YCCC - YoCaseyCasey's CRAZY (A 60 Day Juice Fast)

Kriss, did you do a Day 1 weigh-in?

I did. My starting weight is exactly what you were at when you started, so maybe my changes will be identical?  ;)

Trying to establish a routine of four 16 ounce juices throughout the day. One at 10 AM when I wake up, then one at 2 in the afternoon, another at 6 in the evening and a final at 10 PM (I usually got to bed around 2 AM, so not worried about consuming later in the night).

I've been trying to figure out if I can still do kombucha while on this and potentially achieve the same weight loss. Kombucha is great for giving the feeling of being full but is definitely heavy on the carbs side. So...

Good for you Casey. I'm also 6'1" and finally down to 190. I took a very different approach to weight loss than you but results are results. Hoping to be at 188 by race day in two weeks. My original goal was 193 but I am not aiming at 185 since the loss of weight has been good for my knees as I run.

Keep it up Champ!

I need to get on this train.  I've been fluctuating over the past 2 years, though I am 20lbs less than I was at my heaviest.  I'd been eating better and running a lot during the winter time and lost 15-20lbs in a month.  I've gained 10lbs back since then, so I'd like to go back down.  Fixing to lose about 30-40lbs by years end.  Problems: I just bought a case of beer the other day and I work weird hours a lot that don't allow me to stop eating after 8pm like I did in the winter.  I'm at 245 right now, and hope to lose 15 before the end of July.  I don't have a problem with eating and cooking healthy foods so it won't be hard to do that.  Going to cut out red meat and go on a drinking strike for the next month.  I usually need someone to do try to do this with, so Casey, mind if I join you?

Day 9:

237.8 lbs

That’s a loss of 1.0 lbs from yesterday and 15.4 lbs total. 

I strayed away from my Green Juice yesterday and made a recipe that included no cucumber and extra ginger and kale. It is pretty gross. I only drank half of a quart yesterday because of it. However, I felt less hungry than normal.

While I was laying in bed last night, I was thinking about how un-hungry I was and thought about how eating sounded gross. However, three or four hours prior to that, I was chewing up a dinner roll and spitting it out, just to get the satisfaction of chewing something as well as tasting something other than lemon water. 

My emotions and my brain are both in weird states. Half the time I am thinking about what foods I want to eat, while the other half of the time I am thinking about how easy this fast is. 

Part of me wants to take a two week break at the 30 day mark in order to eat sushi. I really want sushi.

what's the transition back to normal eating like? do you have to do anything special?

also why aren't you doing a video blog. people would be into that.

Day 1: 242.8. 

I weigh less than I thought.  Kinda cool.  No beer, no calorie-laden drinks, no red meat, only eating veggies/fruit and whole grains after 8pm and most importantly: portion control.  I'll be doing running as exercise for now, then mix in some lifting and (maybe) swimming.  I'm not sure if my family picked up a pool membership for our township or not this year.  My goal is to be below 200 by the end of the year.

Day 10:

236.0 lbs

That’s a loss of 1.8 lbs from yesterday and 17.2 lbs total. 

Yesterday I played tennis with my buddy Jeff for 45 minutes. It kicked my ass. Imagine not eating for 9 days and then playing tennis… That’s how it felt. I lost 5-3 (we played to 5 because I was about to pass out). 

That completely ruined the rest of my day. I came home and took a shower. It was 2:00. After the shower, I put on pajamas and laid on the couch and the next thing I knew, it was 10:00pm and I went to bed.

I tried drinking some juice yesterday, but it was definitely bad. Bad as in, one of the veggies was spoiled. It was SO bitter. The first time I drank it, I chalked it up to me adjusting the recipe. The second time I drank it, I decided that there is NO WAY the juice should taste like that. So that really turned me off from the juice fast. I had apple juice in the afternoon, and water for the rest of the evening. I am going to make a fresh batch of Green Juice this morning, and if it tastes bad, I don’t know what I will do.

There is a good chance that I am caving after today. I’ve read plenty of stories about people who have started with 7 or 14 day fasts and then went to a modified fast where they juice up to dinner and have a small salad with a lean protein Those people still lost a ton of weight. I am going nuts without food, and frankly, I will more than likely throw in a Chipotle veggie bowl for dinner every night starting tomorrow.

Today we find out the gender of the baby. I will not be playing tennis.

That's what I'm thinking. I feel just fine today. Yesterday killed me though with the intense tennis match. They say you aren't supposed to exercise during a fast, and I now see why. 

We'll see what happens. 4 days shouldn't be an issue.

Also, from what I've read online, plenty of people have done 2 week fasts and jumped right into regular food and been fine. They just can't eat as much of it because their stomach is so small.

Yeah, you should probably not play tennis on this. Your body has been feeding on its reserves (glycogen stored in the liver / skeletal muscle) and you have been losing water weight in addition to fat loss. Medium to heavy physical activity is going to make you feel like shit (no glycogen for your muscles to use as food) and might lead to muscle catabolism (your body short on protein and fuel breaking down muscle tissue to reuse it).

If you do want to exercise, you need to have a "carb-up" day once a week, just like you would with the Atkins diet. The other 6, stay strong with the juice. Even though juice is mostly carbs, it's probably not giving you the amount of calories you need to replace muscle glycogen (burning the energy off rather than storing it in the muscle cells).

Best idea would be to stick with the juice and ditch the exercise (short term, until the weight loss stops or you get to where you want to be and switch back to a normal diet / exercise). After the glucose stores go, fat is next. You don't want to quit when the main effects are really getting fired up. Will probably feel pretty different as your body goes through each of these phases (sometimes shitty) but that is a sign that it is working. Stay strong man!

Day 3 - still feeling pretty good. Occasional hunger pangs, but nothing that can't be fixed with a huge glass of water. 8 pounds of (likely water) weight dropped. Hopefully some fat starts coming off soon. 

Casey, any tips for avoiding the bummer you're experiencing when hitting the double digits?