Hawthorne PD kills dog of wrongly arrested citizen

I train dogs for a living and this whole situation just has me shaking my head.  While I understand that filming the police is not illegal, this guy really should've just minded his own damn business.  His shit disturbing got his dog killed.

That being said, the way the police handled this was terrible.  Nothing about the dogs body language suggested that it was going to become aggressive in any way.  Almost every poorly trained dog jumps on people and even the best trained dog would want to see wtf was happening if a bunch of strangers surrounded their owner.  Anyone trying to justify this because it was a Rottweiler doesn't know what they're talking about.  Any breed is equally likely to bite all depending on how it was raised.  It is brainwashing by the media that makes gives a bad reputation to bully breeds.  The cop already had his gun drawn and aimed when the dog was just sniffing the grass.  At that point he shouldve just picked up its leash and walked it away.  He (like a lot of cops) obviously has little dick syndrome and probably would've shot it regardless of whether it was a rottie or a westie.  And it's comforting knowing that a police officer has such a shitty shot that he cant even take out a dog cleanly when it's right in front of him.  4 shots and it still doesn't die?  Horrible.

this. my friend trains dogs and all of her trainer friends have said the same thing...and i don't think a lot of people actually watched the video. because if they did, nothing about the dogs body language said "I'm going to attack you"

this. my friend trains dogs and all of her trainer friends have said the same thing...and i don't think a lot of people actually watched the video. because if they did, nothing about the dogs body language said "I'm going to attack you"

Ok, so that was the most awful video I have ever seen. I didn't really hear the dog growl. The dude obviously has to reach for his gun. Could have gone for the stun gun, I don't see how the cop has an excuse here. 

Forgive my ignorance but that dog was still alive and was dying in the street when the video ended right?

I train dogs for a living and this whole situation just has me shaking my head. While I understand that filming the police is not illegal, this guy really should've just minded his own damn business. His shit disturbing got his dog killed.

That being said, the way the police handled this was terrible. Nothing about the dogs body language suggested that it was going to become aggressive in any way. Almost every poorly trained dog jumps on people and even the best trained dog would want to see wtf was happening if a bunch of strangers surrounded their owner. Anyone trying to justify this because it was a Rottweiler doesn't know what they're talking about. Any breed is equally likely to bite all depending on how it was raised. It is brainwashing by the media that makes gives a bad reputation to bully breeds. The cop already had his gun drawn and aimed when the dog was just sniffing the grass. At that point he shouldve just picked up its leash and walked it away. He (like a lot of cops) obviously has little dick syndrome and probably would've shot it regardless of whether it was a rottie or a westie. And it's comforting knowing that a police officer has such a shitty shot that he cant even take out a dog cleanly when it's right in front of him. 4 shots and it still doesn't die? Horrible.

i don't think anyone said anything bad about the dog, the breed, or how dogs behave. or how the officer could have handled it better, but just was unfortunate due to various circumstances in a high tension situation.

the rest of your statement just exudes ignorance. are you a puppy trainer at petco? because approaching an unknown 100 pound dog and trying to grab it's leash may not be the smartest move. any trainer could tell you that. some dogs are fearful of strangers, but then again, what do i know, i've only been around rotties 32 years of my life. And i can definitely say, they can attack unprovoked in a matter of seconds, even if they sniffing grass and have their head down. especially with strangers. even if their master is present. it happens.

also cops approach a possibly dangerous situation armed. 100 pound dog which is known to have have a bite can possibly be a dangerous situation. it's not a teacup yorkie they can just pick up and put in ziplock bag for evidence. if a dog of that size jumps toward at you, most people will not take the chance that it's just curious or playing. even if the dog was not growling, that gives sign of the fact the dog isnt scared of you in the least bit and is a worse scenerio than if it was barking loudly. mind you, the officer approached the dog and the dog jumped. how are you blindly ignoring that fact? it was its body language. yeah, ask the malamute that lunged at me at the dog park for no reason whatsoever. people talk a lot, but if the situation occurred most people would be deathly afraid of a large dog jumping on them, which can cause harm in and of itself. i have the scars on my stomach to prove it. and that was just me wrestling with our dogs.

also being fired on doesn't necessarily mean a animal or human dies on impact. hitting a kill zone even doesn't mean they die within seconds. so yes 4 shots in succession and it died. the process of making a kill shot on moving target is probable but not likely, hence the 4 rounds.

noalarmplanet: stun guns and tasers are not suitable for dogs. as they could possibly kill them also. only pepper spray or maybe a dog whistle could have used to rectify the matter. which is what he should have used. but heat of the moment i guess.

now i'm not saying the cop is completely  innocent. they all could have done something to alleviate the situation. i just don't get the hate on the cop only except for maybe blind ignorance because its' a cop shooting a dog. leaving no fault on the owner. i hear the pd officers who weren't even working that area were getting death threats. FUCK PEOPLE ARE STUPID TO THREATEN OFFICERS and their families because someone's dog got shot due to it's masters cause and effect negligence.

i don't think anyone said anything bad about the dog, the breed, or how dogs behave. or how the officer could have handled it better, but just was unfortunate due to various circumstances in a high tension situation.

the rest of your statement just exudes ignorance. are you a puppy trainer at petco? because approaching an unknown 100 pound dog and trying to grab it's leash may not be the smartest move. any trainer could tell you that. some dogs are fearful of strangers, but then again, what do i know, i've only been around rotties 32 years of my life. And i can definitely say, they can attack unprovoked in a matter of seconds, even if they sniffing grass and have their head down. especially with strangers. even if their master is present. it happens.

also cops approach a possibly dangerous situation armed. 100 pound dog which is known to have have a bite can possibly be a dangerous situation. it's not a teacup yorkie they can just pick up and put in ziplock bag for evidence. if a dog of that size jumps toward at you, most people will not take the chance that it's just curious or playing. even if the dog was not growling, that gives sign of the fact the dog isnt scared of you in the least bit and is a worse scenerio than if it was barking loudly.

also being fired on doesn't necessarily mean a animal or human dies on impact. hitting a kill zone even doesn't mean they die within seconds. so yes 4 shots in succession and it died. the process of making a kill shot on moving target is probable but not likely, hence the 4 rounds.

noalarmplanet: stun guns and tasers are not suitable for dogs. as they could possibly kill them also. only pepper spray or maybe a dog whistle could have used to rectify the matter. which is what he should have used. but heat of the moment i guess.

now i'm not saying the cop is completely  innocent. they all could have done something to alleviate the situation. i just don't get the hate on the cop only except for maybe blind ignorance because its' a cop shooting a dog. leaving no fault on the owner. i hear the pd officers who weren't even working that area were getting death threats. FUCK PEOPLE ARE STUPID TO THREATEN OFFICERS and their families because someone's dog got shot due to it's masters cause and effect negligence.

i didnt read all of this but yea you are right.. you should never approach ANY dog you dont know. the video says everything that needs to be said. i still 100 percent think the officers decision to shoot the dog was an absolute poor one.  this is my breakdown of everything i saw.

1. the dog never bit anyone or really attacked. it jumped at one cop, and then sort of backed off, while continuing to bark

2. after the first (unnecessary) bullet the dog was done. backed off completely....why the need for three more?

3. what i noticed was, the cop that shot, wasn't even the cop that was "attacked" he seemingly came out of nowhere.

i know this is an endless argument, and I respect everyones opinions. But i just didn't see an immediate threat and i found the use of deadly force absurd. I guess if the idea and existence of cops that abusing authority didn't exist we wouldn't even be having this discussion. 

all im saying is that this is my OPINON. I wasn't there, i wasn't the cop, but from what i saw, it could have been easily avoided 

i really think you have a strong opinion because you're a dog owner and trying to make sense of this shitty ordeal that left a dog , through really no fault of it's own, dead.  you put yourself in the situation of the cop and think, what would i have done. any dog owner would have completely come up with a viable solution that worked out for everyone and would know how to handle it with ease. but not everyone's a dog owner and thinks like a dog owner.

dude, my friends are scared shitless of our dog because he's bitten me on 8 different occasions. mind you 5 of them were within the first few weeks and the rest were before i pinned him to the ground upstairs as he was jumping on me and trying to bite me, even though he knows my room is upstairs. even though he knows he's not eating unless i feed him and tell him too. he's just a curmudgeon and from what the behavioral therapist says, he's chemistry is off and he doesn't react like other dogs. so go figure. which leads me to prove that not all dogs react like you think they might. shit happens. but dog owners are somewhat aware of the situations that might occur and see a solution before it happens.. non-dog owners...not so much, and think of the last case scenerio that will save their lives. 

Controlthebleeding- I don't care how long you've been around Rotties. Or any other breed for that matter. The average dog does not bite a person, even a stranger unprovoked. So the use of lethal force by the police office was completely unwarranted unless the dog was snarling, growling or baring teeth.

I train about 100 dogs each week and as a 118lbs 5'7'' female have been jumped on hundreds of times by dogs of all sizes. From what I can remember off hand even a few in the 150lbs range. Have I been bit, scratched, knocked over, etc? Many times. Big shit. If I can take it so can a police officer. Should I shoot every dog that jumps on me?

And from you referencing "pinning" or dog in your last post, it's obvious that you are clueless about the horrible physcological side affects that that aversive Cesar millan bullshit causes to dogs which would also consequently explain why your own dog had bitten you 8 times.

I've had the unfortunate experience of working with several dog owners who follow that crap. 1 dog was on Prozac. One was put down. One bit another owner. One bit another dog. And one would piss itself everytime I looked it in the eyes.

Bullying and teaching are two very different things.

And just because the dog was large does not mean it was more likely bite.

nicole, on 06 Jul 2013 - 00:22, said:

Controlthebleeding- I don't care how long you've been around Rotties. Or any other breed for that matter. The average dog does not bite a person, even a stranger unprovoked. So the use of lethal force by the police office was completely unwarranted unless the dog was snarling, growling or baring teeth.

I train about 100 dogs each week and as a 118lbs 5'7'' female have been jumped on hundreds of times by dogs of all sizes. From what I can remember off hand even a few in the 150lbs range. Have I been bit, scratched, knocked over, etc? Many times. Big shit. If I can take it so can a police officer. Should I shoot every dog that jumps on me?

And from you referencing "pinning" or dog in your last post, it's obvious that you are clueless about the horrible physcological side affects that that aversive Cesar millan bullshit causes to dogs which would also consequently explain why your own dog had bitten you 8 times.

I've had the unfortunate experience of working with several dog owners who follow that crap. 1 dog was on Prozac. One was put down. One bit another owner. One bit another dog. And one would piss itself everytime I looked it in the eyes.

Bullying and teaching are two very different things.

1. the average dog doesn't bite or attack. i agree. but 100% of dogs arent average. just like a routine traffic stop is usually routine and non life threatening, but cops still get killed for stopping someone for a broken tail light. but my argument is you don't know if it will and cop doesnt take the chance. again. i'll repeat, my friends pit bull bit my boss's hand which caused nerve damage in 3 fingers. it was unprovoked. i'm sure you're aware the physical damage they can inflict. most people don't take chances of the unknown. just like people freak out around 5' corn snakes or 6' ball pythons (which are soooo fuckin' docile). personally, i know what a ball python can do and how to react to a snake bite because i've gotten bit numerous times because i owned 3 pythons. the average person doesn't know what the fuck to expect so they react in ways i wouldn't. see where i'm getting at? that's why you dont reach for a strange dog's leash, unless you feel like you want to get bit. apparently in your line of work you're use to it and it comes with the territory. most people don't feel like getting bitten. hence why i said to isavedlatin. anyone akin to a dog is gonna be bias because they are fully aware how to be around them and see signs. not everyone is and shouldn't be at fault for doing so.

also, he isn't my dog. he's not properly trained by any means, and my roommate never trained him or keeps up with his training, she doesn't walk him (i do), she hangs with her boyfiend all the time in a closed room and works the rest of the day, so he's constantly alone or with me if i'm there. he's a 7/8 year old 100 pnd dog with no formal training. he's like the orphan that had shitty foster parents who didn't teach him manners and then is expected to be chivalrous around ladies and know proper dining etiquette. I swear i feel like ving rhames in Baby boy sometimes

i only pinned him once and i didn't stand above him. he bit me, i grabbed him by the back of the neck and pinned him down with the weight of my arms, not my whole body. trying to talk politely too him/sternly wasn't working and he was showing teeth and biting. and i know not to yell,.i did not cause any physical harm. and he submitted. never once has he bitten me again in the last few months. or even growled at me. just like raising kids, a certain method that works with one kid may not work with the other. what would you suggest next time i get into a confrontation with a 100 pound dog? mind you, he's great with strangers, but never alone unfortunately. and never in large groups like parties. This is not my dog, but i feed him, i take him out for walks and i try to train him to the best of my ability as i have never trained a full grown rottweiler. only puppies to up to 18 months and my dad, uncle, and friend trained the others because they usually would be given to families who recently lost pets, and my dogs were great around people, my dogs wouldn't dare eat without me saying anything, and they were great round kids and other adults with no fuss, but they never had to be pinned down, but on occasion because they would get riled up and start lickin' away. those were my dogs. not this one. i try, but i can only do so much with his temperament. i've been around him for the last year and he's good 96% of the time, except when i was new to the apt and when my roommate left for two weeks and he was trying to be dominate and i wouldn't have it. even his behavioral trainer says he's not quite right and shows different characteristics. apparently his chemistry is is off. he's also a shelter dog that was previously abused when she got him. so.. there's that too. i just think he's a curmudgeon. (shrugs shoulders)

also apologies for insulting your dog skills, but while you feel you can grab a strange dogs leash in a controlled environment, most people don't necessarily do because of the possible outcome that can happen. dogs jump around and on people, i agree, but for far different reasons, mine use to jump around for fun and to wrestle and play. my roommates to get leverage to bite. a normal person with no dog skills wouldnt be able to tell the difference, just like a person who doesnt own a dog couldn't tell the difference when a rottweiler is barking in fear, aggression, or just wanting to go outside or play, or is happy to see you and wants to talk. im sure you'd agree.

Listen here!!! I have strong feelings about this matter and need to argue with others on the Internet about it, no matter how unsuccessful I am at swaying them! Rabble! Rabble, rabble!

or it could just be boredom. and arguments lead to new knowledge of a subject a percentage or of time.  unless someone is completely dense and ignorant. then you don't bother. 

^agreed, well put.

anyone akin to a dog is gonna be bias because they are fully aware how to be around them and see signs. not everyone is and shouldn't be at fault for doing so.

This is really the best argument anyone can make regarding the matter. That's why there are leash laws in place (at least in CA). The fact that the dog is dead is not the cop's fault, it's not the dog's fault. It's 100 percent the owner's fault. End o story

1. the average dog doesn't bite or attack. i agree. but 100% of dogs arent average. just like a routine traffic stop is usually routine and non life threatening, but cops still get killed for stopping someone for a broken tail light. but my argument is you don't know if it will and cop doesnt take the chance. again. i'll repeat, my friends pit bull bit my boss's hand which caused nerve damage in 3 fingers. it was unprovoked. i'm sure you're aware the physical damage they can inflict. most people don't take chances of the unknown. just like people freak out around 5' corn snakes or 6' ball pythons (which are soooo fuckin' docile). personally, i know what a ball python can do and how to react to a snake bite because i've gotten bit numerous times because i owned 3 pythons. the average person doesn't know what the fuck to expect so they react in ways i wouldn't. see where i'm getting at? that's why you dont reach for a strange dog's leash, unless you feel like you want to get bit. apparently in your line of work you're use to it and it comes with the territory. most people don't feel like getting bitten. hence why i said to isavedlatin. anyone akin to a dog is gonna be bias because they are fully aware how to be around them and see signs. not everyone is and shouldn't be at fault for doing so.

also, he isn't my dog. he's not properly trained by any means, and my roommate never trained him or keeps up with his training, she doesn't walk him (i do), she hangs with her boyfiend all the time in a closed room and works the rest of the day, so he's constantly alone or with me if i'm there. he's a 7/8 year old 100 pnd dog with no formal training. he's like the orphan that had shitty foster parents who didn't teach him manners and then is expected to be chivalrous around ladies and know proper dining etiquette. I swear i feel like ving rhames in Baby boy sometimes

i only pinned him once and i didn't stand above him. he bit me, i grabbed him by the back of the neck and pinned him down with the weight of my arms, not my whole body. trying to talk politely too him/sternly wasn't working and he was showing teeth and biting. and i know not to yell,.i did not cause any physical harm. and he submitted. never once has he bitten me again in the last few months. or even growled at me. just like raising kids, a certain method that works with one kid may not work with the other. what would you suggest next time i get into a confrontation with a 100 pound dog? mind you, he's great with strangers, but never alone unfortunately. and never in large groups like parties. This is not my dog, but i feed him, i take him out for walks and i try to train him to the best of my ability as i have never trained a full grown rottweiler. only puppies to up to 18 months and my dad, uncle, and friend trained the others because they usually would be given to families who recently lost pets, and my dogs were great around people, my dogs wouldn't dare eat without me saying anything, and they were great round kids and other adults with no fuss, but they never had to be pinned down, but on occasion because they would get riled up and start lickin' away. those were my dogs. not this one. i try, but i can only do so much with his temperament. i've been around him for the last year and he's good 96% of the time, except when i was new to the apt and when my roommate left for two weeks and he was trying to be dominate and i wouldn't have it. even his behavioral trainer says he's not quite right and shows different characteristics. apparently his chemistry is is off. he's also a shelter dog that was previously abused when she got him. so.. there's that too. i just think he's a curmudgeon. (shrugs shoulders)

also apologies for insulting your dog skills, but while you feel you can grab a strange dogs leash in a controlled environment, most people don't necessarily do because of the possible outcome that can happen. dogs jump around and on people, i agree, but for far different reasons, mine use to jump around for fun and to wrestle and play. my roommates to get leverage to bite. a normal person with no dog skills wouldnt be able to tell the difference, just like a person who doesnt own a dog couldn't tell the difference when a rottweiler is barking in fear, aggression, or just wanting to go outside or play, or is happy to see you and wants to talk. im sure you'd agree.

That is a much better way of putting. And I'm sorry to hear that your roommate neglects her dog.

Off topic to this thread, but for your own personal use, google alpha theory debunked. The dominance/submission thing is not real and had been widely scientifically outdated and disproven. Dogs don't attempt to dominate people. Nor can a personal make a dog submit. Only to hide a certain behaviour temporarily in fear.

Good luck with your dog.

http://www.salon.com/2013/07/07/%e2%80%9cwhy_did_you_shoot_me_i_was_reading_a_book_the_new_warrior_cop_is_out_of_control/

Article about, among other things, police brutality, militarization of police forces, the rise in police shooting dogs, the fourth amendment, and the land of the "free."

Wife and I moved in with her sister after she got a divorce. Sister-in-law has two kids with disabilities. A new nurse came today and when she was leaving I had my dogs outside on a leash and she turned around and one of them bit her on the ankle. I didn't even know it happened until my wife called from work freaking out. Nurse said she wasn't gonna do anything though. I just have to stay outside with them if I let them out when she's here.

Wife and I moved in with her sister after she got a divorce. Sister-in-law has two kids with disabilities. A new nurse came today and when she was leaving I had my dogs outside on a leash and she turned around and one of them bit her on the ankle. I didn't even know it happened until my wife called from work freaking out. Nurse said she wasn't gonna do anything though. I just have to stay outside with them if I let them out when she's here.

that sucks man.

Wife and I moved in with her sister after she got a divorce. Sister-in-law has two kids with disabilities. A new nurse came today and when she was leaving I had my dogs outside on a leash and she turned around and one of them bit her on the ankle. I didn't even know it happened until my wife called from work freaking out. Nurse said she wasn't gonna do anything though. I just have to stay outside with them if I let them out when she's here.

When you say they were on a leash, you were holding them on the leash? Or they were leashed a pole or something in the yard?

Regardless, a dog that bites will likely bite again. Save yourself a YouTube clip, and have it put down

Dogs generally bite for a handful of reasons, fear, possessiveness and protection being the most common. If those stressors or issues aren't resolved they may, to Jase's point, continue to bite. If you are unable to provide an environment that is healthy for that particular animal I'd try to find a home that can. However, if you are attentive, those behaviors can generally be trained away.