the Romans). you can get Menos El Oso for $12 all over the place. it wouldn't make sense.

As it stands I believe the only re-presses the collective would be doing would be re-presses of collective records. I do not believe re-presses of records that were once on vinyl elsewhere would be a project the collective would take.

As it stands I believe the only re-presses the collective would be doing would be re-presses of collective records. I do not believe re-presses of records that were once on vinyl elsewhere would be a project the collective would take.

it was just an example. i was trying to say that if a record is still being printed, you can't repress it.

I severely doubt that we will press a record that:

a) has never been pressed so far, and

B) will sell out so quickly (and sell out from other distros so people can't actually buy the album anywhere) that a repress would be worth while.

I could be wrong, I just don't see it happening.

i'd wager you're wrong on those counts. theres tons of stuff that hasn't been released on vinyl that would easily blow thru the 700 or so copies that will be available for sale.