YCCC - YoCaseyCasey's CRAZY (A 60 Day Juice Fast)

Broccoli not a complete protein. It needs to be combined with other sources of protein to be used by the body.

A simple way of thinking about it -- a chicken is much closer genetically to a person than broccoli. Thus it is easier for your body to digest it and turn it into muscle tissue. There is no way for your body to get all your protein from brocolli and somehow turn it into a complete person. Need to include some meat as well or if you are going without meat, then eat a variety of beans, nuts, greens, etc. The variety will allow your body to turn incomplete proteins into a complete set. There are plenty of websites that describe what plant foods contain what essential amino acids.

That said, the point of a juice fast (as you have described) is to lose significant poundage over a relatively short period of time. So if you shed 40 pounds of fat and lose a couple pounds of muscle doing it, the result is a win. If it was me, I'd just try and eat some fish or chicken maybe twice a week, just to stay on the safe side of protein intake but that's just me.

Can Jess weigh in here? I've heard the above and I've also read things like the following:

"Myth #2: “Complete Proteins” are Hard to Find

The other popular misconception is that animal products are the best source of protein. One important reason this myth has been perpetuated is because the amino acids—the building blocks of protein—are assembled in a way in animal foods that more closely resembles what humans actually utilize. However, we now know that this is inconsequential. When you consume any protein, it is broken down via digestion into its separate amino acid constituents and is pooled in the blood for further use. When the body needs to construct a protein for an enzyme or to repair muscles tissue, it collects the necessary amino acids and strings them back together in the sequence appropriate for what it is currently creating. This occurs regardless whether you consume animal or plant protein. 

If you eat a variety of whole plants, you will easily attain all of the essential amino acids necessary to sustain proper metabolism and to thrive. Plus, plant protein is perfectly packaged along with an abundance of phytonutrients, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and fiber—all critical components for optimal health and disease prevention. On the contrary, animal protein is wrapped up with unhealthy saturated fat and dietary cholesterol. Animal products are also devoid of phytonutrients, antioxidants, and fiber, and are very low in most vitamins in minerals."

Seems to be a lot of sources saying a lot of things. That is from some Vegetarian thing, so obviously they prefer to dispel protein myths. I'm not saying Lebowski is wrong, I'm just saying I have no idea what is right. Seems like you can google whatever you position is and find some science. 

Casey, I just wanted to say congrats on undertaking this and I'll be following along. I've put on 25 pounds since I started university three years ago and last week I began changing my workout and eating habits to get rid of that by September. I don't think I have the willpower for what you're doing but in all sincerity, best of luck.

I love Lebowski. I think he cares more for me than my family doctor. He always has more than two cents when it comes to my diet.

Blanchard - You can do it, dude. 

I just made my juice for the first half of tomorrow. It tastes like peach pie. It is awesome.

The amount that I comment on your diet was also apparent to me. We're cool like I am with 95% of the people here but I have commented on your diet the most because you have publicly expressed two "unorthodox" approaches over the last two months or so and I just like reading and discussing this stuff. If someone posts that there New Year's resolution is to drink less and bike 3 times a week (for example), not really a lot to talk about there.

Can Jess weigh in here? I've heard the above and I've also read things like the following:

You asked for Jess but I'm commenting anyways. She can overrule me if she wants. A few points:

Yes -- You can get all the amino acids you need to be healthy through a varied diet of plants. The heuristic method would be to just eat a variety of sources (beans, nuts, vegetables, etc). The exact method would be to utilize the internet and figure out what you get from each one, making sure you are covered.

Part of it comes down to goals. Casey's goal is clear -- shed extra pounds. A very heavy vegetable diet would be ideal for this, maybe all plant. Produces a calorie deficit.

If your goal was different (say the 140 pound kid who wants to get stronger), you want not only a lot of protein but a calorie surplus. How much broccoli you going to have to eat for this (overlooking the complete/incomplete discussion for a moment)? The conservative estimate for someone trying to put on size is .5 grams per pound of body weight. You going to eat 14 cups of broccoli a day? And I would contend you really should be higher than .5 grams / pound (be on the safe side, not sorry). There's also the issue of timing (which is why just about everyone who lifts weights takes whey protein right after. Quickest digesting so it is there right when your body needs it <30 minutes after a workout).

As far as vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, etc, yes, you want to have a lot of plant matter in your diet to obtain these. But here's another thing to consider -- what population of people live the longest? The Japanese. Why? They eat lots of fish. Omega 3 fats are a key part of our diet too.

I'm digressing. Can't tackle the entire topic of "diet". The short of it is that conventional diet wisdom in the past has been "just avoid fat". Lately it has switched to "avoid sugar". Obviously don't want huge amounts of saturated fat in your diet. But that also doesn't mean that all meat has no purpose in our diet. Just about striking a balance that helps achieve your goals.

One more point to add -- This is just my opinion.

Doctors tend to score the results of their findings on quantifiable measures. "standard of life" is no where near as easily quantifiable as "life expectancy". Big guys have lower life expectancies. It's pretty well accepted as fact. Big + fat is worse than big + strong but the best body type for extending life expectancy is thin and trim.

So it leads to a lifestyle question (this being a theoretical example) -- Would you rather look like Arnold up to say your 40s but have a life expectancy of 70 or be thin and have a life expectancy of 80? The doctors often don't consider this when they give recommendations. It's all about improving life expectancy. That's what their job is -- to protect life.

I can tell you my plan -- I want to keep trying to get big and strong (without getting fat) up until maybe my mid 30s. I have no fear of having a heart attack tomorrow. My diet even with meat in it is healthier than many many people out there. When I get to late 30s, I'm going to focus more on trying to be trim, thin, and heart healthy. I will vary my diet accordingly throughout the years. Just what fits best for me...

All that sounds reasonable to me. I was just looking for clarification on the science behind animal vs. plant proteins and the idea of one or other being more complete.

Agree about surplus and calorie sources and the rest. Though I'd maybe argue on the Japanese bit, only in the sense that fish maybe a component bit not the whole story.

Need to get a fish juicer.

From what I understand, unless you're trying to build muscle mass, you don't need protein in the amounts everyone says you do.

I can say, as a shitty vegan, I've had no problem building muscle mass and my protein level? according to the doctor is totally fine.

Casey, post your freakin recipes!  I want to try peach pie juice.

Jeff - You just made me laugh, literally. 

Jacob - Peach Pie is 3 large sweet potatoes, 4 peaches, 2 granny smith apples. Sprinkle with cinnamon if you wish. It's pretty good. NOTE: I have been drinking juices that are green for the first two days. I just wanted to try that recipe! And it does resemble a pie. So gooooood.

Just buy it at the store:

462_fish_juice.jpg

Jbmi9gi.jpg

holy shit dude. i found this picture today, and realized how long it's been since i've used it. 

you know what you get?

Jbmi9gi.jpg?1

Faith, that's the whole point of this juice fast. The documentary was called Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.

Day 3:

245.0 lbs

That's a loss of 3.2 lbs since yesterday morning and 8.2 lbs total. I am guessing the majority of this weight loss is all water weight up until this point. The weight loss should slow down a bit after a couple a days.

I still feel "heady" as in groggy and not easily focused. I feel more alert but consistently tired. The dreams are still weird. Dreams included me playing clarinet in an indie rock band with an ex-girlfriend while my wife was a lunch-lady for handicapped children in the library next to our rehearsal space. I also was a black guy for a split second handing out roses as a way of shmoozing my bosses at GQ (where I apparently didn't work but pretended I did). 

My favorite parts of my day are the mornings and evenings. The mornings are exciting because I get to drink hot water with lemon. It fills the void of where my morning coffee was. I also get to weigh-in and see my progress, which is always fun. The evenings are great because I get to drink a decaffeinated hot tea (Sleepy Time and Orange have been my go-to so far), and I'm usually so tired when I hit the sack that I fall asleep almost instantly.

I have a good morning and afternoon of peach-pie juice before I get down on some more kale/spinach-based juices. 

No headaches, and my pee isn't green (yet).

Might have to try this. I've been meaning to get on a diet, but not sure which one. This seems interesting. I've thought about revisiting a high-protein diet, but it was hard to get the necessary protein intake because you have to constantly eat it seems. Doing a couple meal replacement protein shakes, and having one regular meal of chicken and greens. And then constant snaking on things like cottage and string cheese, Greek yogurt, eggs, almonds, canned tuna, power bars, etc.