Anti-static brush help

I've been using this new brush that works decently well to get the dust off of my records, and it's supposed to be anti-static, yet every time that I use it, my record gets so damn static-filled that it sticks right to the slip mat when I flip the record, making it a major pain in the ass to clean both sides. Is this normal? Am I somehow not grounding it correctly?

Here's the brush that I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D8DYQM4/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any help would rock, thanks.

I have the same issue. I asked and apparently slipmats as a whole just suck, far better just to get a cork or antistatic slipmat.

What is stopping anyone to buy a sheet of cork and make a slipmat themselves for cheaper than advertised? This is an honest question. Does the cork need to be treated somehow before use?

What is stopping anyone to buy a sheet of cork and make a slipmat themselves for cheaper than advertised? This is an honest question. Does the cork need to be treated somehow before use?

I don't think the cork is special in any way. I even think there was a thread a while back where someone bought cork from Home Depot and tried to make their own. If I remember right, they gave up because the result was too messy. It's really hard to cut and make it look good.

People do this all the time. Cutting it/creating the correct position for the spindle is people's biggest deterrent. But... cork is cheap.

People do this all the time. Cutting it/creating the correct position for the spindle is people's biggest deterrent. But... cork is cheap.

I went ahead and bought a 2' x 4' sheet of 3/32" thick cork and went through with making some slipmats. I used my felt slipmat as a template and traced the outside and the spindle hole, easy peezy. Cutting the mat with a rotary knife blade was also a breeze. After cutting the shape, I ironed the cork on a low-medium setting until it was perfectly flat. I felt a few rough spots in the cork so I went ahead and sanded it a bit until it was nice and smooth. I cleaned the dust off as well as I could with a few towels/rags and then went over it with tape and pealed it up to remove more of the residue. After this I plattered it up and gave it a shot with an older record that was quite clean and it sounded great. I compared by switching the cork mat out with my felt mat and I feel like the cork sounded less noisy but I'm sure I was hearing what I wanted to hear in that regard. The only problem I'm faced with is that the cork mat is still leaving a little cork dust/residue on the side of the record that it's touching. It cleans up fine with a brush, just like any other dust would but I'd like to solve this a little better before making any more. Any recommendations?

edit: I went ahead and used an old discwasher that my dog got a hold of, directly on the cork mat and after a number of passes I noticed a disparity in the amount of dust I was picking up from the mat from before and after placing a record on it and giving it a little while to spin, there was minimal residue left. Also tried one of the records that has consistently held a lot of static in my collection and it sounded significantly cleaner on the cork. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Taking the convo back to anti static brushes if I may. Is there a good way to clean the brushes off after continued use? Everytime I've cleaned in the last month the brush leaves a lot of particles from the brush not the record (too much static?)behind and it's almost impossible to get it well cleaned without over cleaning the record. I have a pfanstiehl brush and fluid.

• 1 month later...

I just got my set-up, and in preparation for it I bought the DAK Anti Static brush off amazon after hearing horror stories about just about every other brush.

Now on the 5th-8th use and already:

CameraZOOM-20130827223025296_zpsbee446a7

Static is also an issue for me too, even when I ground the brush on something. I emailed the company.

EDIT: The customer service rep got back to me and wasn't any help. He claimed that the bristles just needed to be reset into position using my finger, but I assured him they are gone, not just moved. He claimed that the issue is due to nothing more than normal wear and tear on the product, despite that I had used it less than 10 times. After another email, he offered to send a new one or replace it.

Returned that brush in the post above and got an Audioquest brush since I saw some people people had good stuff to say about them. Most of the amazon reviews were negative though. The first LP I played was white and I noticed a crap-ton of fibers all over the LP almost instantly. Did discharge the static though. Unhappy with my anti static brush experiences thus far.